What's new

What Were the Marlins Thinking?

trigg3r

I am not sure if anyone on here has seen their new beautiful Logo...... Yeah, it is breathtaking... Anyway, they took it one step further and unveiled what they will be doing to celebrate each and every home run hit by a Marlin player next year in their new stadium in Miami.... This thing will be displayed in center-field and will light up when a Marlin goes deep. Enjoy!

New Logo for those who haven't seen it:

https://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2011/09/miami-marlins-logo-leaked-now-with-onfrozenpoll.html

Home Run Celebration: Scroll down after reading the article.

https://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/10/7/2474722/miami-marlins-ballpark-home-run-structure-what-is-that-gaaaaaaaaah

A larger view with sound:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150370601964746

Sorry Marlin fans, I am a Cub fan and know everything about what is or can be embarrassing when it comes to baseball.... Welcome to the club!

I'd hate to be Mike Stanton right now watching that. Marlins are going to have the fastest home run trots next year.

Mike Stanton is going to have to witness that at least 35 times next year if not 40. Dude is a BEAST. I am sure the players will even make fun of it.

So he's going to hit all his home runs at home, is he?

Good point. Yeah, I don't think he is going to hit 80 bombs this year or 40 at home. From the pics of the stadium it looks beautiful. It's a shame that they do something this dumb. I also think the fish tank idea lining the fans' side of the backstop is lame. You just need a good atmosphere. Build a winner in Miami and you will thrive there. That's why Loria is going to be aggressive in free agency this year. He wants to bring more talent and fans to the new stadium. On a totally different not, the Rays are screwed. St. Petersburgh is not a viable ML baseball city and they can't get out of their lease to at least try to move into downtown TB. For as solid as the Rays were this year they only average 18,878 fans per game after winning the ALE last year. Now the economy is terrible, but tickets are cheap. They lost a lot of their big name free agents this year but they still were a very good team. It makes you wonder what is going to happen going forward. I wish SLC was a more viable market but I just don't see it. I personally would love to have an MLB team close to home.

That's why Loria is going to be aggressive in free agency this year. He wants to bring more talent and fans to the new stadium.
Is that why he traded two of his top five prospects for a ****ty manager who stuck with Alex Rios, Adam Dunn and Juan Pierre for 1777 plate appearances this season, despite the fact that the three combined for -4 wins above replacement?

I couldn't change my fan loyalty because of a team in Salt Lake. So it wouldn't matter to me, unless the Braves move to Salt Lake.

My allegiance wouldn't change. But I would enjoy having a team right there. I am a baseball fan as well as a Cub fan.

Is that why he traded two of his top five prospects for a ****ty manager who stuck with Alex Rios, Adam Dunn and Juan Pierre for 1777 plate appearances this season, despite the fact that the three combined for -4 wins above replacement?

Both the prospects mentioned really underperformed after being named the 4th and 5th prospects respectively in the Marlins system prior to the 2011 season. I am not going to argue that Ozzie is a good manager. He is a loudmouth idiot IMO. That's who Loria has coveted for years. If you remember back prior to Ozzie getting hired by the White Sox, he was the 3rd base coach for the Marlins. I guess he is the only manager Loria has really ever gotten along with. I mean, Loria fired Girardi after he won manager of the year. He fired Fredi Gonzalez after Gonzalez benched Hanley for not hustling. The guy obviously has some screws loose. Hence Larry Beinfest looking for a way out. I honestly think they could be players in the Prince sweepstakes considering they are moving into a new stadium. Gaby Sanchez definitely could become expendable. Way too inconsistent.

3sJwA.jpg

"Aquatic Home Plate Backstop: The Marlins announced that dual aquariums that will serve as a home-plate backstop. They will be built on each side of home plate and will be positioned to prevent any disruption to players on the field. The aquarium to the right of home plate (when looking from the pitcher's mound) will measure 34 feet (10 m) long, 36 inches (91 cm) high and holds over 600 US gallons (2,300 l) of seawater, while the aquarium to the left, will be 24 feet (7.3 m) in length, holding 450 US gallons (1,700 l) of water. Each aquarium will be constructed using a durable fiberglass structure; while crystal-clear acrylic panels 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) thick will be used for the viewing windows that run the entire length of the aquariums. To safeguard the exhibits from impacts, Lexan will be installed in front and in back of the acrylic panels to protect the aquarium from foul balls, errant pitches or any other unexpected contact."

It's like a gay bar made into a stadium

3sJwA.jpg

"Aquatic Home Plate Backstop: The Marlins announced that dual aquariums that will serve as a home-plate backstop. They will be built on each side of home plate and will be positioned to prevent any disruption to players on the field. The aquarium to the right of home plate (when looking from the pitcher's mound) will measure 34 feet (10 m) long, 36 inches (91 cm) high and holds over 600 US gallons (2,300 l) of seawater, while the aquarium to the left, will be 24 feet (7.3 m) in length, holding 450 US gallons (1,700 l) of water. Each aquarium will be constructed using a durable fiberglass structure; while crystal-clear acrylic panels 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) thick will be used for the viewing windows that run the entire length of the aquariums. To safeguard the exhibits from impacts, Lexan will be installed in front and in back of the acrylic panels to protect the aquarium from foul balls, errant pitches or any other unexpected contact."

It's like a gay bar made into a stadium

You KNOW that Thriller and BeanClown both got Season Tix.

Do those behind the plate net seats really suck? I think that net would drive me crazy so I've always avoided them when I've gone to MLB games.

"If Carnival and Las Vegas had a baby, this would be the placenta. If Charlton Heston ever lands on Planet of the Fish, this will be their version of the "It's a Small World" ride. This is what would happen if Vikings attacked a Gloria Estefan concert by catapulting flamingos and marlins into the pyrotechnics display."

lolz

How does a horrible logo get so far and then gets to be the new logo? Is there only one person who has the say in a franchise? It should have to be approved by at least 10 people in order for it to be selected.