What's new

Who are your keepers?

sip

2024 Prediction Contest Winner
A couple weeks ago Lauri and Kessler were my only for sure keepers but NAW has firmly worked his way into that group for me. He can be our new star role player to fill that Ingles role. I also really want to see how a Sexton and NAW pairing in the backcourt can work.

NAW is improving no doubt, still has a ways to go to prove himself for real. Even Sundiata Gaines had a huge game-winner and had a few games that got us excited. Didn't have staying power. I do want to see more of him, but he will really be tested when teams start to focus their scouting on him. We have several dudes who have benefited from limited scouting and surprising teams with their unexpectedly good play. But once the playoff picture starts to solidify and teams start scouting in earnest with more film to draw from, many of these will be exposed.

Its still kessler and lauri for me. Need a bigger sample size from naw.
I also like vando way more than most other posters. He is one of those glue guys who does all the little things and his effort is infectious. Unsung hero imo. Though he certainly wouldnt be on my untouchable list i think he could play a draymond role for us when we hit our ceiling if he keeps developing. His offensive game is getting better little by little. In both the last two games he made little floater/baby hooks from mid range. Something he couldnt seem to do earlier in the season. His decision making with the ball on the break has gotten better too.
I even saw him not be able to find a teammate to pass to while having the ball on the perimeter and so he took his man off the dribble and went to the rim for a bucket of foul. Happened last night and the game before.

There are a lot of players to like on this team. So fun

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah I love these last few games from NAW but this definitely feels reactionary. I love his size at guard, he's defensive potential, etc but he is still only 10 games removed from DNPs. Especially for a guy on an expiring rookie deal, it will be interesting to see what it'll cost to continue the NAW experience.

My tiers currently would go:
Keepers that I'd be really sad to lose:
Lauri, Kessler

Pieces I'd like to keep unless a great deal:
Vanderbilt, Sexton, Beasley, NAW

Feel so incredibly meh about:
Agbaji, Dok, Bolmaro, THT

Don't fit our timeline and would flip for positive value at deadline:
Conley, Olynyk, Clarkson, Gay

I could rank them in descending order of who I would like to see them keep, or the other way around, in who they should look to move, or at least make fully available for assets.

For the first part:

Lauri
Kessler
Clarkson
Sexton
NAW
Beasley
Fontecchio

The rest could be moved or be the focal point for trades to improve or gather assets.

Top ones to look at moving:

Gay
Conley
KO
Vando
THT

These might carry some trade value. Everyone else just isn't impactful enough to warrant being included on either list. They are just trade filler, imo.

But to say who I would view as straight up untouchable, I can only have a list of 1 there: Lauri. Everyone else is fodder for improvements or assets.

NAW is improving no doubt, still has a ways to go to prove himself for real. Even Sundiata Gaines had a huge game-winner and had a few games that got us excited. Didn't have staying power. I do want to see more of him, but he will really be tested when teams start to focus their scouting on him. We have several dudes who have benefited from limited scouting and surprising teams with their unexpectedly good play. But once the playoff picture starts to solidify and teams start scouting in earnest with more film to draw from, many of these will be exposed.
His skillset is perfect for a role player and I think you are overrating how teams scout role players. When NAW is shooting with confidence then he becomes a complete swiss army knife and he may be our best perimeter defender. I've always been NAW's biggest supporter on this board but I honestly didn't think Hardy would ever give him a shot but thank god for injuries forcing his hand. I'm still a little worried that when Sexton comes back the minutes crunch forces him back to spot minutes though and I don't fully trust Hardy. Just last week he benched him for a couple games for no reason after he had been playing really well.

Yeah I love these last few games from NAW but this definitely feels reactionary. I love his size at guard, he's defensive potential, etc but he is still only 10 games removed from DNPs. Especially for a guy on an expiring rookie deal, it will be interesting to see what it'll cost to continue the NAW experience.

My tiers currently would go:
Keepers that I'd be really sad to lose:
Lauri, Kessler

Pieces I'd like to keep unless a great deal:
Vanderbilt, Sexton, Beasley, NAW

Feel so incredibly meh about:
Agbaji, Dok, Bolmaro, THT

Don't fit our timeline and would flip for positive value at deadline:
Conley, Olynyk, Clarkson, Gay

This post is absolutely perfect imo. Just forgot Simone. He is probably in the meh category but he is interesting too. His sample size is too small at this point.

His skillset is perfect for a role player and I think you are overrating how teams scout role players. When NAW is shooting with confidence then he becomes a complete swiss army knife and he may be our best perimeter defender. I've always been NAW's biggest supporter on this board but I honestly didn't think Hardy would ever give him a shot but thank god for injuries forcing his hand. I'm still a little worried that when Sexton comes back the minutes crunch forces him back to spot minutes though and I don't fully trust Hardy. Just last week he benched him for a couple games for no reason after he had been playing really well.

Honestly, it would be sweet if we could trade conley for a first round pick. Start NAW or Sexton (the other is the backup) and THT and Beasley and clarkson in emergencies. Maybe we take some lumps. Maybe we dont. This is the season of win win so it doesnt really matter.

Look NAW has been awesome. I need like 10 more games before I can say anything definitive on him though. He's shooting 56% from three the last 5 games... I'm comfortable saying that is a fairly extreme outlier. If he is 38% plus by season's end it would be great. I'm not sure what to make of it but would be a super wild jump in production... we should give it 10-15 games before getting too excited.

Look NAW has been awesome. I need like 10 more games before I can say anything definitive on him though. He's shooting 56% from three the last 5 games... I'm comfortable saying that is a fairly extreme outlier. If he is 38% plus by season's end it would be great. I'm not sure what to make of it but would be a super wild jump in production... we should give it 10-15 games before getting too excited.
IF the season ended today how high would you got on a 3 year deal?

This post is absolutely perfect imo. Just forgot Simone. He is probably in the meh category but he is interesting too. His sample size is too small at this point.

Oh yeah I definitely forgot Simone. He is above meh for me and below really being excited about him long-term as a 27yo rookie. Might make a new tier above meh for him and Ochai called "Hopes and dreams that I know will never actually move the needle for us"

When the trades first happened, the player I was the most excited about was Beasley, with Lauri second. Those two have flipped for me since the season started. Kessler looks like a great pickup and likely long-term starter, but I don't see him going to any all-star games or making all-NBA 1st or 2nd teams

Imo its still early to know who will be retained long term,if anyone, from this retooling season. The rebuild label seems premature overall, given they got so many assets back in the summer trades already, but I guess with a new coach and so much turnover you could say they already effectrively hit fast-forward and never intended for a long rebuild. I don't know anyone is safe or a keeper, but clearly most of these traded for players have a shot to be part of something for awhile.
I would expect the Finnisher is the only true legitimate piece,that Danny won't move for less than a haul. Everyone else is going to be much less likely to be here even if all of them have a case to remain.
But he coiuld easily move him as well. He has done that kind of thing before lol

Only player I would be actively looking to trade would be Sexton. (Assuming I'm playing to win, not tank. If I'm trying to lose a lot of games I'm trade Beasley and Olynyk as well)

JV would probably be the 2nd, but I would be sad. There doesnt seem to be a willingness to play him and Kessler together though, and Kessler looks like he has the better future. I wouldnt trade JV this year though.

IF the season ended today how high would you got on a 3 year deal?
He's restricted so I'd wait out his market. If I had to guess right now I would guess this shooting performance is a big outlier and he is a solid 5th guard option. Wouldn't match anything over like $5M a year. If I was negotiating with him without any offers I'd probably top out at like 3/12M final year team option. He was headed towards being a minimum guy... 5-6 good games is not something to discard the last three years of information over.

Potential long term keepers:
Lauri, Kessler, Sexton, NAW, and possibly Fontecchio are the players I could potentially still see here in 3+ years.

*Anyone* is tradable for the right price and Ainge is obviously a hell of a negotiator. The future is going to be bright in Jazzland.

Oh yeah I definitely forgot Simone. He is above meh for me and below really being excited about him long-term as a 27yo rookie. Might make a new tier above meh for him and Ochai called "Hopes and dreams that I know will never actually move the needle for us"

I think you nailed it again. Perfect spot for those two.

If the season did end today, I think NAW's best case scenario would be a young team throwing their mini-MLE at him on a prove-it sort of deal. Kind of like Lonnie Walker in LA. Walker was an inefficient scoring guard on a bad team, but has rounded into a much more valuable player.

Only player I would be actively looking to trade would be Sexton. (Assuming I'm playing to win, not tank. If I'm trying to lose a lot of games I'm trade Beasley and Olynyk as well)

JV would probably be the 2nd, but I would be sad. There doesnt seem to be a willingness to play him and Kessler together though, and Kessler looks like he has the better future. I wouldnt trade JV this year though.
Not at this point. Sexton's value should only go up on that contract. He's probably the one player on the entire roster with enough speed to consistently beat his man off the dribble tbh. That could obviously change after 1-2 drafts though.

JV and Beasley might be the ones at/near their highest values at their current production. Jazz only have them under contractual control for another season. If Ainge can get a haul for them it will open up spots for our draft picks. I'd hate to deal Beas but his shooting is going to be a very hot commodity at the deadline and they can give those minutes to develop Simone/Agbaji.

Just my thoughts as I'm putting on my Trader Danny hat this morning.

If the season did end today, I think NAW's best case scenario would be a young team throwing their mini-MLE at him on a prove-it sort of deal. Kind of like Lonnie Walker in LA. Walker was an inefficient scoring guard on a bad team, but has rounded into a much more valuable player.
Yeah I think teams would be skeptical to give him a big contract based on his up and down production in New Orleans. It would be nice if Ainge can retain him on a value contract.