What's new

why didn't we trade kanter for josh smith?

underKANTER

there were many many links and reports saying the hawks were interested to trade josh smith to land the second or third pick in the past 2011 draft to get enes kanter. they seemed to be very interested to pair him with al horford (just search on google to get all the links). i think it was more reality than a rumor. should we have done the deal back to these days with the way josh smith has been performing this season? would you do such a deal now? just share your thoughts. as much as i love kanter, smith is a stud and is playing on an all-star level right now! he is still young (25 years old) and is on his prime. he is a hell of an athlete and very versatile player, a solid defender, too. he has improved his jumper over the years as well (i know, he is not much of a three point shooter and horrible from the free throw line this year). however, i still think he would be a great piece for the current jazz team to pair with hayward at the three and two position.

josh smith has two years left on his contract (12.4 mio for this and 13.2 mio for the next year). kanter gets a total of 8.5 millions in his first two seasons and the jazz have a team option for the following two years.

here are some stats:

josh smith: 34.3 mpg, 15.8 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 3.2 apg, 2.0 bpg and 1.3 spg on 47 percent shooting and 52 percent from the free throw line. his per is 19.39

enes kanter: 14.1 mpg, 5.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg and 0.6 bpg. he shoots 50 percent from the floor and 73 percent from the free throw line. his per is 18.01
(stats per 36 mins: 13. 1 ppg, 12.8 rpg and 1.4 bpg)

Josh Smith isn't worth the third pick in any draft.

Eight or ninth pick, if you're willing to absorb the contract. Maybe fifth or sixth since those picks are more gambles, but not the third. Has nothing to do with Kanter. Has to do with the value of the third pick.

I'm a huge Josh Smith fan. I would trade AJ straight up for him, Atlanta would probably oblige because Horford is out, and they could start alongside each other when Horford comes back. They could slide Marvin Williams in at the 3. A starting front court of Smith, Millsap & Kanter is scary good, and would instantly shore up our instability at SF.

Cuz Jsmooth isn't very good.

He's a cool dunker though...

Jeremy Evans being paid pennies > Jsmooth being paid millions.

I mean, he is good defensively, but he is terrible offensively, as far as consistency goes. He can't shoot and has had bad shot selection (though I believe he has gotten better in that regard).

Give Enes a few years and compare stats. I like what I've seen from Enes. I wouldn't trade him right now unless the deal of a lifetime came up.

Reactions: MVP
I wonder how many of critics have seen J.Smith play besides his dunks. Dude is entering his prime and is one of the kind when it comes to rebounding and shot blocking. Plus he improved his mid range offense as well. Would be nice to have for sure. Problem is he plays more PF then SF and this position is crowded here. Unless he moves to SF I do not see how he fits on the Jazz. Millsap, Favors and J.Smith front line would be very difficult to score against.

We need a young good SF Josh Smith is not the answer, keep looking.

We need someone who can hit open shots at SF.

I understand the need to make these threads I suppose (NO, I dont), but did you REALLY put their stats up for comparison?

I don't think anyone ever called Smith the answer. We signed him to a 1 year deal. He is more like a stop gap.

I think you are talking about Howard but if you are talking about Smith giving up Kanter for a stop gap seems like a pretty bad idea.