What's new

What if we're pretty much all set?

Chris

Without checking every comment that has been made about the offseason, I have a thought: What if we're pretty much all set?

I mean, if part of the plan here in this next year is to get our young team as many minutes (and as much experience) as possible do we really want to make even one significant signing this offseason? I personally have suggested offering Wes Matthews and Khris Middleton lucrative offers (because both would, I believe fit well in our system), but I'm beginning to wonder if we can just stand pat, more or less.

Consider: If we were to move Burke and say...both of our second round draft picks this year, we might be able to get a nice asset back. Cotton looks like he could capably back up Exum, and both would get enough minutes to develop well in their second years. Bring Neto over if two aren't enough, and if it's feasible to do so.

At the 2, Burks will be back and will split solid minutes with Hood. Elijah Millsap will be a capable third option.

At the 3, Hayward will continue to be solid. If we select somewhere around 11-12, I think Sam Dekker is the choice. He'll give Gordon some good rest, especially late in the season, if his legs just don't have it again at the end of next season.

At the 4, Favors and Booker are a good combo, with perhaps Jeremy Evans signed for another year or two to give us a third 4.

At the 5, Gobert is obviously the man. Bring either Pleiss or Tomic over and have Cooley as the third option. If neither Euro option is feasible, perhaps backup center is an area to address. But, in that case, I wouldn't consider that caliber of signing all that big of a deal.

The reason I propose this minimalist approach is mainly because, even though we'd like to see the Jazz make a good playoff run next season, I think getting these young players the minutes they require is the MAIN priority. And I don't think those two priorities have to be mutually exclusive. Both can happen.

Even if the Jazz hold on to Burke, I don't think that would be too bad of an idea. He does appear to have potential and a good attitude. I would prefer to move him in the type of deal I mentioned previously, but if the Jazz don't, I'll be okay with that. And I guess I'm also saying that I'll be fine if the Jazz don't set the world on fire in free agency this summer, as I personally thought they would have to if you asked me at this time last year.

Less might really be more in this case.

Cooley can't be our back up C if we want to make a run at the playoffs next season.

U see that as our biggest offseason need. DL need to address that gaping hole at the back up C.

Draft BPA(hoping Johnson drops) and try to bring over Tomic are my only goals for our offseason. Obviously don't let any great opportunities go by. If we can't get Tomic there should be other options in free agency- Biyombo stands out to me.

I'll admit my draft crush for the year is Lucas from Brazil... So finding some way to bring him in as a 3rd pg would be cool too.

I'd prefer DeMarre Carroll, Ante Tomic, and Corey Joseph instead of Grant Jerrett, Jack Cooley, and Trey Burke. Only numbnuts disagree.

Cooley can't be our back up C if we want to make a run at the playoffs next season.
U see that as our biggest offseason need. DL need to address that gaping hole at the back up C.

I didn't suggest that Cooley would be Rudy's primary backup. I said we should bring either Pleiss or Tomic over for that duty. Those two need NBA minutes too, frankly. I suggested Cooley as an acceptable third option at center.

I honestly think that a backup for Hayward at the 3 that mimics his skill set (i.e. Dekker) is just as big of a priority, alongside a backup center.

I'd prefer DeMarre Carroll, Ante Tomic, and Corey Joseph instead of Grant Jerrett, Jack Cooley, and Trey Burke. Only numbnuts disagree.
My nuts are far from numb...... despite all the snow.

Carroll, tomic, and joseph works for me

Aside from the need for a better back up C then Cooley the Jazz would need dramatic improvement from 2 of the following three. Millsap, Ingles and Burke.

This is in addition to the expected improvement of Gobert, Exum, Hood, Hayward and Favors. And the return of Burks.

Ideally this team needs another wing shooter (in addition to Hayward and Hood), a back up C and a new PG instead of Burke IMO.

My nuts are numb and even I agree.

I didn't suggest that Cooley would be Rudy's primary backup. I said we should bring either Pleiss or Tomic over for that duty. Those two need NBA minutes too, frankly. I suggested Cooley as an acceptable third option at center.

I honestly think that a backup for Hayward at the 3 that mimics his skill set (i.e. Dekker) is just as big of a priority, alongside a backup center.

Dekker needs to be able to hit 3pt shots with consistency to be of any use to us next year.

Aside from the need for a better back up C then Cooley the Jazz would need dramatic improvement from 2 of the following three. Millsap, Ingles and Burke.
This is in addition to the expected improvement of Gobert, Exum, Hood, Hayward and Favors. And the return of Burks.
Ideally this team needs another wing shooter (in addition to Hayward and Hood), a back up C and a new PG instead of Burke IMO.
Outside of a wing "shooter," I believe my proposal hits all of the areas you mentioned. I believe Sam Dekker can become a better shooter than he's been. That's the only area of his game that really needs a lot more consistency.

As far as Jingles is concerned, he's not even in my plans if you noticed. I agree about Burke for the most part, and my suggestions include Millsap being relegated to a third option at the 2.

I hear what you're saying and I agree.

Add Tomic, Demarre (although I read somewhere he likes Knicks...say it isn't so...) -resign Ingles, Keep Booker, Millsap and I'd say thats all we get

Yeah, this shouldn't even be a question. Lots of room to improve, particularly on offense. Besides the options others have listed, look out for a trade involving Treyd and the OKC pick and possibly our 1st rounder.

Compared with previous offseasons? Yeah, we're set in no uncertain terms. Any team has room to improve, as do the Jazz.

The shopping list I suspect will be as follows:

Pick up Booker T's option (this should be a given) and maybe work on an extension (MLE type money?). Pretty obvious he's a glue guy for the team and others follow his example. Whether that's a leader or not is genuinely irrelevant. Get this done.

Back up 5 (Tomic? Pleiss?). Just depth would be good here, simply because this team has shown what it can do with a good all around center. We just need a hustle guy who can block some shots, do garbage points, and board.

Evaluate the PG position. If the Jazz are sold on Exum, they need to really solidify this idea. Bring in someone who can help teach X-man the robes and buddy with the guy in practice. If Exum makes any sort of measurable jump next year, the Jazz are an extremely dangerous team (more than they already are). A 3D vet might not be a bad idea, if for a few years. Exum, being green as grass, needs the help.

The other issues are pretty much addressed by Burks return and improvement via experience. Otherwise, we're set. Unless Coach Q has other ideas, I don't see how else to improve this team without wrecking this mojo they've built.

I've been on the wing bandwagon for a long time. I've advocated going after Wes, or Carroll or Snell or Middleton. Now? Now way.

There is 96 mins at the 2/3 per game. Burks, Hood and Hayward should each get 30. Ingles can get 10. Money spent on a wing is wasted money.

Trade Burke and OKC pick for a backup PG.

Sign Boom Bitches as a backup C.

Draft BPA.

Win 50 games. Easy-peasy.

Without checking every comment that has been made about the offseason, I have a thought: What if we're pretty much all set?

I mean, if part of the plan here in this next year is to get our young team as many minutes (and as much experience) as possible do we really want to make even one significant signing this offseason? I personally have suggested offering Wes Matthews and Khris Middleton lucrative offers (because both would, I believe fit well in our system), but I'm beginning to wonder if we can just stand pat, more or less.

Consider: If we were to move Burke and say...both of our second round draft picks this year, we might be able to get a nice asset back. Cotton looks like he could capably back up Exum, and both would get enough minutes to develop well in their second years. Bring Neto over if two aren't enough, and if it's feasible to do so.

At the 2, Burks will be back and will split solid minutes with Hood. Elijah Millsap will be a capable third option.

At the 3, Hayward will continue to be solid. If we select somewhere around 11-12, I think Sam Dekker is the choice. He'll give Gordon some good rest, especially late in the season, if his legs just don't have it again at the end of next season.

At the 4, Favors and Booker are a good combo, with perhaps Jeremy Evans signed for another year or two to give us a third 4.

At the 5, Gobert is obviously the man. Bring either Pleiss or Tomic over and have Cooley as the third option. If neither Euro option is feasible, perhaps backup center is an area to address. But, in that case, I wouldn't consider that caliber of signing all that big of a deal.

The reason I propose this minimalist approach is mainly because, even though we'd like to see the Jazz make a good playoff run next season, I think getting these young players the minutes they require is the MAIN priority. And I don't think those two priorities have to be mutually exclusive. Both can happen.

Even if the Jazz hold on to Burke, I don't think that would be too bad of an idea. He does appear to have potential and a good attitude. I would prefer to move him in the type of deal I mentioned previously, but if the Jazz don't, I'll be okay with that. And I guess I'm also saying that I'll be fine if the Jazz don't set the world on fire in free agency this summer, as I personally thought they would have to if you asked me at this time last year.

Less might really be more in this case.
You dumpin Jingles?

Outside of a wing "shooter," I believe my proposal hits all of the areas you mentioned. I believe Sam Dekker can become a better shooter than he's been. That's the only area of his game that really needs a lot more consistency.

As far as Jingles is concerned, he's not even in my plans if you noticed. I agree about Burke for the most part, and my suggestions include Millsap being relegated to a third option at the 2.

I hear what you're saying and I agree.
You are dumping Jingles! I think this is a mistake, not because you can't find a better basketball player, but because I'm not sure you can find a better teammate. This bloke is a rare find from a team culture standpoint.

While I agree with naos (adding carroll, tomic, joseph)
I'm also fine with letting the cake bake.

(Can't remember the poster that has been pimping that phrase but I love it)

While I agree with naos (adding carroll, tomic, joseph)
I'm also fine with letting the cake bake.

(Can't remember the poster that has been pimping that phrase but I love it)

Agreed in large part, don't make any big moves right now. Would love to see a better backup big, but otherwise lets see how Burks and Hood do next year. The end of next year we will be in a lot better position to really know what we need to make noise in the playoffs.

I've been on the wing bandwagon for a long time. I've advocated going after Wes, or Carroll or Snell or Middleton. Now? Now way.
There is 96 mins at the 2/3 per game. Burks, Hood and Hayward should each get 30. Ingles can get 10. Money spent on a wing is wasted money.
I agree...somewhat. I don't think we need to sign a quality swingman, but we should draft one. And more of a 3-4 than a 2-3, which is why I think Sam Dekker would be a good fit.