What's new

Whatever happened to Karl Malone?

Jeditiger

Hoppy Goodness
Contributor
Remember he was supposed to be some sort of "big man" consultant or something? He ended up working with Kanter and Favors maybe once but then we never heard about it again. And he's been uncharacteristically quiet overall lately. I wonder if they finally convinced him to just be supportive by being quiet?

ETA: I suppose he is focusing on KJ's football career at LSU also. Nothing wrong with that.

He probably wanted more time, access and power than the FO was willing to give so they both just moved on.

Remember he was supposed to be some sort of "big man" consultant or something? He ended up working with Kanter and Favors maybe once but then we never heard about it again. And he's been uncharacteristically quiet overall lately. I wonder if they finally convinced him to just be supportive by being quiet?

ETA: I suppose he is focusing on KJ's football career at LSU also. Nothing wrong with that.

Not since Ty Corbin & Gobert's rookie season.

I did get the sense from interview body language that Kanter and Gobert were being polite but that they did not value the training.

And I recall from the Malone interview that he teased them for wearing spandex support gear. The subtext was "real men don't wear this stuff...."

If our bigs want to pick his brain or train with him, they can always seek him out in the offseason. I'm not crazy about mid-season outsider training, with potential for mixed messages to the players. The Jazz staff can work together for a cohesive plan and regimen. But I'd see KM doing his own thing. Quin and his development staff need to be accountable for this and I think they should control it with full time staff.

I did get the sense from interview body language that Kanter and Gobert were being polite but that they did not value the training.

And I recall from the Malone interview that he teased them for wearing spandex support gear. The subtext was "real men don't wear this stuff...."

If our bigs want to pick his brain or train with him, they can always seek him out in the offseason. I'm not crazy about mid-season outsider training, with potential for mixed messages to the players. The Jazz staff can work together for a cohesive plan and regimen. But I'd see KM doing his own thing. Quin and his development staff need to be accountable for this and I think they should control it with full time staff.

Based on what I saw I think Kanter enjoyed the time down there a lot. But mostly because of Karl's daughter.

"I'm not concerned with your elbow pads, your knee pads, all of your garb and your full body armor. What do you need all that for? Our soldiers need that in Iraq and they're doing a hell of a job for us. Take all that off! We don't need that. What I need you to do is show up and be ready to play. That's it.

"I had one of my ‘bigs' today and he had body armor from his thigh to his neck. I ask him what he was doing and he said he was protecting himself. I said 'Who you protecting yourself [from]?' There's no sniper in this building! Man up! If you're hurt, see the trainer and play the game.

"When I played, if you came out there with a sleeve on your elbow, I won't say 'I'm going to attack it,' but you're a wounded animal and I've got to take a stab at it. I like where we're at, but let's get rid of all that and play the game, encourage your teammates," Malone said.

lol

This was during the Corbin Era when there was a glaringly obvious confidence vacuum in the developmental skills of the coaching staff.

He's no longer needed - if he ever was.

The one thing that stands out to me is they offered him the job about the same time Hornacek took the job in Phoenix. I always wondered if that was a knee jerk reaction by the FO in case Jeff offered him a job so they could keep Karl in Utah so he wouldn't mouth off to the press about all the problems he was having with Greg Miller (which he was kind of doing anyway).

I never thought much of it anyway - great players are seldom great teachers.

There is no way Karl Malone is a good coach. He probably would be like "Karl Malone says play your hardest, just play hard. Karl Malone played hard and Karl Malone scored 2nd most points all time."

There is no way Karl Malone is a good coach. He probably would be like "Karl Malone says play your hardest, just play hard. Karl Malone played hard and Karl Malone scored 2nd most points all time."

I still dream of Favors developing the Malone face-up and fade-away. But, yeah - I can see everyone wondering where they are and Malone is in the parking lot teaching Favors how to drive a big rig.

run.jpg