What's new

Wherein David Locke doesn't realize The Ringer reporters were trashing him

Flc

I saw this in real time and was laughing as Juliet Litman and Chris Ryan were subtly trashing David Locke's excessive enthusiasm.

He apparently thought it was a complement:

David Locke doesn't try to hide his unabashed bias and he also also a below mediocre radio guy. Knows stats though

But to be fair The Ringer are all up Boston and Philadelphia's asses to not take a shot at the Jazz, Locke, or Donovan. Nothing to see here

But to be fair The Ringer are all up Boston and Philadelphia's asses to not take a shot at the Jazz, Locke, or Donovan. Nothing to see here

Not really. Simmons is obviously a huge Boston fan and Ryan is a Sixers fan. But Netw3rk likes the Knicks, Serrano likes the Spurs, and Hayley is a huge Donovan Mitchell fan because of Louisville.

The individual reporters there have favorites and wear their fandom on their sleeves but, frankly, that's part of the appeal of the network.

In fact, Juliet, seen in the clip above, chose the Jazz as her #1 favorite League Pass watch.

I didn't really read it as them taking a shot at him, or if they were it was in a good natured way.

I don't have a problem with Locke's exuberance either, I think it's kind of what you want, especially from a local guy. He's primarily calling the game for jazz fans after all.

Locke sometimes tries to be a bigger personality than he is, but it's all part of being a sports broadcaster. He's not over the top or weird like Steven A. Smith, Dick Vitale or Bill Walton.

I love the Ringer, but they really need a Jazz dude on staff. It’s hugely Philly and Boston. And there is just bad blood with Jazz fans and those fans. Even if it’s subtle, if you listen long enough you can just tell that many of them are rooting against the Jazz and Mitchell.

Also because Jazz fans online are really bad. They make every national person hate them.

That's definitely a compliment. People like broadcasters because they stand out. That can be for being amazing at their jobs or just being ridiculously over the top.

Someone show me an NBA broadcaster that knows more or puts more effort into his work than Locke. If you don’t like Locke because he’s a shill, that’s fine. But he’s also an actual fan, and I think that’s cool.

People don’t have to love him, but people that hate on him get a side-eye from me. I don’t understand it, and I can only begin to when I try to think like a kind-of piece of ****.

I think Locke is fine on radio (not as good as Hots) but his analysis and breakdown of what is going on is very good. Glad we have him.

Locke sometimes tries to be a bigger personality than he is, but it's all part of being a sports broadcaster. He's not over the top or weird like Steven A. Smith, Dick Vitale or Bill Walton.

Dude makes a good living geeking out on the Jazz. Why the hell wouldn't he always be excited? I'd be living every day like it was the one before I woke up and had to go back to doing people's taxes or changing their oil.

Locke isn't a great play by play guy (sometimes it is hard to follow the action listening to him), but he is incredibly enthusiastic and obviously loves his job. And I would wager that no other play by play guy puts nearly as much effort into their job as he does his. He knows and owns the fact that he is over the top and a Homer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I love the Ringer, but they really need a Jazz dude on staff. It’s hugely Philly and Boston. And there is just bad blood with Jazz fans and those fans. Even if it’s subtle, if you listen long enough you can just tell that many of them are rooting against the Jazz and Mitchell.

Also because Jazz fans online are really bad. They make every national person hate them.
I had been around many teams' online communities for a long time before I eventually became a Utah Jazz fan and so I was able to objectively compare fanbases. Jazz fans are easily top-5, if not the #1. Not all online communities are created equal though. For example /r/utahjazz strangely is a bit lame with kids often being rather disrespectful to other teams, fans and players but it's an outlier.

A lot of casual NBA fans have some kind of a prejudice towards Utah Jazz. This could be about many things while from my outsider perspective -I'm from Europe- it's more about Utah and mormon stuff, not the fans or the franchise.

Conversely basketball nerds seem to be very fond of Utah Jazz and fans.

What these clowns may not realize is as Jazz fans we haven't had a player average 25 PPG for ages and Mitchell will likely do it this season.

Hayward's best was 21.9 and Deron's best was 21.3

Boozer was at 21.1 but he's a defensive albatross and so he shouldn't be factored in.

Who was the last to score 25 per game? Malone in 1999-2000?

This is why we're so excited! That and because Mitchell is great in so many ways. We FINALLY have a #1 option we can build around!