What's new

Who's the best PG in the NBA?

Harambe

Contributor

Well... Kenny Smith refuses to answer the question, so he changes it into several different questions. His answers:

Best PG with multiple scorers on the team: Rajon Rondo
Best "trusty sidekick" PG: Russell Westbrook
Best PG to get fans excited: Derrick Rose
Best Veteran Leader: Chauncey Billups/Jason Kidd
Best PG attracting free agents: Chris Paul
Best controlling the tempo/style PG: Steve Nash(majorly questionable here dawg)
Best PG playing multiple positions/doing different things: Deron Williams

He did admit he'd be taking Deron Williams "all day" there at the end... so maybe he's got a clue.

Well... Kenny Smith refuses to answer the question, so he changes it into several different questions. His answers:

Best PG with multiple scorers on the team: Rajon Rondo
Best "trusty sidekick" PG: Russell Westbrook
Best PG to get fans excited: Derrick Rose
Best Veteran Leader: Chauncey Billups/Jason Kidd
Best PG attracting free agents: Chris Paul
Best controlling the tempo/style PG: Steve Nash(majorly questionable here dawg)
Best PG playing multiple positions/doing different things: Deron Williams

He did admit he'd be taking Deron Williams "all day" there at the end... so maybe he's got a clue.

After Kenny went through it, Charles was like "Deron Williams is the best. He's the best." I'm inclined to agree. As far as "controlling the tempo/style", Steve Nash? Maybe if it was "up-tempo style".

Also makes me chuckle how CeePee3 is "attracting free agents", as if that was a measurable skill a point guard needs to possess :)

Last year, i say DWill. So far in the limited games of this year, I say rondo, then rose, then paul (team is 4-0) then dwill. But dwill is dealing with alot of new pieces and is obviously getting better and better as the season goes on.

Last year, i say DWill. So far in the limited games of this year, I say rondo, then rose, then paul (team is 4-0) then dwill. But dwill is dealing with alot of new pieces and is obviously getting better and better as the season goes on.

I think the rest of the board agree's with me in saying the first two games don't count.

All of the others in the discussion do something better than Deron, but he does everything better than them all.

I agree with all of his assessments other than best pg to get fans excited. I'm sorry but Rose's polish is wearing off a little and Wall takes this category hands down imo.

From the SF Chronicle: https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/04/SPKI1G7BVB.DTL
"I think it's a legit debate," Curry said. "Deron uses his change of speed and his strength, and CP uses his quickness and ballhandling, but they both can get to wherever they want on the floor.

"It's a matter of who is shooting better at the time, but I don't think anybody would be upset if they got either one of them."

Williams' size and system sets him apart in most scouts' eyes. At 6-foot-3, 209 pounds, Williams has three inches and more than 30 pounds on Paul. Playing in Jerry Sloan's flex offense, Williams has been able to put up - as Michael Wilbon could trademark - Stocktonian numbers.

Sloan is a stickler for instilling an exact role for each member of his roster. They all know that they better cut hard and they better have confidence in their point guard to make the right play.

"When they run their offense, there are like 10 screens on one possession, and guys are running 100 mph to get to their spots, so it's tough to guard," Curry said. "Deron fits right into that, and all of their players take that identity."
Curry seems like a smart kid.

The more pertinent question to ask is who will be considered the best PG in the NBA by the end of this season?

I, for all my love for DWill,do not like his chances. My major concern is that I do not see him working to improve his game. He is basically the same player he was 2 years ago.

He still cruises on defense. Yeah, I am familiar with the argument that he has no choice but to save his energy to run the team's offense. But Rondo, prime Stockton, prime Kidd somehow managed to do both. He still too often starts very slow - Deron is almost never "hot" in the 1st Q. He is probably the major reason of the typically slow Jazz' starts.

Deron still does not know how to control the tempo and when to take the game over: how many times did we see the team struggling and DW having 3-5 points at halftime only to wake up in the third Q? Deron still cannot use his size advantage over smaller PGs: he rarely posts up.

Finally, Deron for 3 years in a row failed to dominate Grandpa Fisher in the playoffs. That is the position where the the Jazz should dominate as much as Kobe dominates our SGs. That should be Deron's focus all year-round: how to outplay Fisher.

The troubling thing is that Deron seems to have reached the conclusion that he does not need to improve his own game to win the championship. He seems to genuinely believe that it is the task of the front office: to surround him with better talent. Well, the problem is that everybody else is improving: Rondo is getting better every year, Rose is getting better, CP3 has been returning to his previous level...even Wall seems to be very impressive and far ahead of where DWill was in his rookie year. So, will Deron's name be in this debate a year from now? I am not so sure anymore.

Deron is almost never "hot" in the 1st Q. He is probably the major reason of the typically slow Jazz' starts.

14 pts, 5 assists, 4 rebounds with 2 minutes still to go in the first quarter, last game (or mebbe the one before, I forget exactly). Not "hot" mebbe, cause that would only project out to like...56 pts, 20 assists, and 16 boards for the game, but still, kinda "warm" at least, doncha think?

as much as I like Deron, I think CP3 is better - that could also be due to having a less talented team around him so he has to take on more of a load of all aspects of the game.

Right now D Will is best all around PG.
But in 2-3 years or less Wall will jump over everyone and
be the best.
He is maybe best athlete in NBA.

Honestly think DWill is the best. After him, I would take Rondo, Rose, and Wall ahead of Crissy. I would take Paul ahead of Nash or any others. Hmm, actually, wow, Westbrook is looking amazing and I would prob put him at 2 or 3 at the moment.