What's new

What you sippin on?

I quit drinking beer 60 days ago. I think I'm allergic to an ingredient.
My asthma (which was chronic and very bad) left within a few days, my blood pressure dropped like a rock, and of course I've lost 20lbs. Feeling like a new person.
I'm sticking to bourbon and vodka.. occasional tequila.
Miss the beer... but just not worth the side effects for me.

My asthma (which was chronic and very bad) left within a few days, my blood pressure dropped like a rock, and of course I've lost 20lbs. Feeling like a new person.

Maybe it's gluten? There is a brewery that makes all gluten reduced (less than 20ppm) beers, the Omission brewery. For a while I was using the product they use to reduce gluten because it also helps clear and reduce chill haze, it's called "clarityferm." No special beer recipe required and it doesn't really change the character of the beer at all.

You can add additional chloride by using Calcium Chloride (CaCl, sometimes the dihydrate version CaCl2) and you can add sulfate by using Gypsum.

Man, you really know your **** and never cease to impress. I have a minor in chemistry and this jumped out of the screen. "Why the hell is he calling a salt a dihydrate?". I was sure at first you were using the wrong term but it gave me a good opportunity to go back to college and freshen up.

Beer clogs my sinuses pretty bad.

Cracking this open tonight after dinner. And some Fat Tire with my dinner. Cheers!

Go Jazz!

Attachments

• 5B7A7806-E1A5-43F2-80BB-FC9C5C6800FC.jpeg
    5B7A7806-E1A5-43F2-80BB-FC9C5C6800FC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Man, you really know your **** and never cease to impress. I have a minor in chemistry and this jumped out of the screen. "Why the hell is he calling a salt a dihydrate?". I was sure at first you were using the wrong term but it gave me a good opportunity to go back to college and freshen up.
I know little about chemistry. I just know what I've read regarding beer water adjustments. There are two guys on homebrewtalk.com who know their chemistry and I've done my best to understand the help they have provided to the home brewing community.

I'd put their usernames here but I'm on my phone. I'll add it later.

EDIT:
ajdelange
mabrungard

I'm sure they are both chemists. They have some disagreements on some things, but both of them can really explain in technical terms and layman's terms how water chemistry works in regard to brewing.

Last edited:
Sippin on some Johnny Walker Black. Will post a pic later, if I remember. Kids are sleeping, wife is out getting groceries, I'm just chilling.

Wesley from NJ, I like Johnny Black, Don Pedro brandy, Crown, Forty Creek, not a big fan of Four Roses, Pendleton is ok...what else should I try that's affordable (<$50)? I've always liked whiskey, but never gotten big into trying different stuff. I wanna expand my repertoire of drinking now that I've gotten my wife to like whiskey on ice. It's spousal bonding lol.

Sippin on some Johnny Walker Black. Will post a pic later, if I remember. Kids are sleeping, wife is out getting groceries, I'm just chilling.

Wesley from NJ, I like Johnny Black, Don Pedro brandy, Crown, Forty Creek, not a big fan of Four Roses, Pendleton is ok...what else should I try that's affordable (<$50)? I've always liked whiskey, but never gotten big into trying different stuff. I wanna expand my repertoire of drinking now that I've gotten my wife to like whiskey on ice. It's spousal bonding lol.

I'm not a liquor guy tbh. I have some friends who are really into bourbon, like really into it, posting pics all the time on our group texts, of new bourbons they've never had in liquor stores...spending pretty good amounts. But not me.

I'm more of a wine (red mostly) guy and beer guy (don't like Fat Tire at all whoever posted that above).

My buddy brought some Black Velvet whiskey on a moto trip last fall and I laughed, thinking it was the rot gut. To my surprise it was smooth, so I picked some up last week to see if I was high or something when I tried it. Nope, it's actually smooth and totally drinkable. Just make sure you get the glass bottle because I think it might come in plastic too. Dirt cheap but better than dirt.

Last edited:

That's awesome.

Try Basil Hayden, it's great. Also Knob Creek, Makers Mark, Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Blantons, Gentleman Jack(not JD).

Johnny Walker is a scotch whiskey and tastes different from the above. You taste the barrel more with scotch, and some of them can taste like burnt wood, peat moss and dirt with a splash of whiskey. Definitely for a more evolved palette. But a great scotch for the money is Macallan 12 yr.

Last edited:
My buddy brought some Black Velvet whiskey on a moto trip last fall and I laughed, thinking it was the rot gut. To my surprise it was smooth, so I picked some up last week to see if I was high or something when I tried it. Nope, it's actually smooth and totally drinkable. Just make sure you get the glass bottle because I think it might come in plastic too. Dirt cheap but better than dirt.

I used to enjoy Black Velvet, but one night I enjoyed it too much and now I can't enjoy it at all.

Getting some serious work done on my main poker table and enjoying a little Trooper. Wife and I have our second 18th anniversary dinner this weekend. Yesterday it was Sapa Sushi, tonight it's Current Fish & Oyster.

trooper.jpg

Getting some serious work done on my main poker table and enjoying a little Trooper. Wife and I have our second 18th anniversary dinner this weekend. Yesterday it was Sapa Sushi, tonight it's Current Fish & Oyster.

trooper.jpg

Happy Anniversary!

Dogfish Head will be in Utah any day now...

https://www.dogfish.com/blog/buzzing-over-utah

Alright, Utah … the time has come! We’re happy to announce that our off-centered ales are on the way to the Beehive State beginning mid-August!

“We’re excited to ship our innovative beers to Dogfish fans in Utah and to begin a great and long-lasting relationship with the beer drinkers, retailers, and distributor partners in the state,” said Sam Calagione, founder and CEO of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. “We have our canning and bottling lines pumping out a ton of beer and enough brewing capacity to ensure we can keep retailers well stocked with our well-differentiated family of beers for years to come.”

Dogfish fans in Utah can expect to see a slew of fan-favorites, including 60 Minute IPA, SeaQuench Ale, Flesh & Blood IPAand 90 Minute IPA. Off-Centered Art Series releases and limited quantities of occasional rarities will also be available throughout the year.

Interested to know what local food favorites will pair best with our flavorful brews? We’ve got you covered!

Dogfish Head Brews and Utah Chews

90 Minute IPA is a great match for the iconic Pastrami Burger. Its sturdy malt backbone stands up to the rich, salty flavors in this sandwich, and its prominent West Coast hops are an excellent foil to the burger’s slightly sweet, creamy dressing.

Grab a 60 Minute IPA while enjoying Funeral Potatoes. Its assertive citrusy and piney hops counter the slight saltiness of this dish, while its crisp finish balances out the creaminess of the casserole.

Love me the sexy poison.

Big fan of bold/spicy red wines (cabs, malbecs), smooth ryes & bourbons, crisp citrusy IPAs and a nice peaty Islay scotch.

Staples of each (at an affordable level):

Carnivor (Cab Sav, $10ish)
High West Rendezvous (Rye; $60ish)
Cutwater Spirits, Black Skimmer (Bourbon; $60ish)
Alpine Duet (IPA; $12ish for a sixer)
Lagavulin 16 (all-time favorite; $60ish)

I'm headed to the 9th annual Utah Beer Festival tomorrow, so I hope to be sippin' on a lot of new and interesting beers. Dogfish Head will be there and they are new to Utah so that will be one of my first stops.

Catch me outside... the VIP area. Unless you have a VIP pass, then catch me inside the VIP area. They have AC in there.

Next weekend is the 10th anniversary of the Beehive Brewoff. Once that's done I still have Oktoberfest at Snowbird to hit up and then my beer summer is over. A sad and happy time for me.

New brewery opened in SLC this weekend. TF Brewing. "TF" stands for Templin Family.

I'm sippin on their Ferda Imperial IPA. This is easily one of my favorite locally produced Imperial IPAs. Not too high up there, it's 8.2%abv and the hops and bitterness are not harsh or overwhelming. Great balance with the malt flavors. Really solid beer.

I have my own IPA on tap right now, I made it using locally malted grain from Solstice Malt https://www.facebook.com/solsticemalt/ they are the first maltster in Utah in a very very long time. So far they have been great and I'm enjoying the beer I made with their grain. It's 6.6%abv and uses a lot of citrusy type hops, Citra and Amarillo.

I brewed SMDH today (Single Malt Duel Hop) it's a pale ale with Maris Otter grain, East Kent Goldings hops and Magnum hops. One of the last batches that will be made on my current system. Big (super big) upgrade underway. This should be around 7%abv and vary light in color.