What's new

What is Rudy's ceiling?

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Not sure Rudy's defense can get much better but how much better could his offense become? That drive and layup he had last night was something we haven't really seen. Could he become dominant on both ends? And if he improves his offense like he's been improving everything else over the last couple of years could he possibly reach MVP status? He's 24 years old. He plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. He's resilient. What do you think?

I think he will continue to improve for the next couple seasons. I am not sure it will be MVP worthy.

But I'm not really willing to bet against Gobert either. He will do it just because someone said he couldn't

Not sure Rudy's defense can get much better but how much better could his offense become? That drive and layup he had last night was something we haven't really seen. Could he become dominant on both ends? And if he improves his offense like he's been improving everything else over the last couple of years could he possibly reach MVP status? He's 24 years old. He plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. He's resilient. What do you think?

No way in hell he'll ever be top 5 in MVP voting. You gotta score 25 a game to be in that discussion and he's never sniffing that.

his offensive potential could be about ~18ppg i think. considering hes getting to the low-mid teens in ppg regularly now from putbacks and the occasional lob, he could get to 20 ppg if he improves his ft a bit more and develops 2 consistent post moves.

he will never be in the MVP discussion. however he could be DPotY on the regular, has all-star potential, and every team from top to bottom will/already want him on their roster.

His ceiling depends on his fire to keep improving his game. I can see him developing. Post game in a few years so his ceiling to me is like Vlade Divac or Sabonis but slightly less talent and success. He is a defensive anchor so he will always help his team win which means he will always get recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I don't think he has natural fluidity or grace to ever become serious offensive threat. Having said that he can easily be perennial DPOY and All-Star just by being dominant defensive force like B.Wallace.

I think he will continue to improve for the next couple seasons. I am not sure it will be MVP worthy.

But I'm not really willing to bet against Gobert either. He will do it just because someone said he couldn't
This.
I dont think he can be a type of guy that you can just dump the ball down to him for buckets at will..... But with Rudy's drive, determination, intensity and ferocity I would never bet against him.

Must spread the rep.

His ceiling depends on his fire to keep improving his game. I can see him developing. Post game in a few years so his ceiling to me is like Vlade Divac or Sabonis but slightly less talent and success. He is a defensive anchor so he will always help his team win which means he will always get recognition.

I don't know how you can say "Sabonis" with slightly less talent + success. Sabonis was lightyear away with his scoring and passing, that's like saying Alec Burks ceiling is MJ with less success.

I don't know how you can say "Sabonis" with slightly less talent + success. Sabonis was lightyear away with his scoring and passing, that's like saying Alec Burks ceiling is MJ with less success.

And it is! Just never gonna happen. Just like Rudy probably.

Last edited:
I think if he can continue on his current development trajectory that he will win multiple DPOYs in the coming seasons and at the very least, be in the conversation for the foreseeable future.

He has to prove he can either make some sort of post move outside of 5 feet or hit a jump shot consistently. Until then his ceiling is what we are seeing, just with natural maturation, physically and mentally. His random drive game is cool when defenses fall asleep, but I dont trust it. He flails and seems to get called for offensive fouls. That and he keeps pivoting into the defender on fake DHO, which depending on the ref crew, can always be called as a moving screen.

The HOF! I kinda like his chances at aging like Mutombo (who was 1yr older than Rudy right now in his rookie year)

Gobert's ceiling? How about Hassan Whiteside? Just kidding. I think a somewhat less physical (and durable) Robert Parish is his ceiling. I think he will always be a complementary scorer.

He has to prove he can either make some sort of post move outside of 5 feet or hit a jump shot consistently. Until then his ceiling is what we are seeing, just with natural maturation, physically and mentally. His random drive game is cool when defenses fall asleep, but I dont trust it. He flails and seems to get called for offensive fouls. That and he keeps pivoting into the defender on fake DHO, which depending on the ref crew, can always be called as a moving screen.

If someone had predicted last year(or even the year before) that he would have arguably the most solid hands on our team this year what would you have said?

Crazy. He's got a lot of time to improve.

There's such a strong case of constant improvement with Gobert it really portends well for future development. I remember posting in the draftees thread way back that I believed he could be a 70's type of FT shooter!!!

Rudy's ascension is reminiscent of an NBA quality big hitting their stride in college, except obviously Rudy's doing this in the best league on the planet.

He will never be a go to scorer, but I can see him developing his roll game better so that he can average close to 18 points per game.
As far as defense, he can go as high as he wants, he is a the best rim protector in the league and is only gonna improve.
I dont wanna say he wont improve on offense though, I mean he has crazy fire.
The improvement of his hands is a welcome improvement though