What's new

What to do with Taylor Hendricks year one

RyGuy

So I'm curious what everyone thinks the best development path for Taylor Hendricks is. Would he develop better getting 25 - 30 minutes a night in the G league working on self creation and iso or getting 7 -10 minutes a night in the NBA with NBA coaching and training facilities. He's probably going to be the fifth forward on the depth chart to start the season which is why I limited his minutes to 7 - 10 in the NBA.

Obviously right now everyone is expecting John Collins to start. I believe the Jazz want to increase his trade value and with the size of his contract if we can increase his trade value he will be a part of a potential star trade. That may not happen until year 2 or his final year of his contract. Or maybe Hendricks and Collins can coexist permanently. Either way I think everyone does invision Hendricks being a starter at some point.

For the Jazz to be true contenders I think Taylor Hendricks needs to become one of our 4 main players. Along with Lauri, Kessler, and Keyonte.

So to make this happen, what is the best path for Hendricks development?

GLeague. Let him play in the Jazz system and have Coach Woj coach him up.
Nah, we aren't that good anyway. No reason not to get him regular minutes in the big leagues. Just need to insert him into the rotation and see how he does. Bring him off the bench initially, challenge him to earn minutes and even earn a starting role.

18-22 mpg at the beginning of the season. There really isn't a reason not to. Sure, have Collins start, but Lauri is obviously getting minutes at the 3. Get this guy on the floor as a backup big. Or, hell, even give him the same kind of minutes Lauri is getting (meaning minutes as a third big on the floor, not the quantity of minutes Lauri is getting). Sure, we need Olynyk to facilitate ball movement, but we also need to consider that we kinda pseudo-ish tanked to get Hendricks and we're not going to be super competitive this year, and Hendricks minutes isn't going to make or break that, so both he and George need minutes because we need to get any kind of idea of what's there because we're going to have to make some consolidation trades (in multiple spots) sooner rather than later. Whether he pans out or busts, it's not going to benefit us to take the Jermaine O'Neal approach, but we and others are going to make stupid arguments justifying why we are in the event that we do.

the way i see it, there are three tiers of players on the team: the twenties, the twenty fives and the thirties. the rooks and sophs are twenties along with tht, and sexton. Laurie, John and some end of roster guys are in the twentyfives. Finally we have Olynick and Clarkson in the thirties. the fact that we have those two at all says the team wants to win now, so the second two tiers will get most of the time while the twenties learn either with limited minutes or G/DLeague time. frankly, i'd rather give the young players more time, but i do like to get wins regardless of who we have.

We should trade him while we can still get something for him...;) (Sarcasm in case you were wondering)

We're so stacked at the 4 and 5 but this dude is legit.

Once Hendricks shows he's legit I see Olynyk getting traded; that way Hendricks and Collins can get more minutes, we get an asset and we're still solid with depth.

I would like to see him guard opposing perimeter players. Not just switch onto a guard in a pinch, but chase a guy around screens, help from different spots on the court etc. It's not something he did in college, but maybe that was just a role limitation. I think he's a little upright, but if he can improve his stance he could become a valuable perimeter defender like McDaniels.

Curious to see where the Jazz take his development, however. I wonder if they will try to bulk him up because he wasn't the best rebounder in college to begin with.

If Collins continues to struggle with his 3 pt %, I hope that by that determination that Hendricks has been primed and ready to assume the starting role. As one writer opined, Collins currently makes more sense in the second unit with Olynyk on the floor playing stretch ball for Collins to post and pick n’ roll. Hendricks on the other hand had a great stretch game in college and compliments Kessler. Also makes more sense from a rebounding perspective.

Last edited:
Carve out 15 minutes for him hopefully from day 1 and go from there. Without a trade or injury it will be hard to do more.

I think his playing time will be directly tied into his shooting. If he comes into preseason shooting the skin off the ball, he will get time. If he struggles, he will get g-leagued. Shooting is his nba skill. That will need to stabilize for him to be put on the fast track. Shooting a high percentage is very difficult for rookies.

I would like to see him guard opposing perimeter players. Not just switch onto a guard in a pinch, but chase a guy around screens, help from different spots on the court etc. It's not something he did in college, but maybe that was just a role limitation. I think he's a little upright, but if he can improve his stance he could become a valuable perimeter defender like McDaniels.

Curious to see where the Jazz take his development, however. I wonder if they will try to bulk him up because he wasn't the best rebounder in college to begin with.
So I get what you're saying, and playing is better than not playing, but Hendricks is really intriguing as a 3-5 but his intrigue falls off a cliff for me if he's basically playing guard. Just makes him a tall, worse-shooting Ochai. Would be an interesting approach developmentally but we would need to prepare ourselves that he is basically invisible or just flat out bad in that context (which can hamper his development).

G league for ~25-30games depending on his play, work ethic, etc. I estimate it would take about the long for him to get his legs under him again, get comfortable in a professional setting and show consistently strong play. Once he does all that, bring him up. Have him come off the bench for the rest of the year as the backup 4, even 5 if we move KO. If it happens sooner to where he’s dominating or something 20 games in, we could bring him up a little sooner. But I’d guess that’ll be 25-36 games in.