What's new

Who do you draft right now?

Who would you draft? (please choose top 3)

• Poeltl

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Turner

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Oubre

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Dunn

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Grant

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Dekker

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Booker

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Portis

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Lyles

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Looney

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

idiot

Jazz pick looks likely to be 11th or 12th. If no trades happen who do you prefer? Choose three for the poll, rank them in your comments.

Johnson is DX's 9 and Kaminsky 10 if we happen to slip down -- most everyone would take either of these two, right? Here are 11-20:
Poeltl
Turner
Oubre
Dunn
Grant
Dekker
Booker
Portis
Lyles
Looney

I'm not thrilled with any of these choices, but I'd probably go:
Looney (potential, hustle, positional flexibility)
Oubre (potential, but worry about motor/feel for game)
Dekker (hustle, will be useful if gets consistency on shot)
Turner (sounds good in theory, haven't been impressed with what I've seen)

After this point, it may be better just to get a FA than draft a rookie who's likely to languish on the bench, but I'd go:
Portis
Lyles
Booker
Dunn
Poeltl
Grant

****. This is why we really need the #9 pick. Kaminsky's gone. Johnson's gone.

I'd probably trade out of this draft if this is the situation we're facing.

****. This is why we really need the #9 pick. Kaminsky's gone. Johnson's gone.

I'd probably trade out of this draft if this is the situation we're facing.

I seriously doubt Kaminsky is gone by 10. He's riding a high right now for obvious reasons but he'll come down at least a couple of notches after the tournament - win or lose.

If anything the tournament has revealed that Kaminsky is not "THE" man for Wisconsin. Rather, they are doing it as a team - there were many, many times in the tournament when Frank wasn't the best player on the floor for The Badgers.

Move up for Super Mario

It's possible and we have the assets to do it.

Trade that lousy *** OKC pick

Let's just hope that we slip to #10, as there are 10 guys right now that I think would be worth using our pick on, none of which are listed here.

#1. Try to move up for Russell (if he drops to #3/4) or Mudiay (if he drops to #5/6), without giving up Exum.

Likely not an option but worth taking a shot. Trade our pick, a future 1st, GSW 1st, OKC 1st, & Burke. This may not get it done for Russell, but if Mudiay is still there at #5/6 & the team picking at that spot doesn't need a guard, they might consider it. Both scenarios are highly unlikely, though.

#2. Try to move up for Winslow/Hezonja/Johnson around #6-8.

Winslow may go top 5. If he were there at #6, I could see us trading some combination of our pick/future 1st/OKC 1st/GSW 1st/Burke for him as he appears ready to contribute from day 1 & should be a very good 2 way player. Personally, I prefer Hezonja (for our team), especially because he is the more likely of the 2 to fall (meaning he will cost less to move up for) &, imo, has more offensive potential. If we end up at #10, moving up 2 or 3 spots should only cost us an asset or 2, which I think would be more than worth it to acquire him. If Johnson is there at #8/9, I'd give up an asset or 2 for him as well (although not as much as I'd be willing to give up for Winslow/Hezonja).

#3. Stay at #10 & draft whoever is left out of Kaminsky/Porzingis

Either would fit well as our backup stretch big that we currently lack, if we are unable to move up for one of the 3 wings. Kaminsky looks ready to contribute now while Porzingis would be more of a risk/long-term project, though he likely has the higher upside of the 2. I wouldn't give up any additional assets to acquire either one, but would be fine with using our pick on whichever remains between the 2.

#4. Trade down/out of the draft.

There are some interesting prospects after those top 10, but none that I would use our pick on if we did happen to end up at #11 & all of the top 10 guys are off the board. If this were the case, I'd attempt to either trade down to acquire another future 1st & draft bpa (this draft is deep enough that we could still get a solid prospect, along with the additional asset, in the late teens/early-mid 20's), or trade out entirely either for a starting caliber player (even if it meant adding an additional asset or 2) or a future 1st with the potential to be a top 10 pick (although the pick would have to be a near lock to become a high draft pick).

You wouldn't think that 1 spot would make that big of a difference, but I really think it does in this draft (at least for us, when you take our current roster & needs into account). Hopefully if we did end up at #11, one of the top 10 would fall to us. If not, we shouldn't settle for any of the players you listed, at least not without picking up an additional asset or 2. Here's hoping we drop to at least #10.

Last edited:
Oubre
Booker

But like hack said, trade up somehow for super Mario

If we stay where we're at I say we take a flier on Oubre, but I'd prefer we move. Either move up a bit for one of Hezonja/Johnson/Winslow (I don't like moving all the way up for Russell, will cost us a ton). Or we could move down into the mid first round and grab Poeltl or somebody who projects as a solid bench guy along with picking up some future assets or another later first rounder (I'd like to take a chance on that Lucas kid from Brazil, seems to have the tools).