What's new

What's wrong with Rudy?

couscous

for the last few games, he doesn't seem to bring his "normal" nasty self, a few plays tonight he should've dunked it with forces but got blocked instead. is he hurt and not saying it? or just better scouting reports by other teams now that he is on their radar?

I would say combination of things. He is getting used to play starter minutes day in and out, was properly scouted and perhaps to a lesser extent ankle still bothering him. Eventually teams will adjust their offense to void Rudy's presence but it's a good problem which should be addressed by coaching staff.

i haven't really seen a lot of situations where scouting has made a difference, so i think it's fatigue + ankle.

some peeps were all like, "oh the wiz scouted rudy so they had gortat box him out while the guards came in for the boards" but like, what? do your bigs really need to be told to box out by scouts every game?

Players are going up from underneath and getting in between his hands to jar the ball loose - it's the same problem he had at the beginning of the season. He needs to work on grip strength. He's also lost a bit of his explosiveness - probably a bit tired combined with a sore ankle. He plays at such a manic level for a big man. He'll just have to fight through it or learn to pace himself.

Players are going up from underneath and getting in between his hands to jar the ball loose - it's the same problem he had at the beginning of the season. He needs to work on grip strength. He's also lost a bit of his explosiveness - probably a bit tired combined with a sore ankle. He plays at such a manic level for a big man. He'll just have to fight through it or learn to pace himself.

I agree. Don't get me wrong i love it when he tries to swat everything around the rim but he was just throwing himself around on every play, that level of activity is most definitely exhaustive and not sustainable. he has to learn to pick his spot and not play all out like that every game.

I'd prefer they cut his minutes some, especially with B2Bs. I swear I'll set the building on fire if Utah doesn't manage Rudy's health extremely carefully. Err on the side of caution without exception.

Last edited:
I agree. Don't get me wrong i love it when he tries to swat everything around the rim but he was just throwing himself around on every play, that level of activity is most definitely exhaustive and not sustainable. he has to learn to pick his spot and not play all out like that every game.

In the first half, Iguodala completely muscled Gobert out of position on a defensive rebound. Things like that can't happen next year.

I'd prefer they cut his minutes some, especially with B2Bs. I swear I'll set the building on fire if Utah doesn't manage Rudy's health extremely carefully. Error on the side of caution without exception.

It's just an ankle sprain. I think it's a good learning experience learning how to play through these kinds of things. This happens a few years down the line in the playoffs he has to know how to play through it along with the fatigue of a long season.

After Kanter came back from injury and took the starter spot back, I thought Rudy had a stretch where he was underwhelming compared to how he had been playing. I was at the game in Portland when Lilliard dunked on him, and I was disappointed with his effort/play in that game. Not that he was bad, as he did slow down LMA quite a bit, but he just wasn't blocking shots. I'd like to believe our training staff would error on the side of caution, especially in a year like this. Therefore, I'm guessing it's mostly a fatigue issue.

It's just an ankle sprain. I think it's a good learning experience learning how to play through these kinds of things. This happens a few years down the line in the playoffs he has to know how to play through it along with the fatigue of a long season.

For a PG, sure. For Rudy, I disagree. Once you take away his athleticism, it greatly diminishes him as a player. You also risk further injury, because players change the way they run/walk to favor the other leg, which is even more significant with a player Rudy's size. Rudy's health will be the single biggest factor in where this Utah team goes in the next few years. We don't need him to learn how to play injured, we need to him to be conscious of trying to stay as healthy as possible.

Meh, Rudy has been a beast. He is entitled to an off game now and then.