What's new

Why a lockout would be good for the Jazz

I vote that the draft order before the lottery is based off the record of the last 41 games of the season, more indicative of the team's overall shape - Of course, that would mean the Jazz start off in the top 3, which is why I would vote that way ;)

Spurs and Pistons are not exactly large markets, but yes teams like Dallas and LA spending 80-90 million is not good for teams like Utah.

I would call Detroit a large market. They are #11 in TV. That might be different now that the democrats have taken over Michigan and people are fleeing the state in droves, but when they won their title, they were a large market.

San Antonio isn't a large market, but they got lucky and drafted Tim Duncan. That is the only way a small market team can win in today's NBA. Get a Tim Duncan. There is no other way.

Reportedly this part is already off the table.

I had heard this. Guaranteed contract are the biggest problem with the NBA. However the players are not going to get rid of them without a fight.

Hard cap or guaranteed contract need to be a part of this CBA. Without one or the other this lockout is pointless.

I had heard this. Guaranteed contract are the biggest problem with the NBA. However the players are not going to get rid of them without a fight.

Hard cap or guaranteed contract need to be a part of this CBA. Without one or the other this lockout is pointless.

How about this:

A hard cap, guaranteed salaries, but every two years the team can dump one salary and not have it count against the cap (what Aldrige proposed). The catch is, if the player is paid 14 million per year, is cut by the team, he gets that 14 million UNTIL he signs with another team. Then the contract with the original team is voided, and the new team's contract comes into effect. That is fair. That way you can't pull an AK, sign a 17 million dollar contract, not be worth it, be cut, sign a 5 million dollar contract and make 23 million dollars. It isn't fair that you didn't live up to your contract to the original team AND you get paid AND you get to help a rival team.

That allows guaranteed salaries, a way to get out from under a bad contract, and if AK wants his 17 million over 5 million, he has to sit out the length of his contract to get it. See, this is easy.

I would call Detroit a large market. They are #11 in TV. That might be different now that the democrats have taken over Michigan and people are fleeing the state in droves, but when they won their title, they were a large market.

San Antonio isn't a large market, but they got lucky and drafted Tim Duncan. That is the only way a small market team can win in today's NBA. Get a Tim Duncan. There is no other way.

Detroit's population has been going down, but ok they would probably be in top half of markets. Did they really spend more on their team than most others though?

That might be different now that the democrats have taken over Michigan and people are fleeing the state in droves, ...

Because with the Republicans in charge no one left the state? People have been leaving the Rust Belt for 20 years.

50252_99411745240_5365294_n.jpg

How about this:

A hard cap, guaranteed salaries, but every two years the team can dump one salary and not have it count against the cap (what Aldrige proposed). The catch is, if the player is paid 14 million per year, is cut by the team, he gets that 14 million UNTIL he signs with another team. Then the contract with the original team is voided, and the new team's contract comes into effect. That is fair. That way you can't pull an AK, sign a 17 million dollar contract, not be worth it, be cut, sign a 5 million dollar contract and make 23 million dollars. It isn't fair that you didn't live up to your contract to the original team AND you get paid AND you get to help a rival team.

That allows guaranteed salaries, a way to get out from under a bad contract, and if AK wants his 17 million over 5 million, he has to sit out the length of his contract to get it. See, this is easy.

Which means that there's a talent drain in the league. If the Jazz had cut AK in year three of his seven year deal for example he would have to sit out FIVE years to get his money.

Sorry dude, any "solution" that leads to a significant number of starting-quality NBA players sitting out multiple years is not good for the health of the league.

As far as how the 2012 draft order will be determined if there is no season at all, I've seen the NHL's solution referenced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft

I think it might be more complicated than I'm understanding it but I just looked at the Jazz' finish the last 3 years and averaged it out to see where that would put them. They were 12th, 9th, and 20th = 14th.
I did the same with Golden State to see where their pick averaged out at. They were 11th, 6th, 7th = 8th. :)

This would be pretty cool - IF this is how they'll determine draft order. Jazz could trade these 2 picks and get up to 5th maybe. Throw in Millsap or Jefferson and move up another couple spots?

Oh, wait a second - the Jazz' 9th pick in 2012 was the NY pick. ...Never mind. This post is crap.

Settle in. We're gonna have a lot of time off, friends.

As far as how the 2012 draft order will be determined if there is no season at all, I've seen the NHL's solution referenced.

I think it might be more complicated than I'm understanding it but I just looked at the Jazz' finish the last 3 years and averaged it out to see where that would put them. They were 12th, 9th, and 20th = 14th.
I did the same with Golden State to see where their pick averaged out at. They were 11th, 6th, 7th = 8th. :)

This would be pretty cool - IF this is how they'll determine draft order. Jazz could trade these 2 picks and get up to 5th maybe. Throw in Millsap or Jefferson and move up another couple spots?

Oh, wait a second - the Jazz' 9th pick in 2012 was the NY pick. ...Never mind. This post is crap.

The Jazz would surrender their own pick to Minnesota if they go the NHL route then, but the GS pick would be a thing of beauty at 8.

Which means that there's a talent drain in the league. If the Jazz had cut AK in year three of his seven year deal for example he would have to sit out FIVE years to get his money.

Sorry dude, any "solution" that leads to a significant number of starting-quality NBA players sitting out multiple years is not good for the health of the league.

so ak doesnt belong in the nba anyway

That link (which I think I too used previously) is not the best one and I don't feel like looking for the best one that is more accurate and outlines exactly how many lottery balls each team would receive. Essentially, if I remember correctly, a team would receive a lottery ball for each year within the last three seasons that they did not make the playoffs. So the TWolves, Clips, and so on would get three lotto balls each since they always suck. We would get just one since we made the playoffs in two of the last three seasons. However, Golden State would get three balls since they have not made the playoffs in any of the last three seasons. Of course if their ball was pulled giing them a top seven pick, we'd be screwed.

Teams like the Lakers would receive no lotto balls if I'm remembering correctly so how they'd work into the lottery I'm not sure but this, I think, is the general gist of it. In short, a team receives a lotto ball for each year they did not make the playoffs over the course of the previous three seasons. There's more to it but that's a start for how the NHL did it.

i dont think the lockout would help any team by any means, its just a loss of time for basketball players. It may only hurt the free agents less since they have option to go to europe but otherwise its just a lost year.

Lets just be logical,

If lockout lassts entire year, jazz will lose whole year and will not get experience. You can argue that our contenders will get old or blabla but i would prefer to see those players getting together and play against the contenders and grow as a team instead of waiting one year to have better chance at entering the playoffs. Anyone can win the championship this year but we should just create a good team chemistry around our young and talented players.

I totally disagree that a lockout would help either jazz or to anyother team

Might be an incentive to actually perform, or sign a smaller contract. Pretty sure the players worth more than their weight in **** would care about actually playing. This could be a decent equalizer.