What's new

What Price Should the Jazz Extend THT?

THT averaging

15, 4.7, 4.7 on 46/40 from the field and 3 in 3 pre-season games in 21 MPG

Per 36 that's about 26-8-8

That's at 22 years old playing PG after playing it for the first time in his career for about 25 games.
If he holds those percentages he would be worth what you proposed. But that’s like 10%+ increase in shooting percentages… I’m not buying until I see him maintain it.

If he holds those percentages he would be worth what you proposed. But that’s like 10%+ increase in shooting percentages… I’m not buying until I see him maintain it.
Yeah, he's obviously not a 40% 3pt shooter, but I think if he mostly takes good shots he is around 33-35%

I would pass on giving an extension on THT and use that money on someone like Fultz who is still young himself and a better PG. He can't really shoot either which is a reason I think Orlando might just let him walk next summer if they don't trade him during the season. A healthy Lonzo would've been a great fit too but sadly his career might be shot.

I would pass on giving an extension on THT and use that money on someone like Fultz who is still young himself and a better PG. He can't really shoot either which is a reason I think Orlando might just let him walk next summer if they don't trade him during the season.
Yeah, non-shooters are available for a reason.

Better not to repeat someone else's mistakes.

Also, what 2024 free agent are we targeting and how much cap room to we need to keep dry for them?

Looking over the list, there is no way that jumps out to me as a great fit.

Middleton would be interesting, but his health scares me.

Siakim would be interesting as well, but it's pretty much a no-go if we have Collins on the team.

Might be smart to wrap up THT before he blows up.

I would pass on giving an extension on THT and use that money on someone like Fultz who is still young himself and a better PG. He can't really shoot either which is a reason I think Orlando might just let him walk next summer if they don't trade him during the season. A healthy Lonzo would've been a great fit too but sadly his career might be shot.
Fultz is 2.5 years older and is terrified to shoot.

THT put up better stats post ASB than Fultz did. Both played on "tanking" teams.

I just find it hard to justify lusting after Fultz when you got THT unless you're just a hater.

4/60 would be wild imo… he put up numbers in a tanking situation and statistically is one of the worst shooters in the league still. A couple preseason games is great but no need to overreact. The leverage in these situations is with the team… so negotiate accordingly.
Agreed. And yet it is precisely what many on this board are doing about Keynote and those were summer league games. Lots of overreaction with very little data. We have a lot more to go on with THT than Keynote.

We also need to keep around $12 million in space to be able to renegotiate and extend Lauri next off season. With the ten players we have under contract, we are at just under $100 million with $142 being the official estimation for cap number next season. If we extend THT for his max, we will have spent $115 million. I assume we want to keep both Olynyk and Dunn and if they get a combined $15 million, we are done.

There are obviously moves to be made if we want to, but extending players that will make double digit million dollar salaries will mean that we will have to move other players if we want to do something in free agency.

Keyonte may take over the starting role by later this season. I'd hold off on THT until we know what his minutes are going to look like.

Hell why hold back? 14 years, $700 million. He should get ALL the monies! He will lead us to the promised land!

THT averaging

15, 4.7, 4.7 on 46/40 from the field and 3 in 3 pre-season games in 21 MPG

Per 36 that's about 26-8-8

That's at 22 years old playing PG after playing it for the first time in his career for about 25 games.
Reminds me of another all-time great player that set all kinds of records....none other than Morris Almond! Remember those 50-point games! He was the GOAT!

Yeah, he's obviously not a 40% 3pt shooter, but I think if he mostly takes good shots he is around 33-35%
I mean I get you like THT and I'm beginning to see some reasons to keep him as well, but you gotta be realistic. If we keep him it would be "despite his poor 3P shooting".

All he shoots is open shots. He has taken 529 three point shots in his career:
1 has come against very tight coverage (0-2f t)
16 have come against tight coverage (2-4 ft)
172 have been open (4-6 ft)
340 have been wide open (6+ ft)

On wide open shots alone, he is 29.4% with 100/340.

For reference, here are all splits from his career based on closest defender:
2022-23
1697445127664.png
2021-22
1697445471948.png
2020-21
1697445533692.png
2019-20
1697445574832.png

I could get behind 4/60, four million for 60 years. Now that's value!