What's new

Wilbon: Jazz a 55-win team next year with Steve Nash

Golfman

Michael Wilbon on PTI suggested today that Steve Nash go to Utah.

He said: "As somebody who loves to see Steve Nash play and be effective and play with a team of weapons, he should go to Utah where they got Millsap, Jefferson, Favors, Burks, Hayward, Kanter; players, young ones, agile ones, athletic ones, and assets. They could make a trade or sign him as a free agent. If Steve Nash goes there, that is a 55 win team next year."

I agree and hope we go out and get him. Kind of goes against our whole youth movement thing, but I think Steve has 2 good years left.

I was thinking this last night when I was reminded he was at the end of his deal. I think Steve would be great in a Jazz uniform. Pass 1st PG that can shoot lights out as needed. Plus a ton of experience and a great leader.

I'm sold.

I'd like to see our big bangers and Nash on the court.

Bangers_and_mash_1.jpg

This same thought entered my mind while watching the Steve Nash interview during last night's game. Why not let it fly? Bring Nash to Utah!

Can't say the idea doesn't pique a little interest to me. However, he is likely still going to want a ton of money for what will amount to a rental until he retires. I think it will be too much salary for such a short term arrangement. Better to just draft or trade for a PG and let them develop behind what we already have.

If we get the GS pick and pick what we hope will be our future PG, what better development could he get than playing under Nash for a couple of years?

so you want us to sign a guy that expensive and use him as a mentor?

when you look at the top 8-9 guys on the roster right now, just about every single one of them is on their way up in their career -- or at worst is at an age where they should be at/around their peak for several more years: devin is 29, al and paul are 27 and both having career years, the four young guys, even carroll....

nash just doesn't fit with that. nash is a great pickup for a team whose window is closing. our window is just barely starting to open.

-Get lucky and draft Lillard
-Trade Harris to the Lakers for Darium Morris/Odom TPE (does Sessions opt-in and do they keep him?)
-Sign Steve Nash
-Set oven

Can't say the idea doesn't pique a little interest to me. However, he is likely still going to want a ton of money for what will amount to a rental until he retires. I think it will be too much salary for such a short term arrangement. Better to just draft or trade for a PG and let them develop behind what we already have.

this.

the guy will get offers of 3 years 30M, maybe even 3 years 40M.... if he signs for less, it will be because he's taking an MLE deal with a contender, but even then it's 3 years 20M.

you guys really want to pay that just so marshall/lillard have a guy to be their big brother who, incidentally, will block their growth because he'll be guaranteed 30-35 minutes a night?

In theory that would be great to have nash..... however! Nash plays very little D that's been his knock for years. Couple that with AL jeff's D and what do you have, a train wreck.

so you want us to sign a guy that expensive and use him as a mentor?

when you look at the top 8-9 guys on the roster right now, just about every single one of them is on their way up in their career -- or at worst is at an age where they should be at/around their peak for several more years: devin is 29, al and paul are 27 and both having career years, the four young guys, even carroll....

nash just doesn't fit with that. nash is a great pickup for a team whose window is closing. our window is just barely starting to open.

I disagree. We are in a pretty unique situation where we are both rebuilding and competing at the same time. I do not think that Devin Harris is a part of the future of this team although he seems like a good guy and has been a key element of the good play over the last month. Bringing in a player like Nash or Ray Allen would make us better than we are now while at the same time developing our youngsters. It took John Stockton three years to be a regular starter and he turned out pretty nice. If Lilard or Marshall have to play second fiddle to Nash for a couple of years, I really don`t think that would hurt the team at all.

It would be an unbelievable move if Utah could land Nash. Obviously you'd worry because of his age but the guy is such a freak of nature, just put him on a similar rotation Jerry used for Stockton after age 35 (32 min per game, come out at the 4min-mark of 1st&3rd and re-enter after under-9 TO of 2nd&4th regardless of score). It would be imperative the Jazz have a competent backup but Nash not only improves the on-court chemistry, he'd improve the lockerroom and huddle as well.

It wouldn't be a perfect fit - it's easy to compare Nash to Stock because of their age/effectiveness but his game is completely different, Stock was as efficient as a robot, same sets, same plays, if the defense did "a" Stock would do "b." Nash improvises more, does alot more probing, dribbling aimlessly until he creates a passing lane for a teammate, ect ... so Ty would have to loosen the reigns a little more (i.e. less iso on the low block and lift our bigs to the high-post to create the spacing that Nash needs to thrive).

He'd give Utah a 2-3 year window to develop younger talent to eventually become the longterm answer at PG, he'd keep Utah super competitive and he would get all of our bigs some great looks.

Ultimately though, I don't think Nash would choose the Jazz on his own because if he leaves Phoenix his goal will be to win a championship - and Utah isn't at the level yet. Becoming a legitimate championship contender is a multi-step process over multiple years, and the Jazz have only reached Step 1.