What's new

Where did Sloan's senility go? New pills discovered?

This post should be stickied forever. I never thought I'd see the day where fromRussia complimented Sloan.

The end must be near.

actually there are no harprings(post injury) hart, pellacios, collins mcloud on this roster:D.

of there was we'd be screaming by now

I guess it couldn't be that Sloan's was still a great coach the past 3-5 years who knew more about basketball than the OP? Nah of course not, he's just completely re-invented himself, his decision making, and his basketball philosophy. Alot of times it takes coaches until their 22nd year with the same team to figure things out. Good point, though!

It helps when AK shows up about twice as often as he had in the previous four years, but yes, Sloan has been doing an exceptional job so far this year.

However, as the year wears on, it seems Sloan gets lazy/bored/uninspired and just marries himself to rotations. Hopefully he stays inspired and interested this year.

...I think we can all agree that Sloan's substitution patterns have improved greatly in recent years....especially this year! He just doesn't pell-mell substitute based on the clock but more on matchups and how guys are playing, right? Right now, whatever he's doing is working!

Anyways, full props to Jerry, great coaching this year!

hell_freezing_over.jpg

I've been one to criticize Sloan when he has made moves that boggled my mind (or failed to make moves when they were desperately needed). But man, he's fantastic this year. I love my team this year! Sloan isn't getting in the way anymore - rather he's sharper than ever before. AND he has the confidence of his players - which speaks to his leadership skills. The roster is completely committed to his system - they believe in it and in him and please pass the kool-aid!

In regards to fromRussia - it shows maturity to not just blindly be a hater, but to objectively give props - even when those props are in direct conflict with past spewed hate. Sloan IS coaching better than he ever has - and even us "haters" can see that. GO JAZZ!

Followed the Jazz for years. Nothing different this year than any other year.

I don't think there has been a big change but it does seem like he has more of a willingness to test different lineups and try different things. Might just be a product of the first major makeover in years.

He is a little more open to new things, but the main thing is he has BETTER players. PLAYERS are the ones who win and lose. You can blame him for using Mcbrick and other craps earlier, but that is the hand he was dealt at the time. Now he has better players, makes it much easier. As I said earlier though, he IS doing much better at trying new things this year and not sticking to the same ideas over and over.

One difference I have noted that is tangible is that Sloan is not sitting on his time-outs or subs while leads dwindle to nothing or while we get deeper in a hole. In past years one of my biggest gripes with Sloan is that he will let the team just keep playing and watch 12-15 point leads turn into 10 pt deficits before altering anything at all, then all the momentum and the team's confidence is gone and the games were often a lost cause at that point. Even when we have gone down by 18-20+ this season he has done things during those runs by the other team to try to disrupt it. In years past he would simply all-too-often let them "play through" it and just go deeper and deeper in the hole or blow the entire lead before he stepped in to actually, well, coach. Timely time-outs and subs can disrupt these kinds of runs (watch Pop coaching and you will see excellent use of time-out and subs to disrupt runs by the opposing team) and I have noticed in the few games I have been able to watch this year that he is more judicious about it than in years past. I think it shows he is adjusting and trying to imrpove as a coach and I take it as another good sign for the season.

One difference I have noted that is tangible is that Sloan is not sitting on his time-outs or subs while leads dwindle to nothing or while we get deeper in a hole.

Even in the limited games I've seen, I've noticed Sloan calling timeouts when the defense/offense was not being run correctly, and we were losing a lead. He doesn't call them when there are no changes to make. Sometimes, the other team is shooting the shots you want them to take, but they are making them anyhow. A timeout doesn't fix that.

I haven't watched a lot of Popovich, but I really doubt he calls timeouts just to say "You guys are doing everything just like we planned, but we're having some bad luck, so I'm trying to change that luck with a timeout."

Sloan never was senile. A great coach, indeed. Where's that idiot now, moo goo gai pan or whatever, and his 'old man senility' garbage? Where are you now, idiot?

He is a little more open to new things, but the main thing is he has BETTER players. PLAYERS are the ones who win and lose.

...better players? We got rid of all-star Boozer, 6th man candidate and dead eye shot Korver....and another starter in Brewer, and replaced them with guys no other teams wanted because they were considered scrubs! Sloan just gets them to buy into his fundamentally sound system that makes every player better and more productive. Of course, it helps to have probably the best point guard in the league!

...better players? We got rid of all-star Boozer, 6th man candidate and dead eye shot Korver....and another starter in Brewer, and replaced them with guys no other teams wanted because they were considered scrubs! Sloan just gets them to buy into his fundamentally sound system that makes every player better and more productive. Of course, it helps to have probably the best point guard in the league!

By that logic we should be a worse team now than we were with those other three.