What's new

who can we trade up with in the draft?

So it's looking like we will end up with a pick in the 8-12 range. There is a possibility we could gran another solid rotation player at 12, but I think we can all agree that DL needs to do what he can to move up.

The Nuggets sound like a possibility. They have trade exceptions and we could take one of their contracts off their hands. Say they get a top 5 pick, I would offer them Burke, Hood, our first this year, GSW first and the OKC first. We also take back either Hickson or Jameer Nelsons contract. Strong chance imo that they say no, any other ideas?

So it's looking like we will end up with a pick in the 8-12 range. There is a possibility we could get another solid rotation player at 12, but I think we can all agree that DL needs to do what he can to move up.

The Nuggets sound like a possibility. They have trade exceptions and we could take one of their contracts off their hands. Say they get a top 5 pick, I would offer them Burke, Hood, our first this year, GSW first and the OKC first. We also take back either Hickson or Jameer Nelsons contract. Strong chance imo that they say no, any other ideas? What other teams may look into moving down?

Sacramento is a good candidate. If they move Landry or Thompson and don't take back any salary they can have $15M in cap space. I think they would also like some of the prospects available at that point.

If WCS is available then I think they would pass... but I see them as the most likely scenario/fit for a trade.

I wouldn't include Hood unless we were moving into the top 3 or 4. I think he will be really good and I don't think his trade value is as high as his value to us.

So it's looking like we will end up with a pick in the 8-12 range. There is a possibility we could get another solid rotation player at 12, but I think we can all agree that DL needs to do what he can to move up.

The Nuggets sound like a possibility. They have trade exceptions and we could take one of their contracts off their hands. Say they get a top 5 pick, I would offer them Burke, Hood, our first this year, GSW first and the OKC first. We also take back either Hickson or Jameer Nelsons contract. Strong chance imo that they say no, any other ideas? What other teams may look into moving down?

Uhmm... we should avoid the theoretical draft scenarios until draft time. I'm still hoping we just win the lottery.

I don't think he has to move up. He could go many ways with this by trading down or trading out of the draft for a player that won't take 3 to 4 years to develop. I think with the team playing well DL may want to get a proven player in the league over another project unless he's blown away by someone in the draft. Who the hell knows?

T

We all can't agree with that...

I wouldn't include Hood unless we were moving into the top 3 or 4. I think he will be really good and I don't think his trade value is as high as his value to us.

I agree. I see Hood as a perfect fit for us and I think he will surprise a lot of people. I'm not sure we need anything from this draft that involves giving away Burke, Hood or other picks. We need a good free agent pickup and that's about it, IMO. And I like Burke on our team. There, I said it.

Uhmm... we should avoid the theoretical draft scenarios until draft time. I'm still hoping we just win the lottery.

I wouldn't even know what we should do if we win the draft... Just take Russell #1? Okafor/Towns seem like awkward fits and I'm not really sold on Mudiay. Trade it down for some sort of established star? I don't know.

At this point I don't actually like the idea of trading up, I think wherever we pick good solid players will be available, and I don't believe all the assets you just listed to move up and maybe get Russell really seem worth it to me.

I agree. I see Hood as a perfect fit for us and I think he will surprise a lot of people. I'm not sure we need anything from this draft that involves giving away Burke, Hood or other picks. We need a good free agent pickup and that's about it, IMO. And I like Burke on our team. There, I said it.

If we could move up to draft either Mudiay or Russell I think it's a no brainer to do the trade. This will be our last chance to grab a star in the draft. IMO it's time to cash in on these assets we have and get that missing star. A wing rotation of Russell, Hayward, Exum and Burks would be amazing and give us that final piece to become a contender. If we can get Russell or Mudiay without sacrificing any of Gobert, Favors, Hayward or Exum we would be retarded not to do it.

So it's looking like we will end up with a pick in the 8-12 range. There is a possibility we could gran another solid rotation player at 12, but I think we can all agree that DL needs to do what he can to move up.

The Nuggets sound like a possibility. They have trade exceptions and we could take one of their contracts off their hands. Say they get a top 5 pick, I would offer them Burke, Hood, our first this year, GSW first and the OKC first. We also take back either Hickson or Jameer Nelsons contract. Strong chance imo that they say no, any other ideas?

You would honestly trade Burke, Hood, and 3 first round draft picks to move up 8 spots? I am SO GLAD the team is in capable hands and not yours. I would trade Trey and our first to move up. They get a two for one. I would trade two first round picks for one (our 8 - 12 + GSW OR OKC). I would NEVER trade 5 pieces for one. Remember, we have the ability to recognize talent and draft well now. See Gobert pick #27.

You would honestly trade Burke, Hood, and 3 first round draft picks to move up 8 spots? I am SO GLAD the team is in capable hands and not yours. I would trade Trey and our first to move up. They get a two for one. I would trade two first round picks for one (our 8 - 12 + GSW OR OKC). I would NEVER trade 5 pieces for one. Remember, we have the ability to recognize talent and draft well now. See Gobert pick #27.

Agreed!!! Trading 5 pieces will make us a contender . Honestly if we trade the g.s pick, okc pick, and r pick and move into the top 4-5 I'd do that. But, I wouldn't move any players!! Worst case the Jazz draft 14 and have max money to spend on a player. I'd throw a max a Leonard and see if we can take him. If not I'd play the season out and see where we are with the internal growth.

If we could move up to draft either Mudiay or Russell I think it's a no brainer to do the trade. This will be our last chance to grab a star in the draft. IMO it's time to cash in on these assets we have and get that missing star. A wing rotation of Russell, Hayward, Exum and Burks would be amazing and give us that final piece to become a contender. If we can get Russell or Mudiay without sacrificing any of Gobert, Favors, Hayward or Exum we would be retarded not to do it.

I agree, but, for me, there's a limit to the number of future picks I'd include in any deal.

I also don't think that getting into Russell or Mudiay range is very realistic, so maybe I'm just a hater.

I could see them offering Burke, #12, GS 2017 to move up to Johnson. He is the big, physical defending wing they could use.
Getting Russell would require one of Gobert, Hayward, or Favors and no way DL does that.

I could envision us trading up in 3 scenarios:

1. Russell doesn't go top 2 & the team picking 3rd decides to stockpile assets by trading the pick for multiple future picks + Burke and/or Hood (which doesn't look like a possibility considering the teams projecting at the top of the draft- maybe PHI given it's recent trade history or NYK/LAL considering how thin they are when it comes to long-term assets, although both need that future star- especially LAL). Personally, I think Exum would have to be included (which, while I think should at least be considered- depending on what else has to be included-, won't be) so I doubt this will happen.

2. Mudiay (or 1 of the other consensus top 3) slips to #5. In this case, the Jazz may be willing to package trey + our pick + future pick (s). No way they consider including Exum in such a trade, but they'd have to at the very least consider pairing those 2 together in the backcourt if it were a possibility.

3. One of Hezonja/Johnson is still on the board around #8. I think if they do move up, it will be in a scenario similar to this one. Someone could impress in the NCAA tourney or draft combine & jump 1 of these 2. If that happened, I would be surprised if the Jazz didn't attempt to move up a few spots by packing their pick (likely #11 or 12) + a future pick or Hood.

If none of these scenarios present themselves, I expect them to trade down (& collect an extra asset in order to later package it along with other assets in a bigger move) or trade out completely (by packing another asset or 2 for a starting caliber player). Unless they end up needing a backup big, in which case they stay put & take the best one available. Maybe they just stay put & go BPA regardless , but considering the amount of assets we currently have & the progress the team as a whole has been making recently, I think fit is beginning to become more of a priority. I think this is the off-season that we start condensing assets & begin to really shape our future roster.

I could envision us trading up in 3 scenarios:

1. Russell doesn't go top 2 & the team picking 3rd decides to stockpile assets by trading the pick for multiple future picks + Burke and/or Hood (which doesn't look like a possibility considering the teams projecting at the top of the draft- maybe PHI given it's recent trade history or NYK/LAL considering how thin they are when it comes to long-term assets, although both need that future star- especially LAL). Personally, I think Exum would have to be included (which, while I think should at least be considered- depending on what else has to be included-, won't be) so I doubt this will happen.

2. Mudiay (or 1 of the other consensus top 3) slips to #5. In this case, the Jazz may be willing to package trey + our pick + future pick (s). No way they consider including Exum in such a trade, but they'd have to at the very least consider pairing the 2 together in the backcourt if it were a possibility.

3. One of Hezonja/Johnson is still on the board around #8. I think if they do move up, it will be in a scenario similar to this one. Somebody could impress in the NCAA tourney or draft combine & jump 1 of these 2. If that happened, I would be surprised if the Jazz didn't attempt to move up a few spots by packing their pick (likely #11 or 12) + a future pick or maybe Hood.

If none of these scenarios present themselves, I expect them to trade down (& collect an extra asset in order to later package it along with other assets in a bigger move) or trade out completely (by packing another asset or 2 for a starting caliber player). Unless they end up needing a backup big, in which case they stay put & take the best one available. Maybe they just stay put anyway & go BPA regardless, but considering the amount of assets we currently have & the progress that the team as a whole has been making recently, I think fit is beginning to become more of a priority. I think this is the off-season that we start condensing assets, as I think we will attempt to become more competitive by adding production & experience rather than potential. While this FO will always be looking to add potential, I think we are are the point where that potential has to coincide with the foundation that is already in place. We need a #1 scorer, a 3 & D wing, & possibly a stretch big (&, depending on the development of Exum/Burke over the summer, a veteran PG- for the short-term). The FO will take whatever the off-season gives it & jump on any opportunity out there to fill these voids.