What's new

Will Dante Exum Make the Leap In Year 3?

Do you think Dante will make a leap in year 3

• Yes, to legit Starting Point Guard

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Yes, but only as a good back up PG

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • No, I think Exum needs another year or 2 to develop

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • No, I think Exum is destined to be a bust

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
which part? Is he no longer physically gifted or do you think he has progressed a lot? In my opinion Dante has gone from way below average guard skills, to not as far below average. This is not super encouraging. For heaven's sake, Shelvin Mack was an obviously better player than Dante last year!

So who is a good comp for Dante that makes you think he will be even a below average starter some day?

I don't think the timid thing is that accurate anymore, he didn't shy away from contact last year. His FG% was up from what 34-35% to 41 i think ? and his shot distribution was noticably better, more either at the rim or 3's.

He doesn't have a good comp, he's still such a mystery because of his real lack of just time playing basketball games the last 5 years. I think last year his real struggles were defensively which i'm expecting to be much better this year with his feet under him. Hopefully now the knee is truly behind him he'll start to learn more, but i think he'll make a moderate improvement this year and then a big leap next.

Anyone who has elite measurables and one real super elite skill as in his first step or two and can figure that out has a place. I'm looking forward to seeing what Quin does with him this year now that he's not worried about winning every single second of every game to please the great Betrayward. Really hope he lets Mitchell and Exum have a little rope to play with.

I think last year his real struggles were defensively which i'm expecting to be much better this year with his feet under him. Hopefully now the knee is truly behind him he'll start to learn more, but i think he'll make a moderate improvement this year and then a big leap next.

I hope you are right. There is no denying his length and speed and my favorite part of the game is watching players develop.

I hope you are right. There is no denying his length and speed and my favorite part of the game is watching players develop.

that's the thing, he was so far behind in terms of playing experience and development to start with and then with the ACL and the team's circumstances last year we still don't really know. I would hope that this year will at least give us an insight into his future, i still think he could be anywhere from really average to all star with time.

And he has only played 2 years, so he's actually just starting his 3rd year. And yes, he definitely showed improvement from his rookie season, despite coming back from a very serious injury that some players never fully recover from.

Just the fact that you though he's played 4 years is very telling. Anyone calling him a bust is either very misinformed or had unrealistic expectations in the first place.

he's alec burks 2.0. he has tons of talent, but doesn't have the 'it' factor that you need for a dominating point guard. that doesn't mean that he will never start, and it doesn't even mean that he doesn't have good value, but that value is as a change of pace guard to keep the team afloat, not as a captain type leader on the court. his 'presence' isn't where it needs to be to lead, and our point needs to lead. Also, because his and rubio's age aren't that different, only five years, when will dante ever inherit the position? by the time rubio retires (hopefully with us), dante will likely be near the end of his prime. and no, let's not be the team that trades rubio. let's hope that he realizes his full potential here and leaves his mark on the team for years to come.

that's the thing, he was so far behind in terms of playing experience and development to start with and then with the ACL and the team's circumstances last year we still don't really know. I would hope that this year will at least give us an insight into his future, i still think he could be anywhere from really average to all star with time.

I think the issue with Dante - and Rodney - is that you can't keep and pay everybody. Lindsey is pretty high on Mitchell. And the Jazz traded for a PG who is already at the level we all hoped Dante could eventually reach. So what do you do with Exum and Hood if the starters at the 1/2 are going to be Rubio and Mitchell (if not this year for Donovan, then next)? Certainly, one of them could be a sixth man if willing to come off the bench. Or Jazz could see if Hood could play the 3. I think that's doubtful defensively.

I see Utah pursuing a trade for a bigger starting SF and moving Ingles into a backup role. Who that is, I don't know. Could also look for a solution at PF if Lindsey doesn't think Favors will be healthy or would be too expensive to re-sign. TBH, the trade that makes the most sense is Favors and Exum for Love (there would have to be some other players involved to make salaries match). Cleveland needs a PG. Even when IT returns, I don't see them keeping him IF Lebron leaves.

I think the issue with Dante - and Rodney - is that you can't keep and pay everybody. Lindsey is pretty high on Mitchell. And the Jazz traded for a PG who is already at the level we all hoped Dante could eventually reach. So what do you do with Exum and Hood if the starters at the 1/2 are going to be Rubio and Mitchell (if not this year for Donovan, then next)? Certainly, one of them could be a sixth man if willing to come off the bench. Or Jazz could see if Hood could play the 3. I think that's doubtful defensively.

yeah i think one of Exum Hood and Mitchell won't be around long term.

yeah i think one of Exum Hood and Mitchell won't be around long term.

The other wild card here is Burks. He's signed for two seasons and could slot in as a backup to Mitchell if the Jazz trade Hood. I like the Jazz team and don't want to see anyone leave or get traded. But teams make trades and players decide to move on. Jazz have been pretty stable. Other franchises view players as commodities and move parts around to find best fits. Look at GS. Lot of trades and acquisitions to get that team to where it's at now.

With Hood and Exum, maybe this is case where Lindsey has knowledge that they don't want to stay (or won't for less than a boatload of money). It's not exactly a Hayward situation since both are restricted, but better to get something now for both of them than match huge offers.

Just the fact that you though he's played 4 years is very telling. Anyone calling him a bust is either very misinformed or had unrealistic expectations in the first place.
This was a stupid and inconsistent post.

1) Dante is more likely than not to be a bust if you expected him to start by his fourth year, or to turn into an allstar. Which of those is an unrealistic expectation of a top 5 pick? As far as allstar goes, I suspect that most people would put his odds of being a below average starter or worse much higher than his odds of being a top 15 guard.

2) In regards to your catty comment on me saying he had played 4 years (instead of 3). It is hypocritical of you to criticize my momentary laps in memory and then in the same post say that Dante is starting his third year. This statement is factually wrong. He is starting his 4th year. In addition, you said "though" instead of thought. So again, your comment is factually wrong. I assume these lapses on your part are also "very telling".

3) What do the slight factual errors in our posts tell? Do they tell the same thing? Does it mean that every comment with a slight factual error is automatically incorrect or is it that the writer has no useful insights?

4) I would like to suggest that you change your user name to Pot and going forward just address all your comments to "Dear Kettle".

Last edited:
new question: is Mitchell going to be what we all wanted Dante to become?

I would say no. I mean, comp wise, we'd never compare 19 year old Exum to the same guys Mitchell has been compared to. But if the answer to your question is meant to be more broad, certainly a possibility but the jury should still be considered out on Exum, especially after the torn ACL.

I think it's possible that he makes a leap under the following circumstances:

1. Quin Snyder gives him a long leash and lets him make mistakes without pulling him. Should have done this last year but the org sold out to keep snekward.
2. He is allowed to run the offense in the half court as opposed to mostly being used off ball.
3. The Jazz let him push the pace much more, and commit to trying to run more and then set up their offense when it isn't there.
4. He actually worked hard the whole summer. It looked like he was working hard, and then went to Australia for a while. If he kept working just as hard and put in the work he's going to come back much better.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Exum and Mitchell bringing tons of energy off the bench. I hope that the coaches foster an environment where these two guys play together. There is a chance that they could be a nice modern guard combo in the next few seasons.

Those commenting negatively on Dante are clueless, this is the year we will hopefully find out either way.

Just remember;

year 1: Straight out of Aussie High school and plays every game
year 2: ACL in offseason
year 3: Recovering from ACL, FO cautious with his recovery, short leash from Quin to appease #COWARD
year 4: First offseason where he has been able to work on his body and his game

The dude is 22. Its fair enough to say that he has to show A LOT this year but those going either way have absolutely nothing to base that opinion on.

Hope you all eat your words on Dante, Favors and Burks.

Those commenting negatively on Dante are clueless, this is the year we will hopefully find out either way.

Just remember;

year 1: Straight out of Aussie High school and plays every game
year 2: ACL in offseason
year 3: Recovering from ACL, FO cautious with his recovery, short leash from Quin to appease #COWARD
year 4: First offseason where he has been able to work on his body and his game

The dude is 22. Its fair enough to say that he has to show A LOT this year but those going either way have absolutely nothing to base that opinion on.

Hope you all eat your words on Dante, Favors and Burks.

He was also drafted #5 based on being a high school player, having looked good against 5'8" kids. Where would he go in a 2014 redraft? 18?
Now ask yourself, would you feel so strongly and be making this same case for someone we picked #18?

He was also drafted #5 based on being a high school player, having looked good against 5'8" kids. Where would he go in a 2014 redraft? 18?
Now ask yourself, would you feel so strongly and be making this same case for someone we picked #18?

I'll admit Im an Exum homer but I'd have the same thought process for any 1st round pick. Especially one with the upside Exum has and knowing he would take longer than most to develop.

Exum's international play is why he was drafted 5th (FIBA U-17/U-19 World Championships).

Last edited: