What's new

Will someone give me any reason to hope for the Jazz to improve.

sgjazzfan

They have been horrible. I don't know if I should blame Corbin or the lockout. Simple basketball plays they just mess up on. I don't know if I have ever seen so many long, lazy passes get intercepted. They give up turnovers and 4 players surround the ball only to leave other players wide open for a layup or a 3 pointer. Right now the only players that look like they belong in the NBA are Favors, Burks (on offense, not on defense), Kanter (only for his rebounding, and aggressive play with the ball, even though he hasn't learned to make layups), Howard (even though he can barely hit the rim on his shots), and Milsap (by far the best player on the team right now, and should be starting with Favors to get AJ off the court).

At least we can look forward to at least one high pick in the next draft. Hopefully GS can give us another mid lottery pick also. I just don't see this team improving enough to get even close to the playoffs this year.

Sorry for my rant, but I was just blown away by the dumb, careless plays time after time. Someone on this team needs to take control and soon. I don't know if you can really blame anyone for playing bad when there isn't any organization and teamwork going on.

It's all about experience. This team was never making the playoffs or even being close to the 8th seed. They are rebuilding. The young guys are going to need minutes and experience while some of the older guys are dealt for other assets(Jefferson dealt that is). I think your expectation coming into this season was too high. They are definitely better than they have been playing thus far, but don't expect huge things from this team. When you watch them on TV or in person, expect mistakes.

John Wooden: "If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."

I don't mind mistakes or even losing, its the dumb idiotic things that no basketball player should do. I want to see them at least compete.

Yes, because remember, we have a new coach, 3 Second year players, 2 Rookie players and 2 new free agents, with no off-season and no real pre-season to work with. It will take time... I see a lot of potential in Hayward, Favors, Burks, Millsap and Kanter. Actually that should be a line-up, if you could put Millsap at the 3 and Burks at point.

Except it seemed like Burks was getting really tired, not quite in game condition yet.

The things we should be looking at right now will probably not be things that show up in the final score. OK City was angling for the worst record of all time only a couple of years ago with substantially the same players they have now.

I don't mind mistakes or even losing, its the dumb idiotic things that no basketball player should do. I want to see them at least compete.

I have faith they will compete at a much higher level when they get a lot more time on the court together. Until then you just have to try to point out a couple of positives and let that be enough for you. Burks played well for the most part. Kanter is rebounding as we would have hoped. His offensive game is going to take some time to develop.

Yes, because remember, we have a new coach, 3 Second year players, 2 Rookie players and 2 new free agents, with no off-season and no real pre-season to work with. It will take time... I see a lot of potential in Hayward, Favors, Burks, Millsap and Kanter. Actually that should be a line-up, if you could put Millsap at the 3 and Burks at point.

Except it seemed like Burks was getting really tired, not quite in game condition yet.
Well then, if Burks gets the Fesenko treatment, he should get <5 MPG alternating with DNPs for the next month.

2012 draft.

This plus our young guys are getting/will get some time ont he floor. Like Kanter, they are playing him more than I thought they would. Favors and Burks need more though.

The things we should be looking at right now will probably not be things that show up in the final score. OK City was angling for the worst record of all time only a couple of years ago with substantially the same players they have now.

I too had this notion. Then I remembered that it seems we have not one, let alone two, alpha males who truly believe, check that, know, they can take over a game on offense and score because of their supreme athleticism and/or skill. Favors is quiet. Hayward's not nearly athletic or talented enough. Kanter will never be athletic enough. And Burks, well, I doubt it, as high on him as I am. In short, it's a cute thought but it's not reality. We have no superstars or future superstars (say top 8 players in the league) on this team. Unfortunately for us, next year's crop doesn't appear to have any superstars either.

I too had this notion. Then I remembered that it seems we have not one, let alone two, alpha males who truly believe, check that, know, they can take over a game on offense and score because of their supreme athleticism and/or skill. Favors is quiet. Hayward's not nearly athletic or talented enough. Kanter will never be athletic enough. And Burks, well, I doubt it, as high on him as I am. In short, it's a cute thought but it's not reality. We have no superstars or future superstars (say top 8 players in the league) on this team. Unfortunately for us, next year's crop doesn't appear to have any superstars either.

Disagree with most of what you are saying. The upcoming draft has at least 4 superstars. Burks has alpha male personality. Favors is quite, but was so was Duncan. Not comparing the two skill set, just saying. Favors will be a force in the league. Your assessment of Hayward is off base as well. I mean if what you say is true, the millers should just sell the team and be done with it. I think Ty is a HUGE issue here. These guys need a veteran coach who can teach them the ins and outs. Ty is clueless and is in way over his head and his guys know it.

Jazz have only 4 guys under contact for 2013 - and all of them are team options.

I would say that's reason to be hopeful.