What's new

Wolves or Cavs? During Utah rebuild which team will you be rooting for?

Pick One

• Minnesota Timberwolves

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • Cleveland Cavaliers

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • None

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm rooting for Wolves vs Cavs 2023 and 2024 finals... then... both teams can bite the dust.

At the end of the day the players are the most important. I have a bias towards Jazz players, but it isn't without limit.

If Utah fielded a team I absolutely hated, I would not watch.
I watched Boston until the mid-90s, when that exact thing happened.

Minnesota Timberwolves​

D'Angelo Russell
Anthony Edwards
Jaden McDaniels
KAT
Rudy Gobert

Cleveland Cavaliers​

Darius Garland
Donovan Mitchell
Isaac Okoro
Evan Mobley
Jarrett Allen
You left out the both option. I mean I don’t intend to go out of my way but either of these teams are scheduled for national telecasts, I’ll circle it on my calendar and root for them. I kind of liked them and their rosters anyway. And yes, we hypothetically benefit in draft years if they lose - draft prospect outcomes particularly outside of the lottery are often a roll of the dice. Anyway my rooting for them won’t effect their performance one way or the other.

Last edited:
Depressing that Jazz seasons are gonna be back to being boring to watch for likely the next 3-5 years. That’s a long *** time.
I’m not a fan of “tanking” per se and take a little solace in the fact that even Tony Jones is not absolutely certain that the team is in tank mode due to composition. I mean even assuming we trade away the rest of last year’s core, Danny’s assembled an impressive collection of role players as well as scorers like Fontechio, THT, Beasley and Agbaji.

Also, and more importantly, Ainge”s track record as an executive with Boston points to quick turnarounds the two occasions they were in tank mode (the first for one year and the second for two years out of the playoffs). The first tank season was 2006-2007 with big Al and Pierce still on board. The following year they did a pick swap with Seattle and sent Szerbiak and Delonte West out for Ray Allen and Big Baby Davis; and in a separate deal with Minny gave up Big Al, Telfair, Ratclliff, filler and two firsts for Garnett. Then they just went out and won the Championship in 2007-2008.

So anyway there is precedent for a short turnaround as long as they don’t go draft pick crazy and start Willy nilly trading away promising prospects like Markkanen, Sexton, even Beasley and THT for a pig in a poke draft pick. we need to at least see what these players can bring to the Jazz before we trade them away for a raffle ticket IMO. If it’s my team, I’m holding off on Clarkson as well till I’m certain one of the newbies is capable of filling that 6th man role.

Last edited:
I won't root for either in general, and I won't really care about the Cavs for a few years. I loved what Donovan brought first years, haven't loved the end of his stay, but I still really appreciate all he brought.

I care about those picks, though, so for this season I hope Wolves have a lot of issues, injuries and all sorts of problems in the regular season, but get to the playoffs via playins, then go on to win it all (or everyone get injured, and we get the #1 pick from them, but I hardly think that will happen).

Both teams have really good starting lineups, but I'm sure about how good their depth is. Honestly, I would prefer to see Rudy win. However, I could see both teams being good for the next 2-3 years, but the chances of them keeping those cores together long-term may be difficult.

The very second the Rudy and Donovan deals were consummated, the Utah Jazz began having a vested interest in both teams failing. Short of wishing injury upon Rudy or Donovan, I hope just about everything that can go wrong does.

When Rudy was traded, I was a little surprised by some of the responses on here but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that over the past few years this site has added a lot of casual Jazz fans. I don’t mean that as an insult either. The idea of policing how fans choose to support their team seems completely lame to me.

That being said, I just can’t root for anything that might possibly effect the Jazz negatively and I also don’t understand the concept of having a 2nd favorite team.

Both teams have really good starting lineups, but I'm sure about how good their depth is. Honestly, I would prefer to see Rudy win. However, I could see both teams being good for the next 2-3 years, but the chances of them keeping those cores together long-term may be difficult.
Wolves have amazing depth.

The Cavs are the team without any quality wing players.

It's hard to see the Cavs ever being that bad again. Worst case scenario is they are like a late seed playoff team every year. Garland/Mobley is going to keep their heads above water for a while

It's hard to see the Cavs ever being that bad again. Worst case scenario is they are like a late seed playoff team every year. Garland/Mobley is going to keep their heads above water for a while
There’s a decent chance some **** will have gone down by 2029 such that they cough up a real good pick then, but those odds seem about the same as the Knicks coughing up a lottery pick in 2023.

IDK, feels like Ainge acted a little impulsively when that **** went down around RJ’s extension. RJ and two Knicks unprotected picks kinda blows this package out of the water with how I think things will play out from here. The Jazz just made the Cavs a legit force and they’re young.