What's new

Why the Conley trade didn't happen at the deadline (it wasn't Exum)

campaignist

I keep seeing criticisms of the Jazz not including Exum or Favors in the Conley deal at the trade deadline, with the notion that one or both of them were the sticking point in getting the deal done. It's driving me crazy, and it needs to be cleared up. I definitely didn't see it brought up much at the time, so it's understandable. The real reason Memphis didn't pull the trigger earlier was because of the protections they had on their own first round pick this year.

They owe the Celtics a first rounder. The 2019 pick was protected 1-8. The pick is protected 1-6 in 2020. It's unprotected in 2021. They kept Conley in order to finish 9th or better so they could send it this year, which was the smart move at the time. Had they traded him at the deadline, they would have dropped a lot further and conveyed the pick next year. (Unfortunately for the Grizz, the plan didn't work and they ended up at 8th before the lottery, though the number #2 was likely a decent consolation prize.)

They weren't in a realistic position to get the #2 pick, but the new lottery system saw them catapult up there-no one thought the lottery would change that dramatically. Odds are that the plan was to get rid of the pick this year in what's considered a weak draft, and complete the trade in the offseason, to start their tank and get a better pick in a better draft. The smarter move for them after getting the #2 pick was probably to keep Conley to convey the pick next year, but I imagine they weren't getting any better offers (and wouldn't with Conley being a year older) and they'll likely end up out of the top 6 anyway.

Yes, I could be wrong and for all we know Exum actually was the hold up. With the career he's had, do you really think he was more important than the Grizzlies sending their pick earlier? Yeah me neither.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/20...-a-campaign-story-nba-draft-memphis-grizzlies

https://www.commercialappeal.com/st...9-nba-draft-should-grizzlies-tank/2559057002/