What's new

Who Better Rudy or Mark Eaton?

Who Better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Inb4 Mark Eaton, Greg Ostertag, Felton Spencer, James Donaldson, John Amaechi, Jarron Collins and Mikki Moore were all better than Rudy.

Who is better at what? The question is unclear.

Mark was better at speaking English.
Mark was better at not openly making his teammates mad at him.
Mark was better at water bottle protocol, but those were different times so it’s tough to compare.
Rudy was better at the salute.
Mark was better at having teammates that cared about defense.
Rudy was better at having screen assist stats being recorded and existing.
Rudy was better at a French accent.
Rudy was better about showing he cared about Utah and winning here.
Rudy was better about commercials.
Rudy was better about overall in game stats.

I hope your question is about the commercials. He had some funny ones.

Let's put it this way, if you swapped them out onto their respective teams, which would make the new team better? Rudy with Stockton and Malone would be far far better than Eaton with Stockton and Malone. Eaton with Donovan would be much worse than Rudy with Donovan. Rudy is definitely the better player.

I no see much Mark play. Wonder what people did see, he great shot blocker all-time. So post poll. I vote Rudy maybe we bias?

Main difference is Rudy's mobility. He could simply do more due to his ability to move around.

Ummm, I'm confused as some others on here. This is a real question?

Rudy. The Jazz traded him at the *perfect* time, but Rudy in his prime was clearly better.

I'm really only old enough to remember the end of Mark Eaton's career, and by that time he was in his mid 30's and just a lumbering big who mostly took up space. When I've seen highlights of his early career it really surprised me how quick and agile he looked. He played and thrived in the early 80's era of the Jazz which was very fast paced. Mark started his career at age 26, so we only had 3-4 years of prime Mark Eaton and in those years he was a truly dominant defensive force, averaging 4.3, 5.6, 4.6, and 4.1 blocks per game (Rudy's highest is 2.6). His advanced defensive stats were pretty ridiculous as well with 6 seasons with a DBPM over 3 (Rudy's highest DBPM was 2.8). Mark's total defensive win shares are 48.0 vs Rudy's 41.5. I think there is a decent argument to be made that Mark was a better defensive player than Rudy, although I prefer what Cy said in that they were both perfectly suited for their eras.

Offensively it's not even close. Mark Eaton was a huge liability on offense, whereas Rudy was a great offensive player despite the hate. As big as Mark Eaton was he had a career fg% of 45.8% compared to Rudy's 65.4%. Rudy has a total offensive win shares of 52.9 compared to Mark's -3.2.

I'm really only old enough to remember the end of Mark Eaton's career, and by that time he was in his mid 30's and just a lumbering big who mostly took up space. When I've seen highlights of his early career it really surprised me how quick and agile he looked. He played and thrived in the early 80's era of the Jazz which was very fast paced. Mark started his career at age 26, so we only had 3-4 years of prime Mark Eaton and in those years he was a truly dominant defensive force, averaging 4.3, 5.6, 4.6, and 4.1 blocks per game (Rudy's highest is 2.6). His advanced defensive stats were pretty ridiculous as well with 6 seasons with a DBPM over 3 (Rudy's highest DBPM was 2.8). Mark's total defensive win shares are 48.0 vs Rudy's 41.5. I think there is a decent argument to be made that Mark was a better defensive player than Rudy, although I prefer what Cy said in that they were both perfectly suited for their eras.

Offensively it's not even close. Mark Eaton was a huge liability on offense, whereas Rudy was a great offensive player despite the hate. As big as Mark Eaton was he had a career fg% of 45.8% compared to Rudy's 65.4%. Rudy has a total offensive win shares of 52.9 compared to Mark's -3.2.
The problem when you try comparing blocks from one era to the other is that the game has changed completely. In Eaton's era the game was far more condensed and led to so many more shot block opportunities. Put Rudy in that era and he is definitely in that 4 block a game range.

Both players played in eras that perfectly suited them, but Rudy would have still been dominant in Mark's era and Eaton would be unplayable in Rudy's.
The 80's and 90's would have been the perfect era for Rudy. This era he has still been great but he would have been far more dominant as a shot blocker in Eaton's era.

Who is better at what? The question is unclear.

Mark was better at speaking English.
Mark was better at not openly making his teammates mad at him.
Mark was better at water bottle protocol, but those were different times so it’s tough to compare.
Rudy was better at the salute.
Mark was better at having teammates that cared about defense.
Rudy was better at having screen assist stats being recorded and existing.
Rudy was better at a French accent.
Rudy was better about showing he cared about Utah and winning here.
Rudy was better about commercials.
Rudy was better about overall in game stats.

I hope your question is about the commercials. He had some funny ones.
You left out the most important stat, Mark was better at having red hair