What's new

Why trading up for Russell should be the priority

karl malone

I know, it's unlikely & might not even be necessary; but it should still be the priority if it's at all a possibility. The team had one of the best records after the all-star break, Rodney Hood played like a starter, & Dante Exum showed improvement. The team looks ready to compete next year (& for the foreseeable future) just the way it is, but that doesn't mean it should stay just the way it is. As a small market team that is generally low on the FA destination list, Utah has to build the majority of it's team thru the draft & trades (which it has), while using FA to fill in whatever holes remain (which it hopefully will). Right now, the team has what could turn out to be it's last lottery pick for a while, & it should use this opportunity to acquire one last potential star caliber player.

I know most have understandably resigned themselves to trading up a few spots for one of the 2nd tier prospects such as Hezonja, Winslow, Johnson, etc (any of which would be great additions) or using the draft pick on a backup big, & those appear to be the most likely outcomes, but I still think the priority should be making a legitimate offer to move up in order to draft Russell. I understand that it would likely take the perfect circumstances for this to happen (Russell dropping to #4/5 & the team picking at that spot not needing a guard or valuing multiple assets over 1 asset), but with teams putting a lot of value into the combine & Russell likely to not test as well as the other potential top 5 draft candidates, it appears at least possible.

Personally, I would be willing to give up any combination (including all of them) of #12/Burke/Burks/future 1st/OKC 1st/GSW 1st. I know trading all of those assets for a single player is a massive overpay (unless he becomes a generational talent, which I don't expect him to), but I still think it would be a mistake to pass up an opportunity to acquire someone with the offensive potential of Russell. This team is on the brink of being a legitimate contender, but it shouldn't rely solely on internal development. There is a chance that the team (with minor additions thru the draft/FA) could eventually compete as is, & I agree that the last thing we should be doing is potentially messing with the team chemistry, but I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on the team becoming championship caliber as it is & don't think trading the assets I listed above (which may not get it done, but should at the very least force the other team to consider before hanging up) would have much affect on team chemistry.

Again, I know it's likely a long shot, but it's still a shot that we should take. Exum is no guarantee to become a starting caliber player & Hood brings some injury concern (although I'm not overly concerned), which is why Russell is the perfect player to overpay for as he can play either PG/SG & brings the offensive potential that this team appears to be lacking. Best case scenario, Exum & Russell both become fringe all-stars while Hood is the perfect 6th man scorer off the bench. The fact that both Exum & Russell can play either guard position, & Hood can play either SG/SF, means their would be plenty of minutes to go around for all 3 of them. Also, Exum & Russell seem to be a great combination in the backcourt as both can handle the ball & facilitate, while Exum can guard the tougher offensive matchup on the defensive end.

Right now, imo, the 2 most important questions surrounding this team are Exum's development & Hayward's opt out clause. Acquiring Russell gives us a fallback option to both of those questions, while also giving us a potential #1 scoring option. I know that this is just a pipedream, but if there's any possibility of it becoming a reality, the FO should do everything it can (using the assets I listed) to make it happen. Obviously, this may turn out to not even be an option & we need to have a backup plan (as well as a backup plan for the backup plan), but it should still be our first priority nonetheless.

Exum/Russell/Cotton or Neto
Russell/Hood/Millsap
Hayward/Hood/Ingles
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Tomic or Pleiss

Last edited:
I like Russell and don't mind your way of thinking here. But I don't think we have the assets to go and get him unless one of them is named Hayward, Gobert, Favors, or (maybe Exum). High first rounders are not typically traded for 5 or 6 mediocre-to-decent assets.

I like Russell and don't mind your way of thinking here. But I don't think we have the assets to go and get him unless one of them is named Hayward, Gobert, Favors, or (maybe Exum). High first rounders are not typically traded for 5 or 6 mediocre-to-decent assets.

Agree.. and I wouldn't do that. Although I am not as high on Russell as most here. I like him more around #5.

I like Russell and don't mind your way of thinking here. But I don't think we have the assets to go and get him unless one of them is named Hayward, Gobert, Favors, or (maybe Exum). High first rounders are not typically traded for 5 or 6 mediocre-to-decent assets.[/QUOTE

I agree that it's highly unlikely, but a team as lacking in talent such as NYK (if they get bumped down) or LAL would have to at least consider it, as well as a team like ORL who already has it's backcourt of the future.

Agree.. and I wouldn't do that. Although I am not as high on Russell as most here. I like him more around #5.

Understandable, he is far from a sure thing & his lack of elite athleticism is somewhat concerning. I just see him as a perfect fit for this current roster due to his offensive potential & the fact that he can play either guard position. Imo, if he can be acquired without giving up any of Exum/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert, he should be, even if it requires an overpay to do so. I understand that overpaying for a prospect who has yet to play a single minute in the NBA is a risky proposition, I just see it as a justifiable risk if it can be done so by giving up an overpayment of middling assets (as 1 more major asset would be more valuable to this roster than several lesser assets). This is likely the closest we will be for a long time to having the opportunity to acquire another top 5 talent in the draft & would hate to see us miss out on the opportunity to put this team over the top & make it a legitimate championship contender in the future. As the roster currently stands (without a major addition or Exum becoming a star- neither of which I see happening), I see us falling just short of that goal.

I don't think he will be available for what we will be willing to give up. I don't think Burks+#12+OKC pick + GSW pick would do it. If it was possible to do it, I would...

I think there is a slight chance he will drop to 5-6 if other players kill it in the workouts. Usually the hyper-athletic/long players kill it in the workouts so I wouldn't be shocked if some teams fall in love with Mudiay/Hezonja/Porzingis/Winslow who are more explosive and athletic and will probably be impressive in that environment. Russell's best attributes, I feel like, are best seen in a 5-on-5 setting and very few agents let their players participate in 5-on-5s. So yah... We can only hope.

Understandable, he is far from a sure thing & his lack of elite athleticism is somewhat concerning. I just see him as a perfect fit for this current roster due to his offensive potential & the fact that he can play either guard position. Imo, if he can be acquired without giving up any of Exum/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert, he should be, even if it requires an overpay to do so. I understand that overpaying for a prospect who has yet to play a single minute in the NBA is a risky proposition, I just see it as a justifiable risk if it can be done so by giving up an overpayment of middling assets (as 1 more major asset would be more valuable to this roster than several lesser assets). This is likely the closest we will be for a long time to having the opportunity to acquire another top 5 talent in the draft & would hate to see us miss out on the opportunity to put this team over the top & make it a legitimate championship contender in the future. As the roster currently stands (without a major addition or Exum becoming a star- neither of which I see happening), I see us falling just short of that goal.

Yeah, I just don't think you get there without trading those named.

I know, it's unlikely & might not even be necessary; but it should still be the priority if it's at all a possibility. The team had one of the best records after the all-star break, Rodney Hood played like a starter, & Dante Exum showed improvement. The team looks ready to compete next year (& for the foreseeable future) just the way it is, but that doesn't mean it should stay just the way it is. As a small market team that is generally low on the FA destination list, Utah has to build the majority of it's team thru the draft & trades (which it has), while using FA to fill in whatever holes remain (which it hopefully will). Right now, the team has what could turn out to be it's last lottery pick for a while, & it should use this opportunity to acquire one last potential star caliber player.

I know most have understandably resigned themselves to trading up a few spots for one of the 2nd tier prospects such as Hezonja, Winslow, Johnson, etc (any of which would be great additions) or using the draft pick on a backup big, & those appear to be the most likely outcomes, but I still think the priority should be making a legitimate offer to move up in order to draft Russell. I understand that it would likely take the perfect circumstances for this to happen (Russell dropping to #4/5 & the team picking at that spot not needing a guard or valuing multiple assets over 1 asset), but with teams putting a lot of value into the combine & Russell likely to not test as well as the other potential top 5 draft candidates, it appears at least possible.

Personally, I would be willing to give up any combination (including all of them) of #12/Burke/Burks/future 1st/OKC 1st/GSW 1st. I know trading all of those assets for a single player is a massive overpay (unless he becomes a generational talent, which I don't expect him to), but I still think it would be a mistake to pass up an opportunity to acquire someone with the offensive potential of Russell. This team is on the brink of being a legitimate contender, but it shouldn't rely solely on internal development. There is a chance that the team (with minor additions thru the draft/FA) could eventually compete as is, & I agree that the last thing we should be doing is potentially messing with the team chemistry, but I wouldn't feel comfortable betting on the team becoming championship caliber as it is & don't think trading the assets I listed above (which may not get it done, but should at the very least force the other team to consider before hanging up) would have much affect on team chemistry.

Again, I know it's likely a long shot, but it's still a shot that we should take. Exum is no guarantee to become a starting caliber player & Hood brings some injury concern (although I'm not overly concerned), which is why Russell is the perfect player to overpay for as he can play either PG/SG & brings the offensive potential that this team appears to be lacking. Best case scenario, Exum & Russell both become fringe all-stars while Hood is the perfect 6th man scorer off the bench. The fact that both Exum & Russell can play either guard position, & Hood can play either SG/SF, means their would be plenty of minutes to go around for all 3 of them. Also, Exum & Russell seem to be a great combination in the backcourt as both can handle the ball & facilitate, while Exum can guard the tougher offensive matchup on the defensive end.

Right now, imo, the 2 most important questions surrounding this team are Exum's development & Hayward's opt out clause. Acquiring Russell gives us a fallback option to both of those questions, while also giving us a potential #1 scoring option. I know that this is just a pipedream, but if there's any possibility of it becoming a reality, the FO should do everything it can (using the assets I listed) to make it happen. Obviously, this may turn out to not even be an option & we need to have a backup plan (as well as a backup plan for the backup plan), but it should still be our first priority nonetheless.

Exum/Russell/Cotton or Neto
Russell/Hood/Millsap
Hayward/Hood/Ingles
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Tomic or Pleiss

So Rodney Hood can play 2 positions at the same time. Lol tf?

So Rodney Hood can play 2 positions at the same time. Lol tf?

Not sure if you're being serious. I obviously meant that he would be the primary backup to both positions. Hood plays SG when either Exum or Russell sit (with the other playing PG) & SF when Hayward sits. Guess I should have explained better.

Don't see it happening with out gutting the core. Draft picks are so valuable because they are price controlled contracts. Can't see a GM taking on Burks contract while passing up on a young potential franchise player.

I really want to see healthy Burks in our system, but I've also really wantedRussell since September.

In any case, I think Sacramento would be our trading partner. They don't own their 1st rounder next year, and aren't a free agent market. They have Cousins, like Gay (for whatever reason), and are recently high on Mclemore, were very high on Stauskas at the beginning of the season, so we could be able to keep Burks and convince them to swap picks if we throw in Trey Burke, #12 this year, our first rounder next year, and Tibor Pleis. They get cheap labor, a PG, and role players. They strike me as stupid enough to consider it.

Now Russell has to slip and not be impressive at the combine/workouts, while SAC just needs to do what they do.

I think Sacramento wants a PG and a 2-way PF to balance the floor with Cousins/Gay. Their SGs haven't panned out, but there's still time for them.

I think Sacramento will sit at 6 and take whichever of the two top PGs falls to them, assuming one of them does. I seriously doubt the Kings pass on Russell or Mudiay for the opportunity to take back Trey Burke.

The Lakers are a team that might trade Russell or Mudiay. The reasoning would be that they want to attract an All Star-caliber FA (like Dragic) rather than wait to develop a young guard, especially when they already like Clarkson. The Lakers also have plenty of other needs to address. However, they could just take a player like Hezonja or Winslow rather than deal with the Jazz.

I don't really see any scenario the puts Russell on the Jazz without giving up Favors, Gobert or possibly Exum.

I know, I know... It's just bittersweet being in this draft position. We've progressed, but we've also lost some of our safety net. Honestly, it scares the **** out of me. I have faith in DL's drafting, though.

I would still trade Hood + 12 + another pick to get Hezonja if that's somehow possible.

I would make the same trade for Porzingis, actually. I still see Hood as a back-up.