What's new

When Will We Contend?

sojodave

I don't mind being patient with the Jazz organization as long as I don't have to wait. But, seriously folks, how long will it be until the Jazz are contenders in the NBA. I know the Jazz have been trying to get flexibility in the salary cap for free agents, but I don't see much potential in available free agents. I don't see a big trade bringing a star here and I don't see a draft pick turning things around instantly.

We were contenders for years asnd will be again. We will be contenders in the 2015-2016 season. Fringe playoffs in the 2014-2015 season.

I don't mind being patient with the Jazz organization as long as I don't have to wait. But, seriously folks, how long will it be until the Jazz are contenders in the NBA. I know the Jazz have been trying to get flexibility in the salary cap for free agents, but I don't see much potential in available free agents. I don't see a big trade bringing a star here and I don't see a draft pick turning things around instantly.

contenders? maybe soon, but no titles in the next 6-8 years for sure

Yes that would be a better question for you to ask.... But I ain't no mod!!!!

We were contenders for years asnd will be again. We will be contenders in the 2015-2016 season. Fringe playoffs in the 2014-2015 season.

This... i hope.

But regardless, i dont think we are all that far away..... i think we will be contenders (top 8 team) soon

Jazz contention will coincide with the next time I get Stoked.

Probably 9:30 this evening.

Probably never if we dont ever get one of the best players.

Actually, these days you need 2 or 3 of them. Or at least a top5 coach to help.

Looking at our roster I dont see a top5 player or one of the games best coaches. Im not even saying Corbin is terrible either.

The only person I really see capable of carrying us is Trey Burke, but lets be honest, hes a poor mans Chris Paul, and Chris Paul cant even get it done.

If we dont get a star in this draft or some other way, then I think we will probably spend the next 12 years or so, almost going to the championship game or hanging around in the middle or so.

12 years from now it will be interesting to see what path would have been the best.

My pessimistic view is that we will regret this season because we will probably be getting dominated by the Lakers and the star they pull out of this draft for years to come.

My optimistic view is that we get that star and we start contending in 5 years. Like legit contending when all these players we have are grown up.

Seeing how in order to contend you have to have LeBron or Duncan, and possibly Durant, not any time soon. The nice thing is, this draft might have a player at that level. So, if Utah can get Wiggins or Parker, maybe by 2016. If they don't get a guy on the Duncan/LeBron/Jordan/Shaq level, then the next shot at that player is 2017. So, in other words, depending on the lottery and how players pan out, maybe in 2-3 years. If we don't get lucky, then we can try again in 2017. If we don't get lucky then......

In other words, it's almost impossible to win a title in the NBA.

Seeing how in order to contend you have to have LeBron or Duncan, and possibly Durant

I disagree. To be the favorites, i do think you need one of those types.... but i think that the clippers, pacers, thunder, heat, spurs, rockets and warriors are all "contenders". I think it is much less likely for houston, golden state, and the clippers to win the title this year but i think they all have a shot at least.

Of course if the warriors won the title then you would just say "you have to have lebron, durant, or curry to win a title" If the clippers win it then you will say "you have to have 2 of the top players to win it" (paul and griffin) If indiana wins it, then they are "the exception to the rule" If houston wins it then its because they also have 2 top players .

I just want the jazz to get into the top 8 teams area..... you never know what could happen. Lebron and durant could get hurt. You catch a team that has a few bad games in a series. Our team gets hot at the right time. etc etc.

So we went from a post about when the Jazz might be contenders again to some weird attack on stoked. Looks like trolling to me. Maybe it needs to be reported as such.

So we went from a post about when the Jazz might be contenders again to some weird attack on stoked. Looks like trolling to me. Maybe it needs to be reported as such.

I dont think trolling is against the rules.

FWIW I am not as optimistic as others. I think it will be some time before we truly are contenders again. I think we will end up with a pick in the 6-9 range this next year, which is ok at best. It is unlikely we can get any strong free agents to come here, and the draft is not going to bail us out anytime soon. All in all a pretty bleak outlook. I sure hope I am wrong, but I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel this time.