What's new

Who are we tanking for?

Depends on who falls through the cracks if we are picking at 9... Ideally Winslow or Johnson, maybe Hezonja or Porzingis if they slip. Realistically D'Angello Russell, Kevon Looney ... maybe reach for Devin Booker if he does well in workouts and they like him...

I agree with the ebb and flow and what not but I truly believe that Snyder has no interest in the tank. He is looking at improving his players to the point where they start winning games as a team. It is starting to show. Damn near beat the Clips in their house during this stretch as well.

As such I think the Jazz end up in the late lottery. Maybe 11th - 12th.
Of course not. The goal is to develop these players as much and as fast as possible. QS has shown he wants to win games. He's making offensive/defensive substitutions down the stretch.

Before the injury to Burks, I though the Jazz had a very good chance at finishing better than every EC lottery team and maybe even catching up to Denver and Sacramento. That would have put them 12th. Now I think the Jazz finish somewhere around 8th.

Winslow is a more versatile offensive player with an improving shot (it's much better than when he was in HS), plays great defense, rebounds, good size...and he's just a leader. His teams win. Very athletic player too. He jumped over some guy to block a shot once, that was pretty neat.
Don't need this dude.
We already have jingles

Winslow doesn't shoot as well. I would argue he's a better ball handler, passer, and creates his own shot more effectively.
The Jazz need someone who is unselfish like that but plays above average defense too. Winslow fits that.

I just hope his shot comes along.

The Jazz need someone who is unselfish like that but plays above average defense too. Winslow fits that.

When Trey is surpassed by Exum and possibly Neto, our perimeter defense will be much improved. I'd rather the Jazz go for the player with more offensive touch like Johnson, or D'angelo is we are late lotto.

D'angelo can really stretch it, and he isn't a lockdown defender, but still averages nearly 2 steals a game in 30 mins.

Per 40, D'angelo is 23 pts, 7 ast, 6 reb, 2.3 stls, and 43% from 3. A 2-3 rotation of Gordon, D'angelo, Alec, and Rodney would be lethal. All can handle the ball, pass, and score. They all have decent defensive potential as well.

I wouldn't be upset with Winslow, though, I'd just prefer Johnson or D'angello over him, because if Winslow's shot never comes, we are limiting our bigs, cramping the floor, etc.

Winslow doesn't shoot as well. I would argue he's a better ball handler, passer, and creates his own shot more effectively.

I disagree. Maybe a slightly better passer, but they're very much in the same tier passing wise to me.

And even if he was better at creating than Johnson (I disagree), he doesn't have as good of a finishing touch.

Johnson's shot already has come along (43% from 3 on 3 attempts per game), and he's a great defender too.

The main thing I don't like about Stanley Johnson is that his name is too similar to Wesley Johnson.

I'm not sure it's locked in that we will be 8th or 9th in lotto standings. I bet we finish 6th or 7th... Which gives a an okay shot to move into the top three. Towns is the number one target... I'm not sure on okafor. I think he's got some al Jefferson to him... Think he'll score but give up as many as he scores on the other end... I've seen that movie and don't care to see it again.

I wouldn't dismiss Mudiay either neither Exum or Burks are sure things. I think we know Alec's ceiling right now.

The good news is the guys in the 8-10 range seem to fill needs nicely for us... Winslow or Johnson or Mario would all be good prospects.

The only guy I'm not a fan of is Kevon Looney... Watched him play against Gonzaga and he just doesn't seem to play that hard. This of course means we'll draft him.

The main thing I don't like about Stanley Johnson is that his name is too similar to Wesley Johnson.

As long as he's not 23 when he enters the draft we should be alright.

I'm not sure it's locked in that we will be 8th or 9th in lotto standings. I bet we finish 6th or 7th... Which gives a an okay shot to move into the top three. Towns is the number one target... I'm not sure on okafor. I think he's got some al Jefferson to him... Think he'll score but give up as many as he scores on the other end... I've seen that movie and don't care to see it again.

I wouldn't dismiss Mudiay either neither Exum or Burks are sure things. I think we know Alec's ceiling right now.

The good news is the guys in the 8-10 range seem to fill needs nicely for us... Winslow or Johnson or Mario would all be good prospects.

The only guy I'm not a fan of is Kevon Looney... Watched him play against Gonzaga and he just doesn't seem to play that hard. This of course means we'll draft him.

It's very possible. We're 7th at the moment, and now Burks is out for the season. Any game that Hood misses (which seems to happen a fair amount), we'll have zero depth on the wings.

A. The Jazz aren't tanking, but they are young, inexperienced and have a horrible bench rightnow. Because of this, they should end up with a pick somewhere between 5-10. Unless they're lucky in the lottery, I don't see them with a top 3 pick. Losing Burks for the season won't help the win total either.

B. The Jazz have young lottery players at all 5 positions that are getting playing time and experience right now. While the Jazz obviously have holes in the roster, you should always draft BPA over needs. Guys slip because GMs make the mistake of drafting to fill holes. That's the biggest mistake in the business. Always go with the best players in the draft, and then fill holes in free agency or through trades.

C. Since you're looking to get the best player(s) that you can, scout your *** off, set your board and then stick to it. Add talent at any position and then let the continued development of players and roles help you round out who your stars are, who your starters are and improve your bench for down the road.

D. There has to be at least 10 quality players in this draft. 2013 was considered a pretty weak draft, and yet MCW (I know), Adams, Olynyk, Muhammad, Antetokounmpo, Schroeder, Dieng, Plumlee, Hardaway and Gobert were all drafted outside the top ten and have been contributors for their teams. If 2013 were redrafted, several of them would get picked a lot earlier. There's talent wherever the Jazz will pick, but they just need to identify them and pick them.

B. The Jazz have young lottery players at all 5 positions that are getting playing time and experience right now. While the Jazz obviously have holes in the roster, you should always draft BPA over needs. Guys slip because GMs make the mistake of drafting to fill holes. That's the biggest mistake in the business. Always go with the best players in the draft, and then fill holes in free agency or through trades.

C. Since you're looking to get the best player(s) that you can, scout your *** off, set your board and then stick to it. Add talent at any position and then let the continued development of players and roles help you round out who your stars are, who your starters are and improve your bench for down the road.
Good post. Jazz can use players at any position, Another big in case Kanter gets an offer DL doesn't want to match. Even a true 5 to back up Gobert. Wing? Yep. Can certainly use a shooter. And you never know what happens in 3 years with Hayward. PG? Put that on our shopping list too. And if/when a logjam occurs, DL can make a trade to shore up another position or for future assets.