What's new

What the hell is going on with will smith?

Cmon dude, it was more of an uneasy polite smile at the moment of delivery until he felt the slow burn of discovery. Chris Rock spits em out staccato style. Remember too that this is the same guy that ripped Jada a few years ago with the line “Jada Pinkett Smith boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited to that show either.”

No it wasn’t. It was genuine laughing for five seconds.

And who cares about some joke from years ago. That’s what Rock does. Make jokes that at a ceremony like this usually entails making fun of a handful or two of people in the audience over the course of the night.

No it wasn’t. It was genuine laughing for five seconds.

And who cares about some joke from years ago. That’s what Rock does. Make jokes that at a ceremony like this usually entails making fun of a handful or two of people in the audience over the course of the night.
Think what you want since the camera was only on Smith for about a second by my count. Regarding Rock’s past Jada joke I was only providing possible context.

Actually I provided all of the pertinent details last night before they were made accessible for public consumption and now left wondering why the hell for? Yeah it was just staged that’s it. :rolleyes:

I am in no way condoning Smith's violence. He should be arrested, and is lucky Rock is not pressing charges.

However, let's not underestimate the importance of hair to many people. Intentional or not, Rock's joke caused some real pain, and he should know better.
This. The better way to handle it imo would be to let the joke fall flat in the moment, then approach him afterward and explain what it meant and the pain it caused. They know each other. It isn't like some stranger in the mall following you around calling your wife a fat whore or something. But Will had to show his wife he was an alpha male protecting her honor in front of the entire world, because she cannot be embarrassed, you know along with everyone else who gets roasted at these things. She can laugh at them though, so that's ok. They should have handled this way differently than they did.

1. Chris Rock was just presenting the best documentary award, he wasn't the host. Roasting people isn't his job.
2. It was ableist and demeaning. It was punching down.
3. While Will Smith was absolutely in the wrong to hit HIM - on live national television - remember that he was deep in his emotions at that point. While it wasn't the first time he was nominated for an Oscar, it was the first time in 15 years, and the first time he really had a great shot (as evidenced by his win).
4. When was the last time anybody really cared what happened at the Oscars?

This. The better way to handle it imo would be to let the joke fall flat in the moment, then approach him afterward and explain what it meant and the pain it caused. They know each other. It isn't like some stranger in the mall following you around calling your wife a fat whore or something. But Will had to show his wife he was an alpha male protecting her honor in front of the entire world, because she cannot be embarrassed, you know along with everyone else who gets roasted at these things. She can laugh at them though, so that's ok. They should have handled this way differently than they did.
That's exactly right. An emotional outburst followed by slapping someone attenuates your position, and makes you look foolish.

If Will had simply waited, or even let Rock know then and there that making fun of an auto-immune disease is an awful thing to do, then Will Smith will have properly gotten his point across.

And if you actually decide to ignore a logical and reasoned response, because you have to "be a man" and go defend your woman's honor by striking someone, don't slap them. Knock their *** out.

Watching the video a few times I have a hard time thinking it was a real slap. Their movements seem choreographed and follow the technique used by actors to make a strike look real when it isn't. Also doesn't seem natural for an enraged person to storm up then slap another person like it's 1682 and you're in Louis XIV's court challenging another noble to a duel then walk away. Doesn't seem natural for a person being slapped to "turn the other cheek" like that either. Rock had an amused look, not a WTF was that **** look.

I don't know. Weird *** thing to stage and very cringe-inducing reaction by Smith afterwards. Strange situation.

EDIT:

Okay I was wrong. It was a real slap.

Last edited:
“Keep my wife’s name out of your mouth”

Also known as things Will Smith did not say to his sons friend.

To answer the OP’s question, this is sometimes called “cuck rage”, or “rage of the cuck”.

1. Chris Rock was just presenting the best documentary award, he wasn't the host. Roasting people isn't his job.
2. It was ableist and demeaning. It was punching down.
3. While Will Smith was absolutely in the wrong to hit HIM - on live national television - remember that he was deep in his emotions at that point. While it wasn't the first time he was nominated for an Oscar, it was the first time in 15 years, and the first time he really had a great shot (as evidenced by his win).
4. When was the last time anybody really cared what happened at the Oscars?

Gives every dickhead in a comedy licence to be a tool tho

hopefully this means Ricky Gervais gets asked to host next year to introduce some good taste jokes
I really dislike Gervais. Seems so ****ing smug and full of himself. I watched whatever show it was where they were in a retirement home, he was good in that. Watched idiot abroad, good show, but Gervais was a douche in that. His stand up make him very unlikable. Often very funny, but unlikable.

I really dislike Gervais. Seems so ****ing smug and full of himself. I watched whatever show it was where they were in a retirement home, he was good in that. Watched idiot abroad, good show, but Gervais was a douche in that. His stand up make him very unlikable. Often very funny, but unlikable.

he is pretty sour and very sarcastic English humor Funny yet pretty cringy

I agree with this. I will say I thought the stuff he did with the golden globes was absolutely hilarious.

Funny story, I went downstairs a little bit ago and my wife was watching the Oscars on DVR. I ask her,
"So, you're watching the Oscars?"
"Yep."
"Have you done a pretty good job avoiding spoilers?"
"Yeah, pretty good."
"You've heard some stuff then?"
"Yeah, some stuff."
"Like what have you heard?"
"I guess Will Smith did something."
"Something?"
"Yeah, I don't know, I heard Will Smith did something."
"Okay... Have fun!"
I watched for a minute but that **** is like 4hrs and even though my wife was FFW through most of the filler I couldn't wait.

Funny story, I went downstairs a little bit ago and my wife was watching the Oscars on DVR. I ask her,
"So, you're watching the Oscars?"
"Yep."
"Have you done a pretty good job avoiding spoilers?"
"Yeah, pretty good."
"You've heard some stuff then?"
"Yeah, some stuff."
"Like what have you heard?"
"I guess Will Smith did something."
"Something?"
"Yeah, I don't know, I heard Will Smith did something."
"Okay... Have fun!"
I watched for a minute but that **** is like 4hrs and even though my wife was FFW through most of the filler I couldn't wait.
I showed this to my wife and she was like "Do you just make fun of me on Jazzfanz?" She had come up to ask about the incident because most of it was muted on her DVR recording. I don't think I use jazfanzz to bag on my wife.