What's new

What Say You JazzFanz?

Let's say the guy was robbing a pharmacy and a cop shot at him and missed. What if that bullet hits an innocent bystander. Does the guy bear responsibility for the innocent bystander?

Just asking cuz I'm pretty sure the innocent bystander is why laws like this exist.

Exactly - you're not supposed to take the law into your own hands (when it's outside your house, property, car, boat, etc). Policemen have protections under the law to do what they have to to do what they do, us civilians don't.

Exactly - you're not supposed to take the law into your own hands (when it's outside your house, property, car, boat, etc). Policemen have protections under the law to do what they have to to do what they do, us civilians don't.

The guilt of the old man is a separate issue from the guilt of the burglar.

Further the justification for the use of deadly force is the same for police as it is for private citizens. If a cop shot the woman in the back the DA could charge him/her with murder. The actions of cops aren't scrutinized to the same degree because they have the burden of pursuing the person, but the laws don't protect them from prosecution if the person wasn't an imminent threat.

The guilt of the old man is a separate issue from the guilt of the burglar.

Further the justification for the use of deadly force is the same for police as it is for private citizens. If a cop shot the woman in the back the DA could charge him/her with murder. The actions of cops aren't scrutinized to the same degree because they have the burden of pursuing the person, but the laws don't protect them from prosecution if the person wasn't an imminent threat.

Ah ok, here in NZ the police are protected (otherwise they'll have to think twice about EVERYTHING that they do, and they cannot perform their duties fully if they think they'll get charged later on).

If their actions are questionable, then they are subjected to the Police Commissioner's investigation who can make a judgement from there about how serious the conducts were outside the line of duty and what not.

Ah ok, here in NZ the police are protected (otherwise they'll have to think twice about EVERYTHING that they do, and they cannot perform their duties fully if they think they'll get charged later on).

If their actions are questionable, then they are subjected to the Police Commissioner's investigation who can make a judgement from there about how serious the conducts were outside the line of duty and what not.

The District Attorney

Anyone in the US may be charged with a crime no matter who they are. Cops should think twice. The decision to take someone's life is a srs one. You better be damn sure you're justified in doing it.

If a private citizen/cop finds themselves in the situation that they can save a life or prevent srs bodily harm by taking the life of the aggressor they are justified. No one has the right to execute burglars.

The District Attorney

Anyone in the US may be charged with a crime no matter who they are. Cops should think twice. The decision to take someone's life is a srs one. You better be damn sure you're justified in doing it.

If a private citizen/cop finds themselves in the situation that they can save a life or prevent srs bodily harm by taking the life of the aggressor they are justified. No one has the right to execute burglars.

Well cops in NZ don't have guns... (only tasers and in only serious situations only) so chances of them ended up killing someone by 'accident' is pretty slim.

If situation does get really serious though there's the Special Tactics Group (kinda like US SWAT team) that'll take care of things.

But would you find the robber guilty of the murder though? That's the question. The 80 year old is not being charged, it's the robber who's being charged.

I thought the debate was about the 80 year old.

Yes I would find the robber guilty. I'm all for that law (that if you commit a felony and someone dies because of the felony, it's your *** on the line) in the sense of the deterrent it might serve.

The District Attorney

Yeah, but this isn't just a simple burglary case. It may have started out as a burglary but it turned into a Robbery when they tried to physically beat their way out of the situation, causing serious bodily injury in the process. I'm not saying he was right or wrong to shoot without knowing more details about the case, but I also don't think it's as simple as the 80 year old just deciding to execute the burglars.

I am very much in favor of charging the male robber with murder. He was in the act of commiting a felony when someone died. If he hadn't been commiting the felony then no one would have died.

Felony murder when the death is of a victim/bystander, I get. It seems to me that felony-murder here puts too little weight on the notion that the woman was also committing a felony. I didn't see anything in the original story that a reasonably fit woman in her late teens-40s could not have done on her own. I don't see making one burglar responsible for the death of an accomplice as justice. If the woman was coerced/tricked in some fashion, I might change my mind on that.

Felony murder when the death is of a victim/bystander, I get. It seems to me that felony-murder here puts too little weight on the notion that the woman was also committing a felony. I didn't see anything in the original story that a reasonably fit woman in her late teens-40s could not have done on her own. I don't see making one burglar responsible for the death of an accomplice as justice. If the woman was coerced/tricked in some fashion, I might change my mind on that.

I see justice in the fact that he broke the law and the fall out from that falls on him. In this case part of the result of him breaking the law was the death of his partner. Plus assault on the 80 year old. IMO the cops should hit him with assault, robbery and 2nd degree murder.

They should also charge the 80 year old with 2nd degree murder.

I see justice in the fact that he broke the law and the fall out from that falls on him. In this case part of the result of him breaking the law was the death of his partner. Plus assault on the 80 year old. IMO the cops should hit him with assault, robbery and 2nd degree murder.

They should also charge the 80 year old with 2nd degree murder.

I understand the POV; I just disagree.

Yeah, but this isn't just a simple burglary case. It may have started out as a burglary but it turned into a Robbery when they tried to physically beat their way out of the situation, causing serious bodily injury in the process. I'm not saying he was right or wrong to shoot without knowing more details about the case, but I also don't think it's as simple as the 80 year old just deciding to execute the burglars.

I wasn't trying to be hyperbolic.

kink and I had moved on to a more general discussion and had left most of the specifics in the case to the side for a minute. I chose the word execute because kill or shoot wouldn't be appropriate. I could have chosen a better word.

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];881242 said:
We need international panel for deciding who can get guns who cannot. American, they do not deserve guns clearly. 6 hundred tines murder rate over North Africa what thee hell bros?

Might just be other places are not good at record keeping, not everywhere can be as safe and good at record keeping as Russia bro.