What's new

What's the point of censoring 'bad' words?

Xsy

I mean, even Youtube, one of the most widely viewed websites on the entire internet doesn't even bother censoring profanities. Why does this place bother? When someone says "**** this **** team", its kind of obvious what they're saying. Why hide the letters?

I mean, I understand Utah is a pretty religious state, and there are a lot of people who don't enjoy swear words-- but what do asterisks really solve? We're (mostly) adults here.

I'm sure there will be people who think this is an unpopular idea, but I wanna hear what other people have to say.

Of course I'd think someone would deserve an infraction if they use the words maliciously, but sometimes I just wish I could use profanity against my least favorite Jazz players, or referees.

i got in trouble for saying "hat" with the letter "s" in front of it. thought it was hilarious lol, especially when regular trolling and personal attacks seem to be commonly accepted by the mods and even the owner. the explanation i got was cursing is somehow clear cut and against the rules but everything else is a subjective grey area.
lols. way to miss the point, whoever set these rules. but whatevs. its cool w/ me, i just find humor in it. i like this site.

I like to swear as much as the next guy, but rules are rules. I decided that if I really felt the need to go on an F-Bomb spree, I'd go to spurstalk and let loose. I find that even I get tired of all of the cussing and unmoderated crap over there. I guess it really boils down to the age old GOP saying, "If you don't like it here, leave." -- I happen to like it here, so I'll follow the rules (ha!) and stay.

**** **** ******* ***? Or do you disagree?

I like to swear as much as the next guy, but rules are rules. I decided that if I really felt the need to go on an F-Bomb spree, I'd go to spurstalk and let loose. I find that even I get tired of all of the cussing and unmoderated crap over there. I guess it really boils down to the age old GOP saying, "If you don't like it here, leave." -- I happen to like it here, so I'll follow the rules (ha!) and stay.

This is a pretty dumb reply-- rules are rules? I made this topic asking why this rule is a rule.

Aside from the first week or so, I don't think people will swear any more or less without a censor.

This is a pretty dumb reply-- rules are rules? I made this topic asking why this rule is a rule.

Aside from the first week or so, I don't think people will swear any more or less without a censor.

Ya, it was a dumb reply, but it's still true. Your question was pretty damn stupid if you stop and think about it as well. Why would he sensor his site? Probably because he doesn't want objectionable material posted here?

Why are "bad words" not allowed on most radio programs, on most TV stations, in most newspapers, etc, etc? Because a large segment of the population finds them offensive and/or not suitable for children. Same reasons here. I know I personally would not come to jazzfanz if it were full of foul language.

anyhow, you can use them all you want, they're just not going to show up - - but hopefully you've gotten out some aggression and hostility just by typing them out.

I'm one who drops the f* bomb and/or the sh* bomb generally a few times a day (most often when driving - or around the house when I've knocked over a newly opened box of Cheerios) so I don't think I'm a prude about this stuff, but I will say that it's a different matter to read those words than to say them or hear someone else say them.

And as you mentioned, you know the intent just by seeing ****

actually today was my bowling league, and I used a few more than usual...

by the way, is damn censored?

So what's the deal with cursing? Are we not allowed?

You are allowed to type whatever you want. As long as you spell it correctly (don't substitute any letters for symbols or get creative spelling), the filter will take it out and replace it with asterisks. Anything copy and pasted from another website will not be filtered and you run the risk of getting an infraction or a warning. Anything you link to is also subjected to this rule, so make sure your links don't contain filtered words. Any video or song, etc. is also subject to this rule.