What's new

Who is more valuable to our playoff success...

Who are our most valuable players for playoff success...pick 5

• Total voters
Really good thread btw

There's only two real options here, and it's the two guys who will play 36+ minutes when the season is on the line. Whiteside has been great, but if he plays at all it will be 8 minutes. You want Gobert on the court for 40 minutes in a do or die situation. Rudy Gay has also been awesome, but there's no signs that he's a real alternative to O'Neale or Bogey. Ingles is a better player than both Bogey and O'Neale in my opinion, but he is clearly lower in priority than O'Neale and Bogey.

We will live and die with our main lineup, that's how almost every playoff team is. O'Neale and Bogey are in that closing lineup and it'd be shocking if there's a diversion to that.

There's only two real options here, and it's the two guys who will play 36+ minutes when the season is on the line. Whiteside has been great, but if he plays at all it will be 8 minutes. You want Gobert on the court for 40 minutes in a do or die situation. Rudy Gay has also been awesome, but there's no signs that he's a real alternative to O'Neale or Bogey. Ingles is a better player than both Bogey and O'Neale in my opinion, but he is clearly lower in priority than O'Neale and Bogey.

We will live and die with our main lineup, that's how almost every playoff team is. O'Neale and Bogey are in that closing lineup and it'd be shocking if there's a diversion to that.

He was in past seasons for sure but I don't think that's the case anymore. It looks like his age has caught up to him this season.

jc, bogey and royce will surely contribute in the playoffs. the others we don't know what they will do. this includes Gay, I was high on him in the beginning, not sure now.

So, if you change the question, you have the real answer?

There’s no fat in an 8-man playoff rotation. You live and die by the role each of them plays. (It’s also not uncommon for a coach to use a sort of pinch-hitter [who is outside that 8-man rotation] in certain situations; so having the right pinch-hitters and a team-wide understanding of how to adjust things when they’re on the floor matters, too).

Anyway, since the OP poll includes two starters, and then asks for 5 answers, that gets you to an 8-man rotation. There’s absolutely no reason to change the question as if it was somehow missing a key point/emphasis.

Last edited:
Someone obviously didn’t read OP lol. So to answer that question, I it’s Bojan, O’Neale, Ingles, Gay, and Clarkson. I think Whiteside will play, but he’s capped by the minutes Rudy plays and there may be some games where he doesn’t play at all.

I could see JC getting squeezed out too. If everyone is healthy, we could very easily get by with 7 players (or 8 with Whiteside). When it’s a do or die situation Gobert and Mitchell will be 40+ minutes. Bogey and O’Neale 38+, and Conley with as many minutes as he can handle. Not too many minutes left available after that.

Who is more valuable to the team. We know who our primary trade bait is, but here is the main group. Rank them by picking the 5 most valuable players to the team's playoff success.

I have left out obvious non-trade targets in Mitchell, Gobert, Conley.

Otherwise, who should we keep? The least valuable are maybe who we should shop around.

Note, I do not mean who has the best stats or who might have the most value in a trade, or who can we trade or not trade or anything like that.

I am looking for who makes us better in the playoffs. That is the only criteria here.

Since I excluded 3, and 6 to 8 is a normal playoff rotation, let's get a good mix and pick your top 5 most valuable players to our playoff success.

Note, I also left out the obvious bottom guys who would more or less be filler in a trade, such as Hughes, Doke, Fitts, etc.
So I guess I take some issue with your criteria. A player can be valuable and in fact having a good year and still not be a good fit for that team. That’s my feeling with Conley. Whoever thought that two 6’1” guards could flourish together in the NBA, particularly in the playoffs is crazy. No matter what you believe based on our season best record or whatever, it was ill conceived from the start. Toronto is the only team I can think of to pull that off in the last 30 years and their ability to get out on the break was at another level. Haven’t we learned after last night and the Miami sweep that we need some size and defensive prowess in the backcourt?

Conley is an excellent player on his game, but he’s not a good fit and never has been. I’d be in favor of a Conley for DeJounte Murray and Zach Collins (salary shed for SA) trade even if we had to throw in a low pick or two.

Last edited:
I could pick 5, but looking at the options i could only think myself of voting for Royce and Gay

I guess maybe that is harsh on Whiteside, but he's still a backup for Rudy.

In general, the bigger diference between us and the title lies on our capacity to defend the perimeter, so our only two rotational players among our perimeter defenders of the pool are the keepers for me, all the others are tradeable for the right return (what is the right return that is a much tougher question)

Look I love Joe Ingles like a son… he is not currently in Bogeys tier as a player… it’s not close.

Where's the option of any person who can get Quin to try something new when we are getting smoked by athletic wings or small ball?
They are in the same list as big foot, the loch Ness monster, and Eskimos. Entirely imaginary.

Bogey and that's it.

As the poster stated above, love Ingles but he's unfortunately looking more and more washed. I mean, when's the last time a team has gotten "Jingled"? It's becoming pretty rare. Remember he also used to be that pesky guy always pushing buttons and playing good D but he's lost that in a lot of ways.

Clarkson is great when he's on but he's frustrating when he's off.

Paschal I like and could possibly make an impact on D but Quin refuses to play him for Rudy Gay who is pretty useless thus far. Sucks to say, as I like the signing but so far he's not doing anything. Maybe come playoffs.

Last edited:
To be honest, Gay is looking kind of old and slow the last several games. Not sure how much he has left in the tank or how big of an impact he'll be able to make in the playoffs.

To be honest, Gay is looking kind of old and slow the last several games. Not sure how much he has left in the tank or how big of an impact he'll be able to make in the playoffs.
He does but he gets a pass for now… will take him a month or so to be in full game shape. Foot/leg problems are the worst because it’s not like you can train super hard while you recover. I think he will look a little better in a few weeks.