What's new

Williams, Sloan put the past where it belongs

There was an article in a Chicago paper about the resignation. DWill ran the wrong play 21 times in that game and Sloan said John Stockton ran the wrong play once in his career. Sloan wanted DWill suspended, management balked and that was that.

Nope, never a prima donna. **** DWill. Fine that he regrets it but he doesn't get a pass.

I don't think Deron was ever a true Primadona. He was a little ****y, and stubborn, but he was never that bad.

I met him after a game in OKC, after I got what was essentially a back stage pass. It was all the players, and a lot of their families.
Deron was super chill. Took a picture with my wife, and talked and hung out the whole time. We clearly stood out being the only fans there.
Everyone was super nice to us. Brewer and CJ in particular.

Deron was crusified by some for daring to not bow to the master of all Sloan. Both men didn't handle it at all that well but I think Sloan was more of a "Primadona" in
that situation than anyone.
"1, 2, 3, good luck". But I'll give him a pass. He was a legend, and gave us his all for decades.

Thrilled Deron is back with the us in some sense! He was the Mitchell of that era. Our player everyone knew all around the NBA, and had national fame.
He was also cool, and it was okay to be a Deron fan. Now I think Mitchell is even better, and an even bigger star, but Deron was pretty awesome in his prime with us.
Too bad he didn't play a couple more years with us he could have had his number in the rafters for sure.

Bow to Sloan? What are you talking about? Sloan was the coach.

Bruh, if you think DWill is the prima donna in that situation.

Sloan was stuck in the past where coaches called 100% of the plays.

Agree. Sloan is and was great but the last few years he did not change and it hurt us. I don’t love how Deron went about his protest, but if he voiced concerns and wasn’t heard then what else can he do. Deron was prickly and stubborn but I’m not sure prima donna is accurate at all... you know who else was prickly and stubborn? It starts with a J and ends with an erry Sloan.

Listening to the podcast. I think Jerry was in the wrong. Dwill was just trying to show leadership. I think that Jerry had too much power on the team.

Bruh, if you think DWill is the prima donna in that situation.

Sloan was stuck in the past where coaches called 100% of the plays.

**** that. DWill thought he was Lebron or something. He was dealing with Jerry ****ing Sloan. He takes ***** bigger than DWill.

You know what's way easier than apologizing? Not doing stupid **** in the first place.

It may be Yom Kippur tomorrow, but I don't know if I believe in atonement. Or forgiveness. I'm also not sure what exactly Williams did her to deserve forgiveness. Words are cheap.
You act like he killed Sloan's dog, and burned his house down. Lol swear you DWill haters just kiss Sloan's *** because he coached here for 20+ years. He did nothing more than that. Imagine him still coaching to this day.. some of you wouldn't have a problem with that.

Deron ran plays that executed better than Sloans plays. That's why they had beef.

You act like he killed Sloan's dog, and burned his house down. Lol swear you DWill haters just kiss Sloan's *** because he coached here for 20+ years. He did nothing more than that. Imagine him still coaching to this day.. some of you wouldn't have a problem with that.

Deron ran plays that executed better than Sloans plays. That's why they had beef.

"Had beef"? You don't get it. Deron was not the coach. And "nothing more than that?" C'mon man.

To run the wrong play 21 times in a game is insubordination pure and simple. You try doing something wrong at work 21 times tomorrow and see how that works for you.

Well then, it was Boozer AND Deron.

Normally I wouldn’t trust your memory, but I know how much you enjoy (and probably download) vivid pictures taken from locker rooms. We’re right in your wheelhouse.

Touché.

I like to make a point of never agreeing with Cy, but Deron absolutely got thrown under the bus unfairly over Sloan quitting, because nobody wanted to hold Jerry responsible for being a quitter. Deron didn't do anything that a lot of other jazz players hadn't done. Sloan butted heads with many a player over the years and never tucked his tail and ran like he did with Deron.

The truth is Jerry was getting old and was IMO likely to be in the early stages of some of the health problems he's been diagnosed with since then. He just didn't have it in him anymore to handle coaching, which can be quite stressful.

Deron got a raw deal out of that whole mess and Jazz fans should be thanking him for not giving the team false hope about re-signing. We got a king's ransom for him at a time when his career was just starting to take a huge downturn.

Now if you want to talk about a low life scumbag, that one guy on the Celtics is worthy of every little bit of hate he gets from Jazz fans.

To run the wrong play 21 times in a game is insubordination pure and simple. You try doing something wrong at work 21 times tomorrow and see how that works for you.

But what about if you think your boss has not adapted quickly enough for outside observers' liking and he's old and you want to get a new boss?

Sloan butted heads with many a player over the years and never tucked his tail and ran like he did with Deron.

Because before 2009, Larry had his back. As you should as an owner of any sort of a business. You can't let the lunatics run the asylum. That's what the men in white coats with over-sized butterfly nets are for.

Bow to Sloan? What are you talking about? Sloan was the coach.

yes but he was not to be questioned. he acted liked a king sometimes. i think other coaches are a lot more approachable. hes just old school. its a different era now.

i think this conflict was bound to happen, and jerry would not be challenged.

sloan lover ;-)

I like to make a point of never agreeing with Cy, but Deron absolutely got thrown under the bus unfairly over Sloan quitting, because nobody wanted to hold Jerry responsible for being a quitter. Deron didn't do anything that a lot of other jazz players hadn't done. Sloan butted heads with many a player over the years and never tucked his tail and ran like he did with Deron.

The truth is Jerry was getting old and was IMO likely to be in the early stages of some of the health problems he's been diagnosed with since then. He just didn't have it in him anymore to handle coaching, which can be quite stressful.

Deron got a raw deal out of that whole mess and Jazz fans should be thanking him for not giving the team false hope about re-signing. We got a king's ransom for him at a time when his career was just starting to take a huge downturn.

Now if you want to talk about a low life scumbag, that one guy on the Celtics is worthy of every little bit of hate he gets from Jazz fans.

Good post.

But I think Deron threw himself under the bus. He leveraged the power of his position to outright challenge Sloan. When management chose to go easy on Deron what choice did Sloan have?

Good post.

But I think Deron threw himself under the bus. He leveraged the power of his position to outright challenge Sloan. When management chose to go easy on Deron what choice did Sloan have?
It’s just the situation. You’re not entirely wrong, but suspending a player over running different (probably better) plays would be completely unprecedented and showed where Sloan’s head was at (not in a place to be an NBA head coach).

I’m not absolving Deron of blame either, but I think his frustrations with the coaching are mostly on solid ground. The Jazz weren’t watching film for Christ’s sake, defiantly so, even though the players wanted to.

It’s a shame it ended how it did. But it did. So let’s treat it that way and move forward, especially since the actual parties are.

I’m not absolving Deron of blame either, but I think his frustrations with the coaching are mostly on solid ground. The Jazz weren’t watching film for Christ’s sake, defiantly so, even though the players wanted to.

And they won 53 games the year before and were on pace to win at least that many before the wheels fell off. Take a look at that roster again. Do you really think that by just replacing our Hall-of-****ing-fame coach, that team would win more? Francisco Elson was the back up center, for crying out loud. Okur played 13 games and was just a physically broken man. Al Jefferson's OBPM was 0.0 and his DBPM was 0.1. He was quite literally the most average player in the whole league, on both ends of the floor. Ronnie Price and Earl Watson were logging 30+ minutes combined. Paul Millsap was starting for the first time in his career and was still 4 years away from being an All-Star. Once again, that team was in 3rd in the West and 5th in the league in late January. And you figure our coach was over the hill and demented already? Again, what record do you think the Jazz would've had with the coach of your choice? It's easy to talk hypothetically and generally, but we're talking about specific things here. You make it sounds like the coach was driving the team into the ground and into the lottery. At that high water mark I keep bringing up, we were tied with OKC for 3rd. The OKC team that had Westbrook, Durant, and a young Harden already. The OKC team that would make the finals 15 months after Deron Williams ****ed this whole franchise up for a decade. And you figure an entitled piece-of-**** with a bum ankle was worth siding with over a coach with 1200+ wins who put everything he had into his work and this team? How many games total did he take off when his wife was dying?

If Jerry Sloan did not earn the right to coach his team the way he wanted to and to coach as long as he wanted to, I really don't know who did. I mean, my head is actually starting to hurt from trying to comprehend this idea that picking players over coaches is the way to run a franchise.