What's new

Which Jazz broadcast combination do you prefer?

Which annoucing combination do you find the most enjoyable to watch and listen to?

• Boler and Thurl

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Boler, Thurl and Holly

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Bring Harpring back

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
To be fair to Holly I think she is knowledgeable of the game and brings some color to the team that Boler just cannot pull off. I think she will get better as she gets more involved with the team. At least I hope she does. It is grating to hear her constantly fawning over other teams and other players and just rarely having anything like that to say about Jazz players, which are the ones we are really interested in after all. Some of it is fine, but if I want to hear non-stop praise for other team's star players I can watch their home broadcasts.

Holli is a great addition. Boler is a nice guy but just an empty suit. Why don’t the people around him help with his hoops iq issues? Skip pass, ugh. I like locke’s analysis and passion. Ego is an issue. Thurl is pretty vanilla.

Holli is a great addition. Boler is a nice guy but just an empty suit. Why don’t the people around him help with his hoops iq issues? Skip pass, ugh. I like locke’s analysis and passion. Ego is an issue. Thurl is pretty vanilla.
I think we can assume that people have tried to coach up Boler. Who knows how many times this has been attempted, but that number has some obvious relationship to qualities of his character (what he’s like to work with). So if this hasn’t happened often, that’s also a reflection on him.

There are only a few possibilities as to why coaching up hasn’t worked, all of them are pretty unflattering.

I’ve learned NOTHING about basketball from Boler. That’s not an exaggeration. And that’s a shocking thing to say after so many hours (decade+!) of exposure to his descriptions and interpretations.

And, setting aside learning something about basketball.... How often has he revealed anything of interest about the team? anything due to his level of preferential access? Frrreal, this hardly ever happens either... So the question has been thoroughly begged: wtf is he paying attention to? are there serious problems?

I think we can assume that people have tried to coach up Boler. Who knows how many times this has been attempted, but that number has some obvious relationship to qualities of his character (what he’s like to work with). So if this hasn’t happened often, that’s also a reflection on him.

There are only a few possibilities as to why coaching up hasn’t worked, all of them are pretty unflattering.

I’ve learned NOTHING about basketball from Boler. That’s not an exaggeration. And that’s a shocking thing to say after so many hours (decade+!) of exposure to his descriptions and interpretations.

And, setting aside learning something about basketball.... How often has he revealed anything of interest about the team? anything due to his level of preferential access? Frrreal, this hardly ever happens either... So the question has been thoroughly begged: wtf is he paying attention to? are there serious problems?
I feel like Boler is making people dumber due to calling plays by the wrong name. Skip pass is a big one. It's a specific play with a specific meaning, but he wants to play like it means skipping the ball across the floor like a rock on the water. This actively endumbens people listening.

I feel like Boler is making people dumber due to calling plays by the wrong name. Skip pass is a big one. It's a specific play with a specific meaning, but he wants to play like it means skipping the ball across the floor like a rock on the water. This actively endumbens people listening.
Not only that, but skip passes are a ****ing core structural feature of our offense.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we led the league in skip passes over the last 3-4 seasons.

Last edited:
Boler's always bugged me a bit, with just the way he tries to understand everything in football terms (one and out). But I did a thing a few years back where I got NBA League Pass, and listened to the opposing broadcast on all the road games. It gave me a lot more appreciation for our broadcasters, the others were by and large just awful. Don't mind him so much anymore.

Harp I thought was pretty good in the first couple years, he had a lot of good insights when he was fresh from playing. Lately it had seemed to me like his commentary had just devolved to a running dissertation on the quality of the game's officiating.

I don't mind Holly. Tells a story well. Cadence seems pretty natural. It still seems like she's trying to figure out when to talk, like she and Boler sometimes get into these awkward things where they both are trying to say something at the same time and are kind of both mad at each other for interrupting but trying not to show it on the air. They'll probably figure it out more as they go.

Boler's always bugged me a bit, with just the way he tries to understand everything in football terms (one and out). But I did a thing a few years back where I got NBA League Pass, and listened to the opposing broadcast on all the road games. It gave me a lot more appreciation for our broadcasters, the others were by and large just awful. Don't mind him so much anymore.

Harp I thought was pretty good in the first couple years, he had a lot of good insights when he was fresh from playing. Lately it had seemed to me like his commentary had just devolved to a running dissertation on the quality of the game's officiating.

I don't mind Holly. Tells a story well. Cadence seems pretty natural. It still seems like she's trying to figure out when to talk, like she and Boler sometimes get into these awkward things where they both are trying to say something at the same time and are kind of both mad at each other for interrupting but trying not to show it on the air. They'll probably figure it out more as they go.
Read through this whole thing wonder who is Candece, then clicked quote and realized you said cadence.

Find yourself someone that loves you the way the Jazz announcers love Jordan Clarkson. I've never heard Boler and Thurl gush over a player the way they do JC, even when he has off nights. Last night for example he was just 2/9 from the field but did have 7 assists. You would think he set the franchise record for most assists in a game, it's all they talked about. How many times have Conley, Mitchell or Ingles gotten 7 or more assists and it barely even gets mentioned.

Find yourself someone that loves you the way the Jazz announcers love Jordan Clarkson. I've never heard Boler and Thurl gush over a player the way they do JC, even when he has off nights. Last night for example he was just 2/9 from the field but did have 7 assists. You would think he set the franchise record for most assists in a game, it's all they talked about. How many times have Conley, Mitchell or Ingles gotten 7 or more assists and it barely even gets mentioned.
Last year I swear Boler was jerking off to JC highlights after every game and anyone that pointed out his flaws were just haters. I have a clip of him saying something along the lines. Like I'm sure he had a poster of him on his wall. This year I actually think he has cooled off a little bit but its still bad.

Thurl just goes along with it for the most part. Makes me kind of miss Harp(cant believe I'm saying that).

Last year I swear Boler was jerking off to JC highlights after every game and anyone that pointed out his flaws were just haters. I have a clip of him saying something along the lines. Like I'm sure he had a poster of him on his wall. This year I actually think he has cooled off a little bit but its still bad.

Thurl just goes along with it for the most part. Makes me kind of miss Harp(cant believe I'm saying that).

I actually think Thurl has a bigger crush on him this season than Boler, he talks about him constantly when he's in the game.

Thurl has a huge crush on multiple Jazz players, regardless of what they do. And I am surprised how many votes the threesome received. There is not enough air time for the threesome to work and it makes no sense. Even if you like Thurl more than Harp, the threesome is not good.

Thurl has a huge crush on multiple Jazz players, regardless of what they do. And I am surprised how many votes the threesome received. There is not enough air time for the threesome to work and it makes no sense. Even if you like Thurl more than Harp, the threesome is not good.
despite all the fuss you're likely to hear about threesomes, they're rarely as good in reality as they are in imagination.

despite all the fuss you're likely to hear about threesomes, they're rarely as good in reality as they are in imagination.
Especially when one in the group talk too much, and start giving you detailed statistics about the event, another likes to throw in poor catch phrases during the event (rimrattler, A couple of deep knee bends and off she goes, A little rain, a little thunder, buckle up, give me some fry sauce, and randomly blurting out mountain america throughout the night) and the 3rd is too excited during the entire event...

The other night Thurl had a super cringe moment… was going for “the operation was a success but the patient died” and it came out “the operation was a success but the ummm the client didn’t get the result and it’s was not good” or something like that.

Then Holly with we are still looking for a nickname for JC… like she hasn’t heard the flame thrower or flame on 5,000 times a night and she comes up with “smooth”… wow… just great work Holly. Nothing like trying to force a nickname and then coming up with something super generic.

Then Holly with we are still looking for a nickname for JC… like she hasn’t heard the flame thrower or flame on 5,000 times a night and she comes up with “smooth”… wow… just great work Holly. Nothing like trying to force a nickname and then coming up with something super generic.
That was odd. I noticed that Holly mentions players she covered in college but doesnt give more insight to them other than yeah I covered him at so and so, he's a hard worker. Okay, nice to know, any more insight?