What's new

Why hasn't a player's only meeting been called? There's no leadership on this team, maybe that's the real problem

fallenchicken

It just doesn't seem like there's anyone on this team who can grab the reins, pick guys up, call them out, and try to get this team back into shape. Donovan is a great player but he's not a leader--he's not the guy who's going to do that. Same with bogey. Gobert tries but he lacks the social intelligence and is despised. Snyder is a good coach, but I think this is the biggest department in which he is lacking. He's not the type of coach who can call players out or light a fire under them. I think he tries to make adjustments, but he's unable to get the team to make them. But mostly i'm concerned with the leadership on the court and in the locker room. We need a player who can lead this team. We don't have one. Some would say it used to be Ingles, but I think his locker room leadership has been overstated. He's a good chemistry guy, but he'd never be the type to call a player's only meeting.

The biggest disappointment on this front is Conley. He's a nice guy, but not a leader at all. Sometimes he and Rudy Gay just don't seem super invested into the team. They want to win, but they don't NEED to win. They're too cool to lose their cool. But we really need someone to lose their cool right now. Boston did earlier in the year, and look how they're playing now. They called a bunch of player's only meetings, pushed each other, held themselves accountable, got tougher, and now they are a genuine contender.

If we would have traded for Chris Paul instead of Conley, I think there's a chance things would be really different. Paul has got Phoenix playing great, he has pushed guys individually and the team as a whole into playing perfect basketball, into being tough, and focused. Look how well Phoenix plays down the stretch compared to us. That's an organized team with accountability and leadership. That was the type of guy we needed here.

I was going to say some variant of your last paragraph until I saw you already did.

I definitely don't agree that Conley isn't super invested in the team, I think he wants to win as badly as anyone on the team. I also disagree that Inges' leadership in the locker room has been overstated.

Last edited:
If we keep Rudy and DM together, we’ll have to trade for someone like Smart.

I definitely don't agree that Conley isn't super invested in the team, I think he wants to win as badly as anyone on the team. I also disagree that Inges' leadership in the locker room has been overstated.
I also disagree. As a Grizz fan for many years, Mike is a leader, he don't necessary speak much but he is able to carry a team. On my opinion there is 2 main issues :
- Don and Rudy want act as they are the leaders ( which they are if we consider how much money they make) but they jus't dont the ability for it. I know french national team well and even there where he is a main piece, Rudy have never been a leader for this team Parker Diaw, De Colo were not Rudy.
- Quinn is lacking of personnality. The same team manage by Pops will be much different.

The sad point is that this team is not short of talent and have potential to win. But no one is able to make this team giving 100%.

I also disagree. As a Grizz fan for many years, Mike is a leader, he don't necessary speak much but he is able to carry a team. On my opinion there is 2 main issues :
- Don and Rudy want act as they are the leaders ( which they are if we consider how much money they make) but they jus't dont the ability for it. I know french national team well and even there where he is a main piece, Rudy have never been a leader for this team Parker Diaw, De Colo were not Rudy.
- Quinn is lacking of personnality. The same team manage by Pops will be much different.

The sad point is that this team is not short of talent and have potential to win. But no one is able to make this team giving 100%.
There certainly are different types of leadership, but in a situation like this, quiet leadership isn’t going to have any effect at all.

Basketball is not a hard game. If my team gets more good shots than the other team my team should win 90% of the time. Why can't Quin figure that out?

There certainly are different types of leadership, but in a situation like this, quiet leadership isn’t going to have any effect at all.
I agree with you. If team need a shake up, Mike is not the right guy for sure. For me all should come from the coach. i still do not understand wht he not set up a meeting where he should speak first and then let the player alone to allow them to discuss internally how they can solve the crisis and try to save the season. Good manager do that....

All I am gonna say if CP3 was here instead of Conley, this team would implode much earlier (which could have been better tbh).

Mike has been one of the only guys I feel like gives everything he has, but he’s aging, and small. He can only do so much. He’s been really fired up a few times the past few months in games. I feel a tad bad for Mike that his waning years have been wasted with children who can’t put their differences aside and a team that can get their **** together.

Players-only meetings are so cliché. They don't fix anything, but hey, they allow players to flex and talk about how they worked it out like men and how the team has "renewed focus."

They're about as useful as corporate meetings.

Mike has been one of the only guys I feel like gives everything he has, but he’s aging, and small. He can only do so much. He’s been really fired up a few times the past few months in games. I feel a tad bad for Mike that his waning years have been wasted with children who can’t put their differences aside and a team that can get their **** together.
You say it all.... some of the superstar in this team are still kids....and you don't win NBA championship with kids. I look recently one ITW that Mike give to Memphis TV where you could clearly see his frustration on many occasions.... let's keep hope, Maybe they will wake up and surprise us at PO.

It just doesn't seem like there's anyone on this team who can grab the reins, pick guys up, call them out, and try to get this team back into shape. Donovan is a great player but he's not a leader--he's not the guy who's going to do that.

Mitchell addressed his teammates in a brief, players-only meeting before Monday's practice, stressing that they had no time to harp on his Game 1 absence, "because we have stuff to handle and an agenda to get to as far as hopefully going out there and winning a championship."

"I talked to just my teammates and I said, 'Look, we're in here together,'" Mitchell said. "I don't know if I should have shared that, but that's what it is. We're in here together. I want them to know -- my teammates first, before anything else -- that that's what it is."

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

This season has felt like a wash for a bit now. Something broke that we won't hear about till after the fact. Play on the court seems to have reverted back to "we don't pass to rudy" again and I'm at a loss for that. Everything is funky.

This season has felt like a wash for a bit now. Something broke that we won't hear about till after the fact. Play on the court seems to have reverted back to "we don't pass to rudy" again and I'm at a loss for that. Everything is funky.
The players found out their coach is abandoning them after the season for greener pastures and everyone liked JZ and hated that Smith brought in Ainge... those are my speculative guesses. "Coach can tell me to pass to Rudy but **** that guy cuz he leaving anyway."

We have guys that would rather be passive aggressive about their BS than air it out and deal with it directly. Let's say Rudy calls a PO meeting... how that gonna go over with Donovan? Mike has zero technicals in his career... he aint the confrontational type. Donovan could call it I guess but it really needs to be a vet that is willing to piss people off and has a lot of credibility. Rudy Gay doesn't seem like that guy. Bojan isn't that guy either. Joe or Jae are the only ones I would think could and would do something like that in the past.

Please stop it with this Chris Paul nonsense. About half of the board lol’d when I brought his name up as a trade target two years in a row and the other half was on the fence. The same people criticizing the front office are the same who didn’t want him.

lolz

The players found out their coach is abandoning them after the season for greener pastures and everyone liked JZ and hated that Smith brought in Ainge... those are my speculative guesses. "Coach can tell me to pass to Rudy but **** that guy cuz he leaving anyway."
Can’t wait for the “his bags were packed and he was completely checked out and this was obvious to anyone with half a brain” takes that will come post hoc from local media.

Please stop it with this Chris Paul nonsense. About half of the board lol’d when I brought his name up as a trade target two years in a row and the other half was on the fence. The same people criticizing the front office are the same who didn’t want him.

lolz
I wasn’t on the CP3 bandwagon at the time and don’t hold it against anyone (in management), but it does make me wonder, if the idea that we peon fans can’t gaze into a seer stone like the FO can and we shouldn’t question their moves in really time, how come they didn’t foresee this?

lolz
The same people who didn't want CP3 are the same people who didn't want Conley. Why would they? If one ever has to choose between a decent starter level PG and one of the greatest PGs of all time, it's a no trainer.