What's new

What is Walker Kessler's upside?

I think his upside is to be about as good as that ex ute center that plays for the spurs. A decent starter. i think his lack of athleticism and shooting prevents him from reaching all star levels.
Dude, I like Jacob Poetl I really do but I’m not seeing Poetl having the same defensive impact in games that Kessler is already enjoying. No reason we can’t have another future DPOY with this kid IMO. And by the way, Gobert was absolutely awful, barely playable his first year in the league.

I actually think Kessler isn't too far off from Jarrett Allen in a few years time. Probably with a better shot-selection. I guess I would go as far to say that Kessler has a higher ceiling. He is impressive!

I think he will have a better career than someone like Elden Campbell, who played a long time in the league and was OK.

It was interesting watching Kessler last night on the defensive end. He is super disciplined in boxing out for rebounds and not over defending jump shooters. As soon as a shot would leave the offensive player's hands he immediately would get in position for a rebound. Right now I think his best attributes are his understanding and feel for the game. It's funny that he looks like Hardy, since they seem to have a lot of the same qualities.

As far as upside, I'm really not sure. Since he isn't overly athletic or seems to have a lot of potential as a shooter, he probably never makes an all star team or anything like that.

Kessler is so far from having a usable NBA jump shot it's not funny. Let's just push the brakes on him taking any outside shots this season. His first goal should be to reach that elusive 60% from the FT line.

As a shot blocker though, his timing is just fantastic for a young big, one of the best I've ever seen. He's extremely patient (which is super rare for a rookie) and knows how to commit to the block at the last possible moment.

Kessler has a lot to learn, but I like having him out there. He's one of those dudes who just seems to make good things happen.

Ironically, I think his lack of vertical helps him as a shot blocker. He's long enough to block shots while on the ground. It's similar to Brook Lopez. No one can fake him out because he hardly leaves the ground to begin with. What he's lacking is the brute strength that Lopez has, but he's very young and will get stronger with time.

Ironically, I think his lack of vertical helps him as a shot blocker. He's long enough to block shots while on the ground. It's similar to Brook Lopez. No one can fake him out because he hardly leaves the ground to begin with. What he's lacking is the brute strength that Lopez has, but he's very young and will get stronger with time.
That's why I thought Robin Lopez is a good comp. The lesser of the Lopez brothers.

RoLo was the one that helped Lauri immensely during his first years with the Bulls. I would say Kessler is more versatile especially if he can create a jump shot. A hook shot wouldn't be a bad tool out of RoLo's toolbox.

Remember that Gobert was playing in the D-league his rookie season. I think Kessler could become 80-90 percent of Gobert is defensively, and better on offense.

So we traded Gobert at 40,000,000+ /yr for a more well-rounded replacement + several rotation pieces + 4 first rounders (perhaps a lottery pick this year)... and a swap.

The Minnesota T-Wolves organization as a whole will need PTSD trauma therapy for the next decade.

Remember that Gobert was playing in the D-league his rookie season. I think Kessler could become 80-90 percent of Gobert is defensively, and better on offense.

So we traded Gobert at 40,000,000+ /yr for a more well-rounded replacement + several rotation pieces + 4 first rounders (perhaps a lottery pick this year)... and a swap.

The Minnesota T-Wolves organization as a whole will need PTSD trauma therapy for the next decade.
Unless he grows about 4 inches in length, not going to happen

When two packed busses roll up to the SFA in ATL, all fans of the man, you know he bought the tickets for them lol
Kessler has the benefit of prototypical measurements in reach, wingspan, and being a true 7'er that match most starting centers.
I think he is easily capable of being a starting 5 at some point if he can improve his charity shot % and get more O-Rebs