What's new

Who's the best PG in the NBA?

The more pertinent question to ask is who will be considered the best PG in the NBA by the end of this season?

Easy question, eh? The whole round world knows the answer to that because Looza done tole em.

I, for all my love for DWill,do not like his chances....Deron still does not know how to control the tempo... Deron still cannot use his size advantage over smaller PGs...Rose is getting better

Zup, there, eh, Driveway? Ya love Deron so much ya now done made 2 whole posts on this board since Looza left, eh? Nuthin to talk bout on the Bulls site no mo, I spoze.

Last edited:
My two cents:

-Wall and Rose are cut from the same mold. Grossly athletic but less PG minded. Need to work on jumpshooting. Wall has had a lot of turnovers, but it might just be rookie jitters and crappy players fumbling his passes.
-Rondo won't be as good once the big three aren't on his team anymore.
-CeePee3 is small and overrated. Gambles like a mother on defense but hey, it makes his boxscore look good.
-I like the strides Westbrook has made. I watched him a lot last year and have watched most of their games this year. I don't think he will be "elite" tier when all is said and done, but he is a good compliment to Durrant's amazingness.
-DWill is the man. Obviously I could be biased, but I don't really think so. He has the best body, is capable of being a great defender (remember the Portland game last year), and has the best pass-first/shoot-first switch in his head. Great speed-- not as fast as Wall or Rose, but due to his body, once he gets moving he is like a freight train.

All of the others in the discussion do something better than Deron, but he does everything better than them all.
This.

I'm amazed at how alot of people on jazzfanz constantly criticize their own all-stars and overvalue other teams' players. Okur's alot more popular now that he's injured than when he was playing every night. Even putting aside the silly injuries, when Boozer was on the floor alot of people here never appreciated how good he really was. Now the slightest thing goes wrong and it's Deron's fault. Deron hasn't gotten better in 2 years. Deron doesn't start games hot. Deron can't score 30 when Fisher's essentially playing bump-and-run coverage on him and still getting every flop call. Deron shouldn't have yelled at Hayward. John Wall in a couple years? Please. This reminds me of the mid-90's when they said the next Karl Malone was going to be Shawn Kemp, and then Vin Baker with Seattle, and then Brian Grant with Portland, and Malone kept rolling and 5 years later all those other guys had been traded and Malone was still an all-star. Until it actually happens their potential ain't worth a damn.

This.

I'm amazed at how alot of people on jazzfanz constantly criticize their own all-stars and overvalue other teams' players. Okur's alot more popular now that he's injured than when he was playing every night. Even putting aside the silly injuries, when Boozer was on the floor alot of people here never appreciated how good he really was. Now the slightest thing goes wrong and it's Deron's fault. Deron hasn't gotten better in 2 years. Deron doesn't start games hot. Deron can't score 30 when Fisher's essentially playing bump-and-run coverage on him and still getting every flop call. Deron shouldn't have yelled at Hayward. John Wall in a couple years? Please. This reminds me of the mid-90's when they said the next Karl Malone was going to be Shawn Kemp, and then Vin Baker with Seattle, and then Brian Grant with Portland, and Malone kept rolling and 5 years later all those other guys had been traded and Malone was still an all-star. Until it actually happens their potential ain't worth a damn.

damn ****in straight

This.

....and Larry Johnson...and Derrick Coleman...and Chris Webber...

Last season Deron.

Let's get at least 10-15 games in the season before we start making any conclusions about where Deron stacks up against his peers. He's still the Champ just like the Lakers until proven otherwise though...

I'm going to get hated on here, but I have to say it, the homer inside will not get the best of me. As of right now, I don't think Deron is the best PG in the game. He disappears too much and has shown from time to time he can't take over games. He has every thing that the best PG needs, but sometimes I question him and his decision making and "it". A lot of times what ever "it" is, he doesn't have it or show it. He sucks at defense when he's playing a fast quick guy, and often dribbles way too much. Seriously, it looks like he turns into Fes at times of the defensive end. If he's playing a physical game though, he's great.

I also think DWill isn't a great leader. I think he can be, but as of right now, I look at him as a bitcher and someone who's pissed all the time. He's very competitive though so that's a good thing.

With all this being said, I think Deron Williams can absolutely be the best PG in the game, but as of now, I think he's overrated until he shows us other wise. Good thing we're only 4 games into the season. He has a lot of time to change my mind.

Head to head, in any series, I'll take him over the opposing team's PG any day. On average and over time, Deron will get the best of any PG you play him against.

As far as his development goes, I'm not sure. It can be said, it doesn't feel like he's getting any better. But it can also be said, with his style of play, maybe he needs to be asked to do something different. Maybe the team as a whole needs to develop so he can see where his team needs him to be better. Seems like that's what's happened in the past.. time and time again he's given the team what they needed. I feel like that's what kind of person he is.. kinda person I want him to be at least.

I believe in the guy. Perfect all around PG body, superhuman Basketball IQ, hawkeyes and a killer instinct. He is a future hall of famer waiting for his spot. But under Jerry Sloan, I think he's limited to waiting for the signal of where to improve. Jerry already admits Deron's smarter than he is, so maybe we need someone on Deron's level to show him.

CP3 - not even close. Admittedly he does struggle head-to-head against Deron. But every player has an achilles heel. Outside of Chrissy, Deron can't guard teh smaller, quicker PG's in the league. Paul has the ability to just take over games. Deron rarely does. Case in point was tonight. Paul put up 13/19 against the Heat. Deron had EIGHT TO's against the Warriors vs. 6 assists. That's 3 games where Deron has played like crap. Yes, he shot 9-18 from the field, but he also missed 3 of 7 FT's in a tight game.

CP3 - not even close. Admittedly he does struggle head-to-head against Deron. But every player has an achilles heel. Outside of Chrissy, Deron can't guard teh smaller, quicker PG's in the league. Paul has the ability to just take over games. Deron rarely does. Case in point was tonight. Paul put up 13/19 against the Heat. Deron had EIGHT TO's against the Warriors vs. 6 assists. That's 3 games where Deron has played like crap. Yes, he shot 9-18 from the field, but he also missed 3 of 7 FT's in a tight game.

Well, ya know, Glass, takin one of the worst games of Deron's career and comparin it to one of Chistina's better ones aint really all that convincin. Deron "can't guard" smaller guards, ya say, eh? What guards can Chrissy-girl guard, big or small? I think we all done seen Deron take over games when he has to, like in the playoffs. Not even close, eh? Well, yeah, that's what the league GM's and a lotta others seem to say: Deron's more better, and it aint really even close.

Maybe. Baron Davis might get him. Or Billups.

DeronWilliamsVsDerekFisher2010.jpg

la_g_fisher_b1_300.jpg

Right now, definitely CP3. I hate him so much but he has outplayed, outperformed anybody (but Rondo). Rondo has a long way ahead of him to be considered the best PG. Rose and Westbrook are like scorer guards who can handle the ball very well. I would prefer a distributor, high IQ PG like Chris, Deron or Rondo over them.

...well, it's definitely not Deron Williams right now. Way too many turnovers, missed shots and just looking pathetically out of sync!

That's right Deron. Win every game or you're NOT the best pg in the nba. take that!

I wasn't just taking one game.
Did we completely forget the first two games in which Deron went 3-10 and 3-12. He also has 25 TO's, despite him saying he was going to focus on cutting those down. If you focus on anything other than durability, CP3 is a better PG. He averages more points, more assists, more steals. Well, Deron has him by a few blocked shots. New Orleans has had turnover of players too. Rasual and Chandler were starters a couple of years ago and both are gone, as is their sixth man, Posey.

Deron has missed 24 games over 5 years; Paul has missed 65.

I guess the only way this argument will be settled is to see what CP3 does with a new team and how Deron does in Dallas in a few years.
(just joking)

Look, I'm a big Deron fan. I'm happy the Jazz have such a great PG after suffering through the likes of McLeod, Palacio, etc. It's just MHO that Deron isn't the #1 PG in the league. Like has been mentioned before, he isn't the best at any one thing. CP can take over games because of his quickness. Teams can stop Deron's penetration and force him to find an open cutter or throw it back outside.