What's new

Will Favors finally make the athletick leap?

Also, my particular definition of athleticism is almost entirely based off speed, quickness, jumping ability, explosiveness and to a lesser extent, strength.

Agility always seems to be the separating factor IMO. A lot of people like Jeremy Evans can possess the factors you list but not beI world renowned athletes. It's always splitting hairs in the athletics discussion.

^^^ Weren't we talking about PF?

Also, no idea how you consider Zach Randolph an athletic big since he might be the most nonathletic player at any position in the NBA.

My thoughts exactly.

Zach Randolph gets **** done, not my favorite PF and it isn't pretty. He gets the job done though!

What is an athle tick? I've googled but can't find any mention of one. I think other kinds of ticks can make leaps, though. Not as far as fleas, of course.

tick.jpg

Agility always seems to be the separating factor IMO. A lot of people like Jeremy Evans can possess the factors you list but not beI world renowned athletes. It's always splitting hairs in the athletics discussion.
Good point on the agility.

The number one trait of athletes is something that I rarely hear mentioned. It's body control. Some people just seem more attuned to making their body do exactly what they want it to than others. I've known heavy guys that look like they will be clumsy, but who posses a high level of athleticism which only really becomes obvious in the heat of competition. I've also known guys who look like the epitome of athleticism... but some lack that element of fine motor control that makes all the difference.

The number one trait of athletes is something that I rarely hear mentioned. It's body control. Some people just seem more attuned to making their body do exactly what they want it to than others. I've known heavy guys that look like they will be clumsy, but who posses a high level of athleticism which only really becomes obvious in the heat of competition. I've also known guys who look like the epitome of athleticism... but some lack that element of fine motor control that makes all the difference.

Yeah but Boris Diaw has tremendous body control, I'm not gonna call him athletic for NBA standards because of it though, he's mobile. There's also MANY players who are much better at controlling their body on one end of the court, so I'm not sure if its really the '#1 trait'. However I'd argue that it's probably something the Jazz are looking for, because they've said so in regards to Trey Lyles.

In the NBA you have your freak athletes, like Andre Drummond, then there's an elite, or near elite tier just below, and that's where Favors is and will likely remain for some time(whether you qualify the list by size or position). If Favors were to take another leap athletically as this thread asks - where would that put him?? Near Blake Griffin, or Prime Amare?? He's not that type of freak athlete.. especially not at 262lbs.

You can go back and check the Favors highlights from HS or College, when he was closer to a standard sized NBA PF (245lbs) and you will see him with slightly more bounce, I can remember someone using the term "Ultra-athletic" to describe his game.

Lets not forget that Favors was drafted ahead of arguably the best C in the league, DeMarcus Cousins, and surely the reason that took place is because Favors was/is more athletic.

Yeah but Boris Diaw has tremendous body control, I'm not gonna call him athletic for NBA standards because of it though, he's mobile. There's also MANY players who are much better at controlling their body on one end of the court, so I'm not sure if its really the '#1 trait'. However I'd argue that it's probably something the Jazz are looking for, because they've said so in regards to Trey Lyles.

In the NBA you have your freak athletes, like Andre Drummond, then there's an elite, or near elite tier just below, and that's where Favors is and will likely remain for some time(whether you qualify the list by size or position). If Favors were to take another leap athletically as this thread asks - where would that put him?? Near Blake Griffin, or Prime Amare?? He's not that type of freak athlete.. especially not at 262lbs.

You can go back and check the Favors highlights from HS or College, when he was closer to a standard sized NBA PF (245lbs) and you will see him with slightly more bounce, I can remember someone using the term "Ultra-athletic" to describe his game.

Lets not forget that Favors was drafted ahead of arguably the best C in the league, DeMarcus Cousins, and surely the reason that took place is because Favors was/is more athletic.
I think the only reason Demarcus didn't go second in the draft was potential tudinal issues.

Agreed. In NBA jargon, "athleticism" is defined in a limited way to speed/ quickness/ explosiveness/ jumping. More paradoxical to motor control is that strength is generally not considered (Mailman, Ben Wallace, etc)

Motor control is generally not lumped into athleticism and rarely discussed separately: Think Steve Nash, Andre Miller, Stockton, Bird, Randolph, Reggie Miller, all labeled non-athletic.

Jeremy Evans, Shannon Brown = athletic
Larry Bird, Karl Malone = non-athletic

Go figure

this upcoming season is the first one of Favors career where he's prepping his body for full-time duty at PF. I wonder if he'll slim down a little bit? It'd be interesting to see him somewhere around 250.

this upcoming season is the first one of Favors career where he's prepping his body for full-time duty at PF. I wonder if he'll slim down a little bit? It'd be interesting to see him somewhere around 250.
Good post.

I hope he does. If he could drop 10-15 lbs, he would only be that much quicker. I think he would still be plenty strong against other PF.

I think it was more because there were red flags with DMC. Talent and potential were certainly there, but IINM, there were character concerns coming out of college. Otherwise, I think DMC goes #1 or #2.

Not to mention DeAndre Jordan, Willie Cauley Stein, Karl Anthony Towns, and Tyson Chandler. There are plenty of athletic centers in the NBA.

That list is utter ****. Apparently my definition of athleticism is far more refined than yours.

Exactly. Athleticism discussions tend to be centered around raw physical traits. Name me one top 50 player that was nothing but raw talent. You won't find a single one but you will find 50 agile, body controlling specimens who are also explosive.