What's new

What should we do next year?

What should we do next year?

• Trade one of Kanter/Favors for potential star (Bledsoe? Wall? Lillard?), tank, get a pick in '14

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Seriously, I could make a post ranting and raving about the Millers, KOC and Ty.
But I won't. I'm very disappointed and frustrated by this season. But I also realize it takes a couple of years to fully implement a plamn once it's been decided upon.

1) KOC's first plan to rebuild the Jazz (after Stockton, Malone and Hornacek retired) was to go after young FA's who still had upside. He struck out the 1st year when offers were matched. He then turned his attention to players who were underutilized and got Boozer and Okur. Then he shrewdly traded up to rob Portland and nab Deron. Pretty decent rebuild as the team went to the WC finals. Had Boozer just given some effort on defense or AK not turned all EMO, and had those two been able to stay healthy, Utah just might have been a serious contender.

2) Deron turned all Diva, but KOC tried to appease him by bringing in a big to replace Carlos. But Al couldn't learn the P&R and Deron somehow couldn't remember that he, too, was once a rookie, chucking the ball at Gordon in one game, then deciding he was just too good to run Sloan's plays.

3) On to a new rebuild. Clearly, the Jazz have committed to a youth movement, while still trying to win and make the playoffs. Yes, it would have been nice to trade Al or Paul for prospects. In the end, I doubt there were good deals available that didn't also include taking on longer-term salaries. And that's the line in the sand that KOC has drawn. He took a chance with Marvin - and lost. But that's a salary that doesn't hamper the team that much...it's off the books before Favors and Hayward get their big contracts.

I'll wait until this summer and the next deadline to pass judgment. KOC is obviously banking on being a facilitator as teams sell on the cheap to get under the tax threshold. Jazz will have a boatload of cap space. IF a decent FA or trade isn't available, Jazz just need to go "lean" as Locke called it. I'm willing to see a 30-win team, if it means the youngsters are all getting 30 mins.

Where the **** is the option to start the Core 4 and make the playoffs. Why in the bloody hell do we need to tank next year!!!!!
Exactly. And the Jazz don't need to just sign scraps. By NOT re-signing Al and Paul, KOC has the financial ability to go out and get a decent SF, get a solid 3rd big, get a young PG to backup Mo (and I say that because we all KNOW Mo is coming back). Whether the Jazz do that with picks, or use their cap space to enable a desperate team to get under the tax threshold is TBD. But I believe that is what KOC is banking on.

Where the **** is the option to start the Core 4 and make the playoffs. Why in the bloody hell do we need to tank next year!!!!!

Well in that case choose sign Sap and play for the playoffs. He's still young enough and is a fighter. We won't be in the lottery if we have him.

Exactly. And the Jazz don't need to just sign scraps. By NOT re-signing Al and Paul, KOC has the financial ability to go out and get a decent SF, get a solid 3rd big, get a young PG to backup Mo (and I say that because we all KNOW Mo is coming back). Whether the Jazz do that with picks, or use their cap space to enable a desperate team to get under the tax threshold is TBD. But I believe that is what KOC is banking on.

If we'd learn anything from this season it's that we can't always rely on these older PGs... they do break down.. we have 3 beginning of the season and it's still not enough...

We need a long term solution imo..

If we'd learn anything from this season it's that we can't always rely on these older PGs... they do break down.. we have 3 beginning of the season and it's still not enough...

We need a long term solution imo..
I agree. But remember Stockton was brought in to backup Green for a few years before he clearly outplayed him and took over. It would be different if we had a Deron waiting in the wings to replace a Palacio. Really depends on who is available. Will KOC get a PG in the draft, go after a FA like Jack, or use assets to get a player like Bledsoe? If the Jazz draft a PG, then he'll get limited mins in Year #1 behind Mo, then up his minutes in Year 2 and be ready to split time with or replace Mo as the starter in Year 3 (if all goes according to plan). Also don't forget Burks may become part of the equation as a combo guard. He's been pretty solid in his limited experience this year. I expect him to only get better at the PG position going forward.

I agree. But remember Stockton was brought in to backup Green for a few years before he clearly outplayed him and took over. It would be different if we had a Deron waiting in the wings to replace a Palacio. Really depends on who is available. Will KOC get a PG in the draft, go after a FA like Jack, or use assets to get a player like Bledsoe? If the Jazz draft a PG, then he'll get limited mins in Year #1 behind Mo, then up his minutes in Year 2 and be ready to split time with or replace Mo as the starter in Year 3 (if all goes according to plan). Also don't forget Burks may become part of the equation as a combo guard. He's been pretty solid in his limited experience this year. I expect him to only get better at the PG position going forward.

Yes that's true. That's how KOC would do it. (i.e., Al mentoring Favors/Kanter). I guess it'll depend on how strongly Mo can come back after his injury.

Otherwise Tinsley as the 1st option, backed up by a STUD rookie in the draft, backed up by Watson, backed up by Burks could also be the way to go. Saves some money too.

Keep in mind, the teams that make the conference finala, NBA finals and win championships have superstars. The Jazz don't have a superstar at this point. They're unlikely to attract one through free agency. So their only hope is to draft one, hope he develops rapidly, and hope he stays loyal to the Jazz. Otherwise, no matter what we do, our ceiling is probably a 2nd-round appearance. The good news is that the Jazz are in a decent position with a supporting cast across the board that if they do get a superstar, we'll have a complete, contending team.

The Jazz are one decent point guard away from being the Memphis Grizzlies or Denver Nuggets. However, neither of those teams would be expected to get out of the 2nd round.

We're also one superstar away from being the Thunder.