What's new

Why we shouldn't stand pat in the draft

karl malone

Drafting at #12 has put us in a somewhat odd position, especially when you look at the talent projected to go in that range. We are far enough away from the top prospects that it would likely take a significant asset or two to get into that range, yet high enough in the draft that we should still be able to get a quality prospect. Unless someone unexpectedly falls to #12, I'm not sure that the type of prospect that we need will be available when we pick (as we have plenty of rotational players & instead need impact players).

This isn't to say that there aren't some intriguing prospects that will be available when we draft. Oubre, Kaminsky, Portis, Turner, Looney, etc, are all solid options, but I'm not sure drafting any of them would be the best use of the #12 pick. Right now, we don't have many needs (star- not available at #12, backup PG- depending on Burke, stretch 4- depending on Booker, & backup C- depending on Tomic/Pleiss). DL has shown in the past that he's all about value, & drafting a backup player with the #12 pick in any draft is not the best use of such a valuable asset.

We have enough future assets (our own 1st's, GSW 1st, OKC 1st) that we could either move up in the draft, if we decided that doing so was the best use of our draft pick (& whatever additional assets were included), or move down (if we decided that the price of moving up was to steep & were able to find a willing trade partner) in order to continue adding to our collection of future assets (for a future trade), while still filling a need later on in the draft. The latter may turn out to be the better option (opposed to moving up at a steep price/drafting a backup player at #12) as it would still allow us to acquire a solid prospect who fills a need (such as D.Booker, T.Lyles, 1 of the PG's, etc) while adding to our stockpile of future draft picks, which could be used to fill whatever holes may develop in the future (if Hayward opts out & signs elsewhere, Exum busts, Hood has injury problems, etc).

Unless we can move up for a potential impact player who could eventually start on this roster (without giving up any of our core players), I think it would make more sense to trade down, collect additional assets, still fill a need, & give the roster more time to develop in order to assess our long-term needs, rather than to settle for a player who doesn't have the opportunity to become more than a backup player on this team with the #12 pick.

I'd rather move up or use that pick as part of a trade to land a good player at a position of need (if needed).

I'd Love D'Angello Russell in the draft.

What good players can be gotten at the 1 or 2 for some combination of picks (we have multiple 1st and 2nd rounders over the next 4 drafts), Burke, Cooley, Johnson and foreign player rights?

Honestly. All I care about is improving our depth, putting better players around Favors Gobert Hayward Hood Burks and Exum. I think what makes the Warriors so deadly is that bench. I think we are still a good 2-3 years from contending and adding a12th pick could really go a long way in continuing to build team chemistry and our bench around those players mentioned who I think are our main core, and think they are all impact players we could easily have a five headed monster why do we need another high draft pick to muddy up the core in that way?

Honestly. All I care about is improving our depth, putting better players around Favors Gobert Hayward Hood Burks and Exum. I think what makes the Warriors so deadly is that bench. I think we are still a good 2-3 years from contending and adding a12th pick could really go a long way in continuing to build team chemistry and our bench around those players mentioned who I think are our main core, and think they are all impact players we could easily have a five headed monster why do we need another high draft pick to muddy up the core in that way?
Love this post.
#letthecakebake
I don't want to trade our dudes

Hope we win the lottery and get russell doe.

Love this post.
#letthecakebake
I don't want to trade our dudes

Hope we win the lottery and get russell doe.

Seriously assuming Exum pans out our core is set. I was even thinking about it last night, but Hayward might be the closest thing there is to Harden of anyone in the league. It's exciting to think that he could be better next year then he was this year. Favors continues to expand his offensive game. That dude is talented. Gobert might be the best front court defender in the league. Watching what Hood has done as a rookie when he got healthy and time to play was damned good. He played as well as any rookie in the league. I only hear good things about Burks. I think him missing most of the year will end up being a blessing in disguise. I think he had a chance to sit back and learn what's expected of him on offense and defense, and showed improvement on his jumper. I don't envy Coach Q's predicament in choosing which one of Burks or hood starts. Personally I hope it's Burks.

I just hope we take free agency seriously. Move any picks we can and throw money around to bring in some solid positional talent. If we can patch a few chinks in the armor we will be contending next season or the season after. If we keep drafting mid-high level rookies we are a good 4 years away from true contention. Hate to break it to all the Exum fans (of which I am one), but he is not jumping from pretty crappy to all-star in one off-season. I would love to eat those words, but I just don't see that happening. He is a good 3-4 years away from everything he can be, and I don't think we can keep our group together that long playing borderline playoff ball waiting for that. I hope we go out there and try to make a splash while doing our best to keep our core together. In short, don't stand pat in the draft. Use that pick as an asset, not as more D-League fodder.

Adding a player thru the draft has as big a chance of upsetting team chemistry as adding role players (like a back up PG or 3 point shooter) does.

I think most of us agree that the core is set. But there are still clear holes and needs. Better PG (I actually think a vet is perfect here) another shooter, back up C...

Drafting at #12 has put us in a somewhat odd position, especially when you look at the talent projected to go in that range. We are far enough away from the top prospects that it would likely take a significant asset or two to get into that range, yet high enough in the draft that we should still be able to get a quality prospect. Unless someone unexpectedly falls to #12, I'm not sure that the type of prospect that we need will be available when we pick (as we have plenty of rotational players & instead need impact players).

This isn't to say that there aren't some intriguing prospects that will be available when we draft. Oubre, Kaminsky, Portis, Turner, Looney, etc, are all solid options, but I'm not sure drafting any of them would be the best use of the #12 pick. Right now, we don't have many needs (star- not available at #12, backup PG- depending on Burke, stretch 4- depending on Booker, & backup C- depending on Tomic/Pleiss). DL has shown in the past that he's all about value, & drafting a backup player with the #12 pick in any draft is not the best use of such a valuable asset.

We have enough future assets (our own 1st's, GSW 1st, OKC 1st) that we could either move up in the draft, if we decided that doing so was the best use of our draft pick (& whatever additional assets were included), or move down (if we decided that the price of moving up was to steep & were able to find a willing trade partner) in order to continue adding to our collection of future assets (for a future trade), while still filling a need later on in the draft. The latter may turn out to be the better option (opposed to moving up at a steep price/drafting a backup player at #12) as it would still allow us to acquire a solid prospect who fills a need (such as D.Booker, T.Lyles, 1 of the PG's, etc) while adding to our stockpile of future draft picks, which could be used to fill whatever holes may develop in the future (if Hayward opts out & signs elsewhere, Exum busts, Hood has injury problems, etc).

Unless we can move up for a potential impact player who could eventually start on this roster (without giving up any of our core players), I think it would make more sense to trade down, collect additional assets, still fill a need, & give the roster more time to develop in order to assess our long-term needs, rather than to settle for a player who doesn't have the opportunity to become more than a backup player on this team with the #12 pick.
I'm beginning to suspect that you are an imposter. Honestly, I would be surprised if Karl even knows how to type.

This reminds me of a similar thread that in the Jazz forum that must be buried 10 pages deep. I think it was something about trading up to get Russell being a priority.

I also hope that the Lakers' pick falls out of the top 5 so that it goes to the 76ers.

Jazz will see the improbable. Jazz will leap into the top three, the lakers will lose their pick to Philly. Jazz draft D-Russ and become a dynasty. Randle breaks his foot again next year and the Lakers suck for 3 years.

I like the idea of moving down, maybe around 20. We could pick up the best college player in the state and fill a need with a backup pg, who at the very least, would be a great perimeter defender.

Jazz will see the improbable. Jazz will leap into the top three, the lakers will lose their pick to Philly. Jazz draft D-Russ and become a dynasty. Randle breaks his foot again next year and the Lakers suck for 3 years.

Plus the grab Love and Rondo and are mirred in mediocrity for the next 10 years.

I actually like staying at 12 and taking Oubre if he's there. I think he could start next to Exum and add to our length, athleticism and rebounding off the bat, though the rest of his game is raw. I would be okay with Portis or Lyles, and might be okay with Looney, Dekker or Booker. Those are players that would stick in an 8-man rotation.

I think the best move is to offer 12 + a player + a future pick to Denver and Detroit to move up to 7 or 8, which would put us in range for one of Hezonja, Porzingis or Winslow. If Detroit can come out of this draft with Turner + Burke + a future pick, they might do it...though they might want Hood instead of Burke.

One important thing to consider is that this year matters--we have a limited time window to add young talent next to the young core we're developing, namely Exum, Gobert, Hayward. I think we need to add something substantial this year, so we can develop them within a couple years. I'm looking ahead to Hayward re-signing with the Jazz if we're close to contending. (Contending means top 4 in the west.)

If Boston offers 16 + 28 for 12 + a 2nd, I'd think about it, taking Lyles/Payne/Portis at 16 and taking Vezenkov or Harrell if he's there at 28.

Just to clarify, I agree that we should move up in the draft if it is possible to do so without giving up any of our core players (Exum, Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gobert- although I would consider trading Hood in a package to move up for Russell depending on what else had to be included). The point I was trying to make in my original post was if that's not a possibility, that we should trade down rather than remain at #12. I would prefer whoever is left out of Oubre, Kaminsky, Portis, Turner, Looney, Lyles, D.Booker, any of the PG's, etc + a future draft pick instead of our choice of the group. Imo, the talent level in the #10-20 range is close enough that we would be best served moving down & continuing to stockpile assets for a future trade if we are unable to move up.

My order of preference (depending on the price):

1. Move up for Russell
2. Move up for 1 of Mudiay/Hezonja/Winslow
3. Move up for 1 of Johnson/Porzingis/WCS
4. Trade down (to the late teens/early 20's) & acquire another future 1st round pick
5. Stand pat at #12 & draft bpa

Can we move up for a chance at a player that might be Kanter?

I'm not a fan of buying overpriced merchandise. Draft picks are the definition of that. I'd rather trade down and find a Rudy, a Rondo, a Ginobili, a Kawhi. We'd have a much better chance swapping a #9 for a #14 and #21 than the other way around.

Can we move up for a chance at a player that might be Kanter?

I'm not a fan of buying overpriced merchandise. Draft picks are the definition of that. I'd rather trade down and find a Rudy, a Rondo, a Ginobili, a Kawhi. We'd have a much better chance swapping a #9 for a #14 and #21 than the other way around.

At first I bristled at your suggestion. Conventional wisdom suggests you stay put and draft the player you want. But if Lindsey believes that he can outsmart everyone in the late first round --Rudy an Rodney suggest he can, and if he believes that his teams strength is developing young players--as he stated this morning on 1280, then your idea seems more reasonable.

At first I bristled at your suggestion. Conventional wisdom suggests you stay put and draft the player you want. But if Lindsey believes that he can outsmart everyone in the late first round --Rudy an Rodney suggest he can, and if he believes that his teams strength is developing young players--as he stated this morning on 1280, then your idea seems more reasonable.

It's all situational. If you're moving up for Deron or CP3 in an obviously loaded draft then pull the trigger. If you're moving up in a bad draft like Trey then you're gambling point blank. It's usually a crap shoot and I'd rather have numbers on my side if that's the case.

Kaminsky!!! Second coming of Ryan Anderson with ability to play in post too. Maybe Greg Foster part 2?

Sent from the JazzFanz app