What's new

What upgrades are needed to make us a contender?

Capela would help but you would have to lose someone good to get him.
Maybe given the Hawks also have Okongwu, they would be more likely to part with the latter.
I would send the Hawks THT and the Jazz own 1st with lottery protection added in exchange for
Okongwu and the Hawks own 23 first.

Capela would help but you would have to lose someone good to get him.
Maybe given the Hawks also have Okongwu, they would be more likely to part with the latter.
I would send the Hawks THT and the Jazz own 1st with lottery protection added in exchange for
Okongwu and the Hawks own 23 first.

Zero shot Hawks do that. It wouldn’t be worth it for either team to do an Okongwu trade.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Ainge isn’t in a hurry to do anything. And why would he? He’s got a talented and exciting group in his hands, and they’re playing well. Why mess with it? Let them play and show what they can do. I agree with the comments in the video clip below – wait till the trade deadline and then decide what to do (sell or buy) based on where the team is in the standings.

https://www.nba.com/watch/video/lakers-jazz-impressive-analysis?plsrc=nba&collection=nba-tv-analysis

Last edited:
The thunder would never trade SGA so that is a non starter. Building through the draft is still the best way to round out this roster.
I shall expand on our colleague Sip’s pronouncement. These Celtics scored big by drafting Tatum and Brown through picks derived from the Nets. So be it with thy Jazz. I advocate the attempt to acquire future Tatums and Browns via watching our competitors, the Timberwolves, Sixers, Nets, Rockets and Cavs implode. This would combine the astute drafting and trading of Daniel Ray Ainge with the vagaries of fortune and misfortune that plague humanity, the NBA, and the Nets in particular.

Just for ***** and giggs I’ll answer. Trade 3 of our 1sts for Durant. You have a front court with him and a locked in Lauri and I think anything is possible. I wouldn’t do it because we’d still have so many other questions but we’d have the potential to do MAJOR damage. Feel like we would still need a guy at the 2 who is just a knockdown role player (that’s not Clarkson) but we would be real interesting.

Just for ***** and giggs I’ll answer. Trade 3 of our 1sts for Durant. You have a front court with him and a locked in Lauri and I think anything is possible. I wouldn’t do it because we’d still have so many other questions but we’d have the potential to do MAJOR damage. Feel like we would still need a guy at the 2 who is just a knockdown role player (that’s not Clarkson) but we would be real interesting.

What do you mean you wouldn’t do it? It would take a lot more than just 3 1sts for him.

What do you mean you wouldn’t do it? It would take a lot more than just 3 1sts for him.

Why? Because we got four 1sts (five if you count Kessler this year) for Gobert?

It’s apples to oranges. Durant is 34 years old. His best days are behind him. To think he’s just going to snag 4-5 1sts automatically is delusional. He’s not. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen. But based on salary, need, etcetera, it would be very tough to get done.

Why? Because we got four 1sts (five if you count Kessler this year) for Gobert?

It’s apples to oranges. Durant is 34 years old. His best days are behind him. To think he’s just going to snag 4-5 1sts automatically is delusional. He’s not. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen. But based on salary, need, etcetera, it would be very tough to get done.

If he did get traded he’s getting traded for at minimum 3 1sts and 2 pick swaps. At absolute bare minimum. It also depends on the players coming back. If the players aren’t very good he could definitely go for 4 1sts and 2/3 pick swaps.

If he did get traded he’s getting traded for at minimum 3 1sts and 2 pick swaps. At absolute bare minimum. It also depends on the players coming back. If the players aren’t very good he could definitely go for 4 1sts and 2/3 pick swaps.

Okay I didn’t mention pick swaps. Whatever. My basic point was obvious.

Give me a team that could beat the three 1sts we could offer, one pick swap, Sexton and Beasley. Or something like that.

This team is too fun to watch but lacks a top tier player or a player with such upside. You need that guy to win it all with '04 Pistons being the sole exception.
So the treadmill trap is real. Nothing to worry about for the time being. Gotta be patient. Almost each player's value is going up. I'm sure they can be flipped for assets

Okay I didn’t mention pick swaps. Whatever. My basic point was obvious.

Give me a team that could beat the three 1sts we could offer, one pick swap, Sexton and Beasley. Or something like that.

Phoenix can offer Bridges/Crowder along with their 23/25/27/29 1sts and 24/26/28 pick swaps if they wanted to.

Toronto can offer the same exact package except OG/Trent Jr as the players going back.

We can beat literally everyone else’s offer in the league if we really wanted to but that’s not the point.

Team match is much more important than individual talent. We have a good example with our team during Don/Rudy era. Another good example for me is Denver. Theay are a much more well balanced team now with all the players back and KCP than last year where Jokic was going for 30-10-10 every night. They have a deep team andd more important their star ( Jokic) don't care about the number of point he score every night as long as they win. And it works. They will be tough to beat at West this year.

A guy I really like and think we should take a look at trading for is P.J. Washington. I think he could be attainable. Not sure what the asking price would be but he’s the perfect type of player we should be going after.

A guy I really like and think we should take a look at trading for is P.J. Washington. I think he could be attainable. Not sure what the asking price would be but he’s the perfect type of player we should be going after.
Completely agree.

But why would Charlotte move off him?

Health issues aside I would love to see this team with Lonzo Ball and perhaps Porzingis instead of Olynyk.

I think the most important thing we can do though is nothing relatively speaking. There is no need to make any moves unless they're too good to turn down. Im still open to the Westbrook trade if LA were to offer two unprotected picks but we have enough picks that Im not desperate to do that deal. Im open to signing a youngish star as long as they are under contract for a number of years. If Ainge made one mistake with Boston its signing Kyrie only for him to leave 12 months later for no return.

I'm not against another NAW/THT type of deal should there be one for the taking.

Some of you are seriously underestimating the value of letting these guys develop without expectations this year. This is Lauri's first opportunity to be the man and we want him to continue to develop in that role because it helps him expand his game and confidence. Obviously we are exceeding expectations but this is not a championship caliber team and we shouldn't rush this. Let these guys work on expanding their games this year with very little expectations. That makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on things. Just look at Vandy. On a team trying to contend he is not going to be working on expanding his shot to the 3pt line because it hasn't been a good shot for him in the past. Last year he took 14 3's all year and I bet most of them were probably end of shot clock or end of quarter heaves that you take because you have to. I also think having no expectations is a big plus for a first year coach. He gets to work on and establish things without the fans and management second guessing his every move. The only thing that should happen this year is if we turn over and start coming back to earth we should move some of the vets if we can get an asset back for them. Other than that this roster should stay the same all year.

So true. There's a reason why we're playing well, as opposed to the train wreck of last year. It's because these guys aren't caught up in the ******** of stardom(Mitchell), they just want to play basketball. As long as ego doesn't take over we will continue to play well.

Really not sure what super star we’d need , that wouldn’t stuff up the balance that we already have .

Would love Dort from OKC , but they seem to love him .

Or Brown from Boston , but the cost would be to high.

If Hayward didn’t have a past here , someone like that , when you wouldn’t be giving them much in return .