What's new

Why I've Become a Jazz Fan

jjscap

Hello from overseas, Istanbul. The Utah Jazz might not be a big market team or multi-time NBA champions but it has some fans around the world and I'm one of them. But I was not until recently, I was not a fan of any NBA team for 20 years. I was closely following the NBA and watching tons of games on the NBA League Pass and knew all about teams and players without rooting for any particular team... then I decided to follow the Utah Jazz after the Deron Williams trade. Eventually one day I found myself checking NBA Gametime app on phone first thing in the morning. Another loss? Heartbreaking. I pushed the table hard. That's when I realized I've already become a Jazz fan. What I like most:

1. Wise guys
The Jazz historically have a top-notch management and ownership. Miller family is cool. DL is a great GM. Not Buford or Priesti level at this time, but I believe he might end up being the next big GM. Superior IQ, boldness and a great basketball mind. Hiring Quin Snyder was another bold and intelligent move. DL is teaching the league how to rebuild the right way.

2. Fanbase
I followed several online message boards of different NBA teams' fans over the years. They're all different and The Utah Jazz fans are really impressive. It's usual to read posts by Jazz fans with strong knowledge of the game and statistics. You of course will see occasional clueless fan around but we need to look at the average, and I can assure you, it's much much higher than of other teams in NBA.

3. Youth movement
It's a curious thing to observe how young athletes develop and mesh together over time. The Jazz made a tough decision to go full rebuild mode this summer, hired a rookie coach. Oldest starting player was 24 years old. Most people were expecting them to fail but they've not. Right now this young team has -0.7 point differential in the tough Western Conference, will possibly be close to 0 at the end of the year. Last year it was -7.2.
sel-0021-Timberwolves-Jazz-L-e1424392946928.jpg

4. Colors/Jerseys
Like them much. Unique combination of attractive colors, nicely designed jerseys.. and great logo too.

5. Story of Underdog
People say "Well, It's Utah!". National TVs don't broadcast the Jazz's games. Stars won't come and play for the Jazz.. But this club is a lot of fun! I really want to see them succeed. And I truly believe the Utah Jazz will become a contender in two years. And if one day they bring the championship trophy to SLC,it'll be something special (although I'll be 10,000 kms away then).

That's all. Feels good to be a Jazz fan. Big thanks to Colton and all contributors for making Jazzfanz the way it's now.
And I hope one day I'll be able to watch a hard-fought playoff game in ESA. That'd be some experience!

Thank you so much for your contribution, it's really great to have fans from all over the world, myself included!!!

The Jazz has probably one of the best fan base in the NBA and I am really humbled to be a part of it.

I probably don't say this enough, but .... Go Jazz!!!!

I was in 4th grade when Stockton made the shot to send the Jazz to the finals. Been Die hard ever since. But the points you made really make it easier for me to remain a fan.

I was in 4th grade when Stockton made the shot to send the Jazz to the finals. Been Die hard ever since. But the points you made really make it easier for me to remain a fan.

I was in Jr High and was an honorary ball boy for a few games and practices the year Malone was drafted. I was already a fan before that but that experience pretty much cemented it. Been following them ever since.

For the record I sure miss Stock and Malone. And Dantley was a nice guy while Iavaroni of all people was a dick.

Watching and sometimes going to Jazz games was something I did to bond with my dad before he died. I try to use the team as a bonding experience with my kids too.

Great post. It's easy for some of us to assume that someone from Turkey would only like the Jazz because of Okur and Kanter, but clearly that isn't always the case.

OK so I've probably shared this somewhere else before but I should do it here also since this is the thread for it...

Growing up in NZ during the 90's all we got was a weekly ESPN game of the week coverage and a lot of playoff basketball in May/June. And because the Jazz were in the playoffs very often I got to see the Jazz play quite a bit (Stockton/Malone/Mountain jersey era).

In High School during lunch breaks we'd go out and play basketball to pass the time, but I was almost always one of the shortest guys on the team and not a great shooter, so the best way I could contribute was to channel my inner "John Stockton". I would try to keep the dribble alive, always looking to make that perfect entry pass, or a pass in open space leading to a layup, or to an open man for a jumper. It didn't matter whether the shot went in or not, I was happy just making the right passes - my job on the court was done. I felt happiest making the unselfish plays. I'd always think to myself "If Stockton being that short and thin but still being able to contribute at that high level, I can too."

Good times... have always followed the Jazz ever since...

I used to play basketball on an awesome 5 foot hoop in the living room when I was 5 or 6 while my dad watched the Jazz games. I would be Karl Malone and my buddy a little skinny nerd would be John Stockton. Good times.

I have loved the Jazz since they took the showtime Lakers to 7 games in 87-88 I believe. Such a fun series to watch.

I grew up as a Bulls fan in Chicago through the MJ years, and moved to Salt Lake in 2002. It had always stuck with me how much I liked how the Jazz played against the Bulls in the finals, but I didn't pay much attention to the Jazz until my buddy got season tickets the year that Sloan took that terrible team to 40-42. I ended up going to a bunch of games with him and got hooked. The reasons listed in the OP are why this year's team is my favorite team since I started following the Jazz by a country mile.