What's new

Where did Sloan's senility go? New pills discovered?

...better players? We got rid of all-star Boozer, 6th man candidate and dead eye shot Korver....and another starter in Brewer, and replaced them with guys no other teams wanted because they were considered scrubs! Sloan just gets them to buy into his fundamentally sound system that makes every player better and more productive. Of course, it helps to have probably the best point guard in the league!

I think we have better subs and more versitile. One of sloans 'senility problems' is that John and Karl play 20 years straight. In that case, those guys (and Horny) are the one's to play down the stretch, regardless (for you PK fans Irregardless) So there was minimal option to do too much configuriing and re-configuring. Today, Deron is definately our best scorer and we have a point guard back up who is better than we've ever had. So Sloan DOES have an option to play DWill at the two for a stretch. These sort of examples are much more prevelant today than in years past.

Even in the limited games I've seen, I've noticed Sloan calling timeouts when the defense/offense was not being run correctly, and we were losing a lead. He doesn't call them when there are no changes to make. Sometimes, the other team is shooting the shots you want them to take, but they are making them anyhow. A timeout doesn't fix that.

I haven't watched a lot of Popovich, but I really doubt he calls timeouts just to say "You guys are doing everything just like we planned, but we're having some bad luck, so I'm trying to change that luck with a timeout."

Try reading the whole post before replying, jus' sayin'. Replying to the first sentence makes you look, well, like you didn't read what was written. Feel free to try again.

Try reading the whole post before replying, jus' sayin'. Replying to the first sentence makes you look, well, like you didn't read what was written. Feel free to try again.

Although I quoted only one sentence, for brevity, anyone who read my post at a fourth-grade level would have noted that I referred to points you made throughout the post to which I replied. So, my williness and ability to read the entire post is not really in question.

Sloan has proved to be pretty unique. Instead of the old dog going down with his pride like mad scientist Nelson, he has adapted fantastically. 3-4 years ago, you could set your watch by Sloan's coaching--ironclad substitutions, no timeouts, undue favoritism to veterans (with the few notable exceptions where need forced him into playing the Millsaps and Matthews.)

But the big change in Sloan started two years ago when the injuries started piling up. He was forced into playing matchup lineups and, most significantly, seemed to learn from the Brevin Knight fiasco. Last year he really started to play with lineups, remembered timeouts were free, and seemed more engaged.

This year is truly the old dog learning new tricks. We're seeing Nelson styled lineups in places, better TO's, GREAT decisions with the zone on defense, and very creative game by game substitutions. An old guy like him could have stubbornly clung to the past, but Sloan has leaped into the future. I'm incredibly impressed.

Although I quoted only one sentence, for brevity, anyone who read my post at a fourth-grade level would have noted that I referred to points you made throughout the post to which I replied. So, my williness and ability to read the entire post is not really in question.

Then your ability to comprehend what you read is in question. Nowhere did I imply that Pop calls timeouts willy-nilly to "just to say "You guys are doing everything just like we planned, but we're having some bad luck, so I'm trying to change that luck with a timeout." I rather pointed out that Pop uses his timeouts and sub patterns to adjust to what the other team is doing, something Sloan too often failed to do in the past but has done much better at this year, rather than staying so rigid as Billy aptly pointed out.

Sloan has used some crazy sub patters that are actually working.

Never thought I'd see the day where I wouldn't absolutely groan to see Price/Watson/CJ/AK/Elson on the court, but it somehow works!

Then your ability to comprehend what you read is in question. Nowhere did I imply that Pop calls timeouts willy-nilly to "just to say "You guys are doing everything just like we planned, but we're having some bad luck, so I'm trying to change that luck with a timeout." I rather pointed out that Pop uses his timeouts and sub patterns to adjust to what the other team is doing, something Sloan too often failed to do in the past but has done much better at this year, rather than staying so rigid as Billy aptly pointed out.

Timely time-outs and subs can disrupt these kinds of runs (watch Pop coaching and you will see excellent use of time-out and subs to disrupt runs by the opposing team)

My apologies. Naturally, when I read "excellent use of time-out and subs to disrupt runs" I should have automatically understood "uses his timeouts and sub patterns to adjust to what the other team is doing", because they mean the exact same thing. I don't know why my reading skills have declined so much in the past few years, that I would think "disrupt runs" is a different thing than "adjust". However, it's good to know you are in complete agreement with me in that using timeouts when no adjustments need to be made is "willy-nilly". I reiterate: even with as few games as I get to watch, I have seen Sloan make adjustments in time-outs. Sometimes they were before even three minutes had passed in the game. So, I don't see where the historical Sloan was much different, except by reputation and confirmation bias.

Hard to say exactly why Sloan changed a little (those who don't see the changes are blind) but I think Sloan probably decided for himself when he is going to retire - that is the only explanation why he became more flexible while still maintaining the typical for Jazz discipline. The changes are the things that a lot of fans thought were holding the team back in the last years. The system got better - it is way less predicable and it has more options now due tyo this flexibility. I always said that Sloan will not win the championship but may be, just may be if he can stay this way the whole year, maintain the great chemistry the team is havingg this season, may be there is a chance. I love the way the team is playing, it is so much fun to see the guys compete with heart and without fear.

If Sloan doesn't get coach of the year I will **** a brick. i don't care if we are barely into the season. He has deserved it forever and now he is doing a great job with really one star in Deron. He gets the most out of his players and is a great coach

On a side note, I counted at least 6 times he said **** when there was a bad call vs the Bucks, it was hilarious

If Sloan doesn't get coach of the year I will **** a brick. i don't care if we are barely into the season. He has deserved it forever and now he is doing a great job with really one star in Deron. He gets the most out of his players and is a great coach

On a side note, I counted at least 6 times he said **** when there was a bad call vs the Bucks, it was hilarious

I thought "fetch" had 5 letters...

I am watching ESPN clip of his interview now and Jerry seems like a troubled man. I don't know what it is, but he appears to be very miserable. I am not sure what is going on in his life but I certainly hoped that he was a little happier this year and it showed with the team early this season. Unfortunately it seems that Jerry hit a dark patch recently - I do wish him well and he will be recognized as a legendary NBA coach.