What's new

Who do you extend?

I cant remember Hood ever showing glimpses of being a #1 option.

Imo he is a #3 option, #2 best case scenario.

I'm not convinced of Hood - way too inconsistent. To give him big money....

Try and extend Favors for cheap - which is possible.

Try to extend Exum for cheap - which - based on the feeling I get - is less likely.

I'm not convinced of Hood - way too inconsistent. To give him big money....

Try and extend Favors for cheap - which is possible.

Try to extend Exum for cheap - which - based on the feeling I get - is less likely.

I’m skeptical that a guy who has done next to nothing in his minimal playing time, and has already endured 2 major injuries/surgeries, is going to be an overly sought after commodity in free agency. Of the 3, I think he will be the easiest to sign for value.

They probably won't be about able to do that with Exum. If he doesn't play this year they will still have to decide to match his offer or not in free agency. If he gets a decent offer that will put Jazz in an awkward position. That might be better though than him coming back and playing well for a short period at the end of the season in limited minutes. That will get him a bigger offer.

Wait is he in his last year of the rookie contract now? If so he is getting qualifying offer from Jazz and that's it. If he does not take it and wants to try free agency - good luck. Nobody is going to throw crazy money to a guy who missed two of 4 seasons and averages 5.4 pts and 2.1 ast with 6.8 PER. And even then Jazz will have the right to match. So yeah. I believe that is what is going to happen.

Wait is he in his last year of the rookie contract now? If so he is getting qualifying offer from Jazz and that's it. If he does not take it and wants to try free agency - good luck. Nobody is going to throw crazy money to a guy who missed two of 4 seasons and averages 5.4 pts and 2.1 ast with 6.8 PER. And even then Jazz will have the right to match. So yeah. I believe that is what is going to happen.
He isn't going to take the qualifying offer. He will enter free agency as a RFA. Maybe he won't get a good offer but teams aren't going to base their offer on what he has done but on his potential. It only takes one team with some room to make a big offer.

He isn't going to take the qualifying offer. He will enter free agency as a RFA. Maybe he won't get a good offer but teams aren't going to base their offer on what he has done but on his potential. It only takes one team with some room to make a big offer.

Or to front load a contract, or in some other way make it hard for the Jazz to justify matching. There are lots of games they can play.

Either way we should let him enter RFA and take our chances. I don't see him ever being much more than a CJ Miles level player anyway tbh.

I would not extend any of them. They all need to prove something and maybe could be traded if they net something good. Hood and Exum are RFA so there is little to no risk of letting them hit free agency. Favors can prove himself and if he does we are one of the few teams with money to pay him.

Exum might be the only one I extend if he is willing to go for cheap/good deal. I worry some crap team might make him a big offer since they need to spend money and he is young enough to fit with their lottery picks this year.

Honestly though I would be surprised to see an extension for any of those guys.

This. I would extend QOs to Hood and Exum making them RFAs. Is Favors a straight up FA or can we still extend him a QO as well?

Hell no to Favors, I'd rather trade him this year. He has talent, but that dude is just never going to put it together here. He needs a fresh start.

Hood, I guess, but the next 77 games will impact that decision.

Exum, if he can be had for cheap, sure.

You may be right, I guess we will just wait and see. On the other hand if he takes qualifying offer and proves his potential he would be unrestricted free agent after that season and would have a better chance for huge deal after that. I guess it will depend on how confident he is in his own abilities or how much he likes the Jazz. If Rubio is playing well and Exum does not see himself as a bigger part of Jazz future it would be smarter for him to take qualifying offer and then look for new team.

Objectively, unless Favors and Gobert start playing lights out together. . . I’d probably look to package Favors and Burks into adding a highly priced veteran ($20 million range) - even if it’s just as a rental. At that point, it’s more about Bird rights than anything else. If Favors isn’t in the long term plans, then his Bird rights are worthless to the Jazz, but possibly valuable to another team that wants him in free agency.

If the Wasatch Front is back in full force, I probably keep Favors and hope that he and Rudy keep evolving their game together. Not sure how much I’m willing to pay him in the future, but he’s shown near all star potential before and is still really young (possibly entering his prime years.)

Hood and Exum both get to test the RFA market. I’d possibly extend Exum if his starting salary coming in is lower than his QO. I’d rather let the (semi) open market set Hood’s value. Not sure if I’m dead set at keeping him at a Max level contract (probably if someone makes an offer that big) unless he shows the potential to fill up the scoreboard.

Going into the playoffs, the Jazz can live without Favors (because of JJ, Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh), but I think Hood will still be a valuable part of the equation.

Regardless of what happens with Favors, Hood and Exum. . . I hope the Jazz prioritize getting another wing who can score to round out the roster for this year. Not sure what deals will come available, but I hope they make a move somewhere.

The biggest mistake you can make is deciding this right now. We got several months of evaluation and playing time before we need to make a call.

Given Exum's situation, we should be able to extend him inexpensively, but we'll probably just wait for free agency.

Exum will have 1.1 CAREER win-shares at the end of this season. 1.1!!!

LMAO at you still stuck on this stat dweeb stuff. Exum came into the league as a kid who hadn't played college ball. Anyone expecting anything that first year was always an idiot.

His second year, he was coming off a very serious injury that takes a lot of recovery time, and has the potential to ruin a career. The first half of that season was meaningless, and the second half he couldn't get minutes because we were too busy trying to keep Hayward. Idiots were making the same stupid bust comments about Jabari Parker for a couple months when he was coming back from the same injury. People with unrealistic expectations are just dumber than mud.

Dante may or may not be really good player in this league, but anyone pretending to know for sure is a complete idiot, as is anyone making comments to the effect that he's done nothing/shown nothing.

If Donovan Mitchell had been drafted a year earlier, he would have had his *** glued to the bench just like Exum, after the way he started the season. And then by the end of the year, we'd have the same dumbasses making defining statements as to who he is as a player, much like Archie was doing after a few games. Really ironic how many Archies we have on this board in regards to Exum.