What's new

Will The Jazz Make a Draft Day Trade?

Will the Jazz Make a Trade on Draft Day?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, I’m prepared to be disappointed. I am a Jazz fan after all.

The offseason is looking like we’re going to give up a first round pick to offload Fav’s salary (trading down or out) so we can overpay Mike Conley. And then sign some minimum dudes. That is depressing as ****.

So we are same team as last year with the same aging core and all we are doing is replacing Niang and Favors’ rotation spots with minimum contract guys. One of our developmental guys has finally developed into an NBA player, and we just let him walk? Fav is overpaid, but he is a serviceable if not good backup center. We’re going to give up a pick just to create another hole in the roster to be filled by a minimum guy? To get off a guy that only makes $9 million?

We also again failed to address with any quality players the perimeter defense issues. How the hell are we better now or potentially better down the road with moves like that?

Not sure how you could spin that as a positive. It reeks of lacking a clear vision of what we’re trying to do. Are we trying to contend? Well then why are replacing two rotation players with minimum contract guys? And giving up a first round pick for the privilege of doing so. Just pay the GD tax and run it all back for one year, Ryan, or at least get to the deadline and see if you can’t make some tax saving move then.

Are we trying to get a little younger and build a little flexibility for a potential roster pivot next summer? Okay, then why haven’t we traded one of our rotation guys for a younger piece towards that end? I am fine with us being consciously a little worse next year by trading Joe or Bogey and bringing in a younger player or draft pick to try to build around Don for a run at it three years down the road. What I am not okay with is us getting worse by replacing rotation pieces with vet minimum guys and burning a first round pick for the privilege of doing so. That doesn’t help us win now, nor does it help us pivot down the road.

Just do something with a clear vision in mind. Paying lip service to contention but cheaping out on what it takes to get there will really piss me off. But I’d expect nothing less from a BYU guy.
TLDR. If you’ve been a jazz fan for more than 10 years, then you should have super-thick skin as far as these dynamics go. I mean, it’s always this way... so why would you find a way to create different expectations? It’s weird, bro.

For one or two games he impressed me on defense. Imagine if he always gave that much effort.
He does give the effort, he just isnt good at defense. He has size and strength and he can guard a guy like Kawhi if Kawhi is settling too much and not playing in space.

It floors me that people think bogey doesn’t play with effort
Physical energy is generally good… I will say he doesn’t always seem locked in on defense mentally but he may just not have defensive IQ. There are a few times he gets spacey and it might look like he doesn’t try.

He does give the effort, he just isnt good at defense. He has size and strength and he can guard a guy like Kawhi if Kawhi is settling too much and not playing in space.
He was pretty good at defense against Kawhi for two games and it stood out. You can't tell me he has guarded anyone that hard and with that much effort since we signed him. Thus a lot of "effort". (Not saying he doesn't give effort) People here are so anal about the stupidest things sometimes.

Why do all these players post such cryptic messages
Have no idea what any of them mean :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Favs has admitted to sending these types of things out to watch fans freak out... he loves trolling us. From him I would keep that in mind... he may very well get traded or he might find the rumors hilarious and be messing with us.

Favs has admitted to sending these types of things out to watch fans freak out... he loves trolling us. From him I would keep that in mind... he may very well get traded or he might find the rumors hilarious and be messing with us.
Favors wouldn’t be the one I would trade. I would trade Bogey first and maybe even Joe first, because they have positive value, make more dough, and are taking up minutes where we need someone else to be taking up minutes.

Unless a wing or backup C comes back in a Favors deal, trading Favors just creates a new need (backup C) and does nothing to solve the existing problem of perimeter defense. When you combine that with Fav having negative trade value and being on only a $9 million contract, he aint the move.

Feels like everything is knee jerk right now. What 2 yrs ago our defense was awesome, but we couldn't score. So now we're the best 3pt team, but struggled to score when we couldn't adjust. I can't say exactly what we need, but I don't see Bogdan as a huge issue. It feels to me like making a move just to change that is knee jerk imho.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

Feels like everything is knee jerk right now. What 2 yrs ago our defense was awesome, but we couldn't score. So now we're the best 3pt team, but struggled to score when we couldn't adjust. I can't say exactly what we need, but I don't see Bogdan as a huge issue. It feels to me like making a move just to change that is knee jerk imho.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app
In my opinion, we need...

a PG who is a defender and creator but decent enough shooter
and
replace Bojan with more defense but an adequate enough 3pt shot
and
a perimeter defender on the bench
and
a stretch 5 option

We could solve a couple of those by getting Nance. Mostly, we need to make sure Don is the worst defender on the court at all times. That's what's going to matter deep in the playoffs.

This makes me sad. We screwed him over.
We gave him a contract where he was making like 19M/yr for two years. The second year wasn’t guaranteed. We traded him getting it guaranteed. We gave him a larger deal and more years than he would have gotten elsewhere in free agency. He’ll still be on that contract somewhere else if he were traded, whereas he probably wouldn’t be on such a nice contract next year had we not given him that one last year.