What's new

Woman gets jail time for baptizing child

Those two most recent posts in this thread suck.
Let’s get back to the topic of masturbation

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Can't say I've ever understood the baptising of a person who can't comprehend what's going on/make the decision for themselves.

With that said, the wife still pulled a dick move. She did it to spite her husband.

Can't say I've ever understood the baptising of a person who can't comprehend what's going on/make the decision for themselves.

With that said, the wife still pulled a dick move. She did it to spite her husband.
And if the husband is upset with this, then he didn't deserve to be the one to baptize his child. Because it shouldn't be about him.

So you're okay with her breaking the law?
Of course not. Court orders are to be met.

But a baptism is one of the greatest events of a Christian's life. The fact that two parents are at a tug of war over what they both want for the child, just shows how selfish they each are. And selfishness is about the polar opposite of what baptism is supposed to represent.

You mean circumcision is supposed to discourage masturbation?
"It is true, however, that the longer it takes to have an orgasm, the less frequently it will be attempted"
Guess Mr. Spratling never anticipated some males would have too much time on their hands (pun intended) or invent the practice of edging.

Exactly. I believe baptism should be done when a person is able to make a responsible decision. For that reason, I don't even think the age of 8 represents an age where children can comprehend. If someone can't drink or have sex until they're 16/18/21, then baptism shouldn't be allowed until that person is deemed to be an adult.

But what the hell, Mormons baptize people who are dead. So consent is not really an issue. Government ought to step in, IMO, and pass a law preventing baptisms of dead people.

But a baptism is one of the greatest events of a Christian's life. The fact that two parents are at a tug of war over what they both want for the child, just shows how selfish they each are. And selfishness is about the polar opposite of what baptism is supposed to represent.

And the mother did it in such a way that the child's father was absent for, yet you seem to be placing blame on the father for some reason.

Circumcision predates the Abrahamic religions by who knows how long. I assume it was, at least in part, to prevent infections in a region that lacks water and is quite sandy. It never really took off among Christians, and almost all of Europe and South America do not circumcise (Christian cultures). It is a practice that often arises in dry places, like with the Australian aborigines.

Well if you're talking about being fed to Lions I probably wouldn't be up for that. (I'd happily watch someone else be fed to Lions mind you, be a top night out, I imagine the betting market would be heavily skewed in the Lions favour.) But overall nobody knows how to persecute people like Christians do, especially after they got their hand on the whip, mind you as Primo Levi observes, it is a universal law of humanity that the powerful will always oppress the powerless.

True but this power struggle between the parents doesn't hurt the child directly. Funny how this baptism is more about the parents than it is about their kid.

I disagree. Now any single act is minuscule and likely unimportant. However the atmosphere and emotions it creates directly impact the child.

I dealt with it as one of those kids. Haven’t talked to my “father” since I was 16.

I think the judge is full of himself to order something like that, effectively discriminating against the mother for no good reason except he thinks he has the power. He's violating mothers' rights. There's nothing in the Constitution that gives courts this kind of power.

I really hate our Courts with their notions of "Administrative Law" trampling on individual rights.

Clearly, with two parents so obsessed with power and control and so little concern for the child, both believing as Catholics do in regard to the fate of the unbaptized, the best thing is a neutral arbiter.... of their choosing.... not the guvmint. In old days, it would have been a Priest exercising peacemaking reconciliatory admonitions.

Absolutely not the business of guvmint.

Exactly. I believe baptism should be done when a person is able to make a responsible decision. For that reason, I don't even think the age of 8 represents an age where children can comprehend. If someone can't drink or have sex until they're 16/18/21, then baptism shouldn't be allowed until that person is deemed to be an adult.

But what the hell, Mormons baptize people who are dead. So consent is not really an issue. Government ought to step in, IMO, and pass a law preventing baptisms of dead people.

Coming from an LDS view of things..... one positive is the doctrine that it means nothing unless the person so served vicariously chooses to accept it. In this respect, Mormons essentially agree with your basic sentiment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion" in the US Constitution applies only to the Federal guvmint, but many states have adopted similar provisions in their State Code which do apply to all entities under that State law.

My girls were baptized yesterday, almost age 16, along with their mom. I was opposed to the idea on some considerations, but did not think this was about me or what I thought. It's their choice. I can't explain the whole story, even in one of my JFC novelettes. The Bishop and others asked if I had objections, but I did not think it was their decision, either, and declined to elaborate on my specifics, and instead expressed support for their decision.

Great to have kids, and a wife, who can listen to my reasons, smile, and do what they really want to do.

Makes me happy to know that I'm not ruining somebody else's life. Makes me happy to see that I've indeed taught responsibility and courage in making one's own decisions.

I did participate in the event. Kinda amazing how many people showed up to show support.

If any of these had died before being baptized, I would have made sure they had valid ordinances performed vicariously, available for them to accept anytime they saw the need.

If any of these had died before being baptized, I would have made sure they had valid ordinances performed vicariously, available for them to accept anytime they saw the need.
OK, but 1) It is YOUR belief that a) baptism is necessary and b) that it has to be done vicariously for it to be valid. If there is a God, doesn't he make the rules? It's just downright silly that I would need someone else to be a stand in for me for a baptism, marriage, etc. It's symbolic; there's nothing magic about being immersed or sprinkled with water. So whether I'm a spirit, resurrected, etc., I should be the one accepting and undergoing that symbolic ordinance, not some stranger.

And as to your argument about the LDS religion baptizing dead people, that practice can be highly offensive to living relatives. The LDS have a tradition of offending and not caring about living relatives. Besides, please explain why baptisms for the dead are even necessary? God makes the rules. There is nothing but symbolism behind it. You know the real reason behind temple ordinances? It's to keep the sheeple in line. Without baptisms and sealings for the dead, temples would only be used for marriages.

Because the LDS look down on those without temple recommends (oh, that person must be a sinner if he isn't worthy or doesn't go to the temple). LDS leaders expound upon the importance of the temple. Why? Control. In order to go to the temple, you have to proclaim your unwavering allegiance to the prophet and his cronies (a bunch of old white guys). You have to be a full tithe payer and fund those old white guys and their fancy temples with 10% of your money. Hell, the LDS Church even wants you to be an unpaid, part time janitor, despite being flush with cash. Stop building temples and put every dollar behind making this world a better place. Yes, the LDS Church contributes a lot to charities. But they could and should do even more, which they could if they weren't spending hundreds of millions on temples.

It makes me sick to see churches putting up ornate buildings (and I feel the same way when I've traveled in Europe and seen the Catholic monstrosities), knowing those churches have been built upon the backs of many poor people, and in light of billions starving around the globe. But the doctrine, even if you can't even pay your bills, is to give 10% FIRST to the Church. Just tighten your belt and you'll be blessed. Yep, meanwhile the leaders of the church - in what for many years was touted as a "lay ministry" - all enjoy hefty salaries and expense accounts. The LDS Church is corrupt.

And the mother did it in such a way that the child's father was absent for, yet you seem to be placing blame on the father for some reason.

These two parents are both at fault, over something that they both agreed was the reliious direction they wanted their child to go. They made the baptism more about themselves than for the baptized.

You mean circumcision is supposed to discourage masturbation?
"It is true, however, that the longer it takes to have an orgasm, the less frequently it will be attempted"
Guess Mr. Spratling never anticipated some males would have too much time on their hands (pun intended) or invent the practice of edging.

Practice of edging?