What's new

Why didn't Utah sign Gallo?

franklin

He went for a second round pick. On a shortish contract.

Could have dumped Boris and possible made another move with them that helps both teams.

Gallo had world class ts% last season of over 62%. Do you know how many high volume, non-cleanup players reach that? Very few.

Utah has essentially entered the next chapter of wait and see mode, hoping someone else breaks out before Rudy becomes an unrestricted FA. They will hoard more money this season in typical fashion, prey that Donovan or one of the other rookies pan out, write off Derrick Favors next summer or sign him to a cheap deal with their $50 million cap space, let JJ walk, try to trade Dante's qualifying offer, and hope Hood, Favors, and Burks can stay healthy enough to squeeze any value out of them.

I still have hope for two of the last 3 FWIW, but I'm afraid Favors and Exum are damaged goods, Burks has never shown much starter potential and Hood is injury prone as much as Faves.

I don't know whether to cross my fingers and pray alongside the Jazz management or be angered that they once again refused to spend. Hayward, Butler, George, Gallo, Millsap, CP3, Serge, Iggy, Redick, Olynyk, Gay... so many pieces so why are the Jazz continuing this refusal to spend their cap space and take a chance? They've never liked to gamble on a player like Kevin Martin or Monte Ellis or Isaiah Thomas who are available on the cheap. Why not go hard after the guy who might possibly compliment Ricky and Rudy better than anyone else in the league? My answer is money.

He went for a second round pick. On a shortish contract.

Could have dumped Boris and possible made another move with them that helps both teams.

Gallo had world class ts% last season of over 62%. Do you know how many high volume, non-cleanup players reach that? Very few.

Utah has essentially entered the next chapter of wait and see mode, hoping someone else breaks out before Rudy becomes an unrestricted FA. They will hoard more money this season in typical fashion, prey that Donovan or one of the other rookies pan out, write off Derrick Favors next summer or sign him to a cheap deal with their $50 million cap space, let JJ walk, try to trade Dante's qualifying offer, and hope Hood, Favors, and Burks can stay healthy enough to squeeze any value out of them.

I still have hope for two of the last 3 FWIW, but I'm afraid Favors and Exum are damaged goods, Burks has never shown much starter potential and Hood is injury prone as much as Faves.

I don't know whether to cross my fingers and pray alongside the Jazz management or be angered that they once again refused to spend. Hayward, Butler, George, Gallo, Millsap, CP3, Serge, Iggy, Redick, Olynyk, Gay... so many pieces so why are the Jazz continuing this refusal to spend their cap space and take a chance? They've never liked to gamble on a player like Kevin Martin or Monte Ellis or Isaiah Thomas who are available on the cheap. Why not go hard after the guy who might possibly compliment Ricky and Rudy better than anyone else in the league? My answer is money.

Because we waiting on Haywood to pen his blog post, apparently. . .

Didn't Dennis Lindsey himself say that the 6 hour delay time by Hayfocker hurt the Jazz in pursuing Gallinari and Porter? Or was it one of the radio guys that said that...

Delay or not, if the Jazz were serious about him or Otto Porter, they should have had him in Salt Lake on July 4th. Don't wait to see how everything turns out before making your pitch. I'm not sure that they were ever really serious about either guy.

Gallo was a UFA, not traded

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

S&T.

But there has to be a logical reason aside from saving money right? I would like to know what that is as the Jazz aren't positioned to move the needle next summer. How will they blow $50 mil in cap space? They aren't looking to pair Lopez with Rudy are they? DMC the max? Paul isn't leaving Hou after giving them a sweetheart of a deal. Try to pair IT next to Rubio?

The Jazz have nothing I can see outside of internal development luck and buying more time to appease fans.

S&T.

But there has to be a logical reason aside from saving money right? I would like to know what that is as the Jazz aren't positioned to move the needle next summer. How will they blow $50 mil in cap space? They aren't looking to pair Lopez with Rudy are they? DMC the max? Paul isn't leaving Hou after giving them a sweetheart of a deal. Try to pair IT next to Rubio?

The Jazz have nothing I can see outside of internal development luck and buying more time to appease fans.

This has been their M.O. for as long as I can remember really. Even during the Stock and Malone years. Small moves, occasionally a medium-sized move or a move in the draft to move up a few spots. And it has always gotten to also-ran status. This is my biggest wish, that we would pull an Ainge and either snag the ring or fall flat on our faces. I am getting very tired of mediocrity.

Why didn't Utah sign Gallo? Because the Jazz front office tricked us! ehehe

Let's be realist, the Jazz didn't have neither a Plan B nor a Plan C.

Didn't Dennis Lindsey himself say that the 6 hour delay time by Hayfocker hurt the Jazz in pursuing Gallinari and Porter? Or was it one of the radio guys that said that...

Yeah, it's a way of absolving the franchise from not being as appealing as LA.

This has been their M.O. for as long as I can remember really. Even during the Stock and Malone years. Small moves, occasionally a medium-sized move or a move in the draft to move up a few spots. And it has always gotten to also-ran status. This is my biggest wish, that we would pull an Ainge and either snag the ring or fall flat on our faces. I am getting very tired of mediocrity.

Yeah. This place has become a cesspool of homer cheerleaders but I know plenty of normal fans who have given up on the Jazz for this reason specifically. It's kind of funny how mad fans were here wanting to tank so bad for the Wiggins Sweepstakes and are now in full agreement with the win-now then blow it up again model.

Outside of a draft pick blowing up this year the Jazz will eventually blow it up again after trying to piece things together. So will the rest of the league non-contenders like Philly, Boston, and Minny (ahem poor guys had zero luck for years). Fans will get sick of the process and continue getting disenfranchised. Many will beg the Jazz to go full tank mode in 3-4 years. At minimum they could have made a huge gamble on one of the guys available last summer and put on a decent fireworks show with the talent. They didn't.

Yeah. This place has become a cesspool of homer cheerleaders but I know plenty of normal fans who have given up on the Jazz for this reason specifically. It's kind of funny how mad fans were here wanting to tank so bad for the Wiggins Sweepstakes and are now in full agreement with the win-now then blow it up again model.

Outside of a draft pick blowing up this year the Jazz will eventually blow it up again after trying to piece things together. So will the rest of the league non-contenders like Philly, Boston, and Minny (ahem poor guys had zero luck for years). Fans will get sick of the process and continue getting disenfranchised. Many will beg the Jazz to go full tank mode in 3-4 years. At minimum they could have made a huge gamble on one of the guys available last summer and put on a decent fireworks show with the talent. They didn't.
If the Jazz go full tank mode I just stop being a Jazz/NBA fan altogether. Its no solution.

And whats the end goal of a tank? Getting someone as good as Gobert? Seems silly to waste Gobert so that you have like a 10% chance of getting someobe that good out of a tank.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

S&T.

Read through the outside reports. Gallinari was well on his way to LA by July 3rd. This was the timing Lindsey wrote about. By the time Hayward announced his decision, LA was just working out the final details of Gallinari's signing.

Had Hayward truly cared about Utah, he would have made his decision on July 1st. He was always going to Boston, but he wanted the royalty tour of Miami and Boston and then the satisfaction of the Utah contingent groveling at his feet.

Delay or not, if the Jazz were serious about him or Otto Porter, they should have had him in Salt Lake on July 4th. Don't wait to see how everything turns out before making your pitch. I'm not sure that they were ever really serious about either guy.

This kind of speculation is above you, so please leave to frank/Green and those types who assume if they didn't hear about it, it didn't happen.

Does anyone really believe these other FAs were just going to wait around by their phone, just in case Hayward doesn't sign, because they feel so privileged to be our 2nd choice? I'm sure Gallo was willing to risk other offers disappearing while he waited on Haywood to play bubble gum in a dish.

I must admit though, these cute little bitch sessions with Eeyore, and Oscar the grouch and the two old men from the muppets, all sitting around a little table is pretty funny.

Anyone who thinks Utah had a shot once LA offered. Heh heh. That's cute.

You mean stepping almost perfectly into a role that generated an all star appearance for its former occupant, with every single other position playing plus defense to take the pressure off of your supposed weakness, and getting a new point guard that was going to not only give you a lot of his shots, but was going to expertly set you up for those shots. Yeah, why would anyone want something like that?

You mean stepping almost perfectly into a role that generated an all star appearance for its former occupant, with every single other position playing plus defense to take the pressure off of your supposed weakness, and getting a new point guard that was going to not only give you a lot of his shots, but was going to expertly set you up for those shots. Yeah, why would anyone want something like that?
If he wanted it he would have waited. He didn't want it.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app