What's new

Will the Jazz Finish in the Top 6?

Will the Jazz Finish in the Top 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nate505

Modstapo Lite
Staff member
Honestly curious what everyone else thinks. If you would have asked me this a week or so ago I would have thought it was a dumb question.

As it stands now the Jazz are in the 6th position and just two games ahead of Minnesota in the loss column. I know that's really three due to the Jazz owning the tiebreaker, so I believe their magic number to clinch be a spot in the real playoffs is 2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

I do think they'll do it as they got games against OKC and Portland left, and they just need to win them even if the Wolves run the table, but honestly, I'm not all that confident about it. This team is allergic to success it seems.

6 seed would be best possible outcome for us at the moment.
Though I wouldn't be too stunned if they got to 5, yeah, it looks that way.

The play-in would be a disaster. I'm not sure if they could beat the Clippers or Pelicans/Spurs at home with the way they're playing now.

We're two games ahead of the Timberwolves and own the tiebreaker, the odds of them passing us are extremely low. I think us and the Nuggets would both prefer 6th to 5th, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Yeah with the Jazz having the tie breaker and still having 2 teams that have no interest in winning on the schedule. There is a very slim that we don’t finish in the top 6

I know how this season ends… we end up on the #6 and face GS… we miraculously go up 3-0… we are up 30 in game 4 and immediately blow that lead in devastating fashion… we lose every game by 40 the rest of the series. Midway through game 7 Snyder quits… trades are announced in the post game presser… Locke reports that it’s totally normal for this to happen… Andy Larsen has an aneurysm as he hears for the 400th time from Mike Conley that they just need to lock in and it will be fine. Ryan Smith takes off his backwards hat and hoody and reveals he was Donald Sterling all along.

I know how this season ends… we end up on the #6 and face GS… we miraculously go up 3-0… we are up 30 in game 4 and immediately blow that lead in devastating fashion… we lose every game by 40 the rest of the series. Midway through game 7 Snyder quits… trades are announced in the post game presser… Locke reports that it’s totally normal for this to happen… Andy Larsen has an aneurysm as he hears for the 400th time from Mike Conley that they just need to lock in and it will be fine. Ryan Smith takes off his backwards hat and hoody and reveals he was Donald Sterling all along.
LoPoo turns out to be DM. And Sterling announces MeloTheJazzKiller as the new coach.

I think the Jazz only need two games to get the 6th seed. Last game against Portland…they are desperately trying to lose. Jazz go up by 35 in the first half, but alas, Kris Dunn sets the NBA record and hits 16 three pointers in the second half as well as breaking Stockton’s steal record in one game.

The Jazz go on to play the Clippers in the first play in game. You know how that goes.

Finally, the Jazz face off against Lakers who somehow make the play-in themselves. Anthony Davis gets injured in the first quarter after Royce runs directly into a screen he set. LeBron James leaves at halftime to go to a movie premier. Jazz go up by 45, only to be dismantled by a Stanley Johnson-Dwight Howard PnR. Quin’s got nothing. He spits out his gum and puts it back in 3 times. Jazz have the ball with no shot clock and a two point lead. Mitchell holds onto the ball wanting to take the FT’s himself…but he turns it over and RWB takes a half court shot for the win!!! It bricks off the backboard so hard it flies backward over Conley’s head right to Melo. Three to the dome!

Though I wouldn't be too stunned if they got to 5, yeah, it looks that way.

The play-in would be a disaster. I'm not sure if they could beat the Clippers or Pelicans/Spurs at home with the way they're playing now.
Agree. With this level, we have to avoid Play in if we can.

Now that we've clinched a playoff spot, I can't help but wonder if we should just rest our starters the rest of the season...keep everyone healthy going into the playoffs and hopefully drop to sixth and avoid the Suns in the second round, if we make it.

Can someone remind me what being a division winner means? Let’s say we win the NW Div but finish 5th in the standings. Do we get home court advantage over Dallas?

Can someone remind me what being a division winner means? Let’s say we win the NW Div but finish 5th in the standings. Do we get home court advantage over Dallas?

Pre 2015-16 we would have been the 4th seed with home court. Not anymore.

Can someone remind me what being a division winner means?

It means nothing now. I don't even think it guarantees a playoff spot.

Actually I think the only thing it means is you have to play every team in your division 4 times, compared to the random 3 games against other same conference teams.

I thought about this a little more and changed my vote to YES!

Doesn’t record against your division end up being a criterion at some point as like a tertiary or quaternary tie breaker?