What's new

Williams, Sloan put the past where it belongs

Deron didn't do anything that a lot of other jazz players hadn't done.

Of course, none of this addresses what that quote was about, and what had happened in the 1-2 months leading up to this point as the relationship between Jerry and Deron deteriorated, when Deron was doing stuff like going above Jerry’s head to get practices canceled, and ownership and management wanting to protect Deron’s trade value so badly that they wouldn’t allow Jerry to take disciplinary measures.

https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/what-happened-that-night/

And they won 53 games the year before and were on pace to win at least that many before the wheels fell off. Take a look at that roster again. Do you really think that by just replacing our Hall-of-****ing-fame coach, that team would win more? Francisco Elson was the back up center, for crying out loud. Okur played 13 games and was just a physically broken man. Al Jefferson's OBPM was 0.0 and his DBPM was 0.1. He was quite literally the most average player in the whole league, on both ends of the floor. Ronnie Price and Earl Watson were logging 30+ minutes combined. Paul Millsap was starting for the first time in his career and was still 4 years away from being an All-Star. Once again, that team was in 3rd in the West and 5th in the league in late January. And you figure our coach was over the hill and demented already? Again, what record do you think the Jazz would've had with the coach of your choice? It's easy to talk hypothetically and generally, but we're talking about specific things here. You make it sounds like the coach was driving the team into the ground and into the lottery. At that high water mark I keep bringing up, we were tied with OKC for 3rd. The OKC team that had Westbrook, Durant, and a young Harden already. The OKC team that would make the finals 15 months after Deron Williams ****ed this whole franchise up for a decade. And you figure an entitled piece-of-**** with a bum ankle was worth siding with over a coach with 1200+ wins who put everything he had into his work and this team? How many games total did he take off when his wife was dying?

If Jerry Sloan did not earn the right to coach his team the way he wanted to and to coach as long as he wanted to, I really don't know who did. I mean, my head is actually starting to hurt from trying to comprehend this idea that picking players over coaches is the way to run a franchise.
I’m not picking anyone over anyone. This all-or-nothing/one-or-the-other thinking that seems to be becoming more prevalent needs to stop.

Anyway, I think I’m still most frustrated with what we know: what happened after the quitting and the trade.

-Why not go full rebuild? Or at least why keep Al Jefferson?
-Why not let Corbin coach as an actual interim, and do a proper search after that season instead of naming him head coach and giving him an immediate extension?

getting extremely mad that a guy who played basketball for a living and was pretty good at it had opinions about his job.

Anyway, I think I’m still most frustrated with what we know: what happened after the quitting and the trade.

-Why not go full rebuild? Or at least why keep Al Jefferson?
-Why not let Corbin coach as an actual interim, and do a proper search after that season instead of naming him head coach and giving him an immediate extension?
Phil Johnson quit too. It came down to Ty or Horny for the job.

My grandpa knew Sloan family back on the farm. Sloan was in the wrong here.I could see if it was 21 crucial plays,like the end of the game but come on players, and anyone who ever played at any level will tell you, need to flow with the game and setting up a play every single time from the bench is a thing of the past. From what I heard about the Sloan family is they are great people but very stubborn. Deron is a great guy too. I loved that 04/05 illini team!

I'm gonna say one last thing here.

There isn't a single Corbin year where the Jazz wouldn't have been better off with Sloan. So you can say he was old school, past his prime, whatever. He was Better than Corbin ever was and the Jazz would have been better with him than without him for years beyond his retirement.

Don't want to read the thread and be emotionally trolled into the Deron debate, so I'll just say this.
The guy was a monster when he was here. He made the Jazz a legit team for a little stretch there.
For a while, and ONLY while he was a Utah Jazz member, Deron was the BEST PG in the league. Imo
Loved his style.
I don't need to opine on his choices that led to the whole thing, he seems to have done that himself. That really is about all I can ask for at this point.
I am glad this is laid to rest and they took the time to do this so I can now look back fondly on both of these Jazz heros and not just one of them.

Anyone else think we dodged a bullet with Deron? He was never the same after his wrist injury with Utah. Then he had a history of other injuries and inconsistent play with the Nets after signing his big contract. He pudged up and never was healthy. Kind of like AK, although Kirilenko just stopped working to improve his game. But imagine had Utah spent all that cash on Williams. At least we got Favors out of the deal.