What's new

World Cup 2023

The"world cup" where tier two level players complete to consider themselves the second best country... Lol.
So nobody competes for being the best? Last I checked USA was 7th best in the previous World Cup. Hurraah, I guess.

Somebody should also immediatly inform Jokic, Luka, Giannis et al they are tier two players.

It never ceases to amaze me how little pride people from USA have for their own country. Even in Canada people fight for the right to present their country, not to mention Europe, Australia and the rest of the world. But in USA? Nope, its more important to get to the beach than represent your country. You can bet your butt Jokic would immediatly trade his NBA title for the World Cup title, but I guess that is something you would expect for a tier two player.

So nobody competes for being the best? Last I checked USA was 7th best in the previous World Cup. Hurraah, I guess.

Somebody should also immediatly inform Jokic, Luka, Giannis et al they are tier two players.

It never ceases to amaze me how little pride people from USA have for their own country. Even in Canada people fight for the right to present their country, not to mention Europe, Australia and the rest of the world. But in USA? Nope, its more important to get to the beach than represent your country. You can bet your butt Jokic would immediatly trade his NBA title for the World Cup title, but I guess that is something you would expect for a tier two player.
USA was 7th last with their tier 3/4 players. Yes, some tier 1 players compete in this. But still a lot of the best players do not compete in this. There is almost nobody who is an elite player that does not play in the NBA though.

Plenty of people in the USA take pride in representing their country in many sports. There is a reason USA produces a lot of gold medals. But basketballs top level is the NBA and one of the sports USA is best at. It does not make a lot of sense for people to risk injuries and other things to compete for lower accolades for an event no one really cares about in the USA. Most players care more about the Olympics over this but its still in a similar boat with basketball. There is no lack of USA pride. Personally I think they have far too much. Players are not in a rush to get to the beach and be lazy, most of those guys train pretty hard.

Jokic might give up his NBA title, but thats crazy. He certainly wouldnt give up his money from the NBA to focus on winning the World cup. NBA champions are definitely better known around the world than any world cup winners. People might know one or two players on a world cup team because they play in the NBA, besides from your own country/region.

Jokic might give up his NBA title, but thats crazy. He certainly wouldnt give up his money from the NBA to focus on winning the World cup. NBA champions are definitely better known around the world than any world cup winners. People might know one or two players on a world cup team because they play in the NBA, besides from your own country/region.
Why would he give up the money? He went to work to earn the money. Playing in NBA is his job, where he gets his money from. Representing and fighting his country, his family and friends, has nothing to do with where he works.

Also, I bet about 5 billion people on Earth can't name a single NBA player and his team (they might be able to say "that player is in the NBA, right?" but no chance to know for what team), but it is pretty damn sure most of them can name the people representing their country. Just because people in USA have no pride for their country does not mean the majority of the people in the world would be similar hillbillies.

Why would he give up the money? He went to work to earn the money. Playing in NBA is his job, where he gets his money from. Representing and fighting his country, his family and friends, has nothing to do with where he works.

Also, I bet about 5 billion people on Earth can't name a single NBA player and his team (they might be able to say "that player is in the NBA, right?" but no chance to know for what team), but it is pretty damn sure most of them can name the people representing their country. Just because people in USA have no pride for their country does not mean the majority of the people in the world would be similar hillbillies.
I think I struck a nerve on something you are pretty sensitive about enough to start name calling a whole country, lol. You are probably the first person I have ever heard say USA doesnt have pride in its country. Usually people say the opposite, but to each their own.

The second part is just wrong. A ton of people in the world can tell you Lebron or Steph and the team. NBA is very popular around the world, especially in China which has a decent population. Lebron James is one of the top 5 most well known players of any sport in the world and playing for the most well known NBA team. Even in Finland I bet more people know Lebron and that he plays for the Lakers than the names of your top 5 players for the world cup.

Good Luck in Worlds though. I know its important to you. Plus, depite the fact I prefer Lauri not play in it but now that he is ill cheer for him and hope he does well. Might even watch a game or two.

The second part is just wrong. A ton of people in the world can tell you Lebron or Steph and the team. NBA is very popular around the world, especially in China which has a decent population.
Wow, talk about a narrow world-view :D I can guarantee you only a small miniscule minority of people in China can name what team LeBron or Steph play in; sure, many will know they are basketball players, some may know they play in the NBA, but to actually know what team they play? LOL. But you can be absolutely sure almost a billion chinese are currently debating who the 12 in the World Cup Team China should be, and why this or that player didn't even get an invite to the extended list. Basketball is big in China, but less than one percent of chinese actually follow NBA (yes, millions of chinese follow NBA, but still, that is less than one percent of chinese).

As I said, most people in the world take pride in representing their country. I have figured it out over the decades that is not so in USA, which doesn't cease to baffle me.

I for one will enjoy watching the World Cup. Seeing those second rate players like Joker or Doncic or KAT or Wemby etc fight and represent their country with pride is something that just do tick my nerves :)

Wow, talk about a narrow world-view :D I can guarantee you only a small miniscule minority of people in China can name what team LeBron or Steph play in; sure, many will know they are basketball players, some may know they play in the NBA, but to actually know what team they play? LOL. But you can be absolutely sure almost a billion chinese are currently debating who the 12 in the World Cup Team China should be, and why this or that player didn't even get an invite to the extended list. Basketball is big in China, but less than one percent of chinese actually follow NBA (yes, millions of chinese follow NBA, but still, that is less than one percent of chinese).

As I said, most people in the world take pride in representing their country. I have figured it out over the decades that is not so in USA, which doesn't cease to baffle me.

I for one will enjoy watching the World Cup. Seeing those second rate players like Joker or Doncic or KAT or Wemby etc fight and represent their country with pride is something that just do tick my nerves :)
Your guarantee done seem worth much. It is estimated that about 500 million in China watched some NBA games this year according to reports I saw on my Chinese social media from China's media after the season ended. It seems NBA has recovered from its slump a couple years ago, even though it stayed pretty popular. My phone blew up with texts from all my Chinese friends and co-workers about the finals despite me not watching since I didnt care much about either team and the games were played in the middle of the night were I live. China loves the Soccer world cup but there is very little attention to basketball world cup, they are huge NBA fans. When soccer world cup is on every bar in the country puts it on and its packed. When its basketball you have to try real hard to find it anywhere. The average person can only name a few famous players like Lebron or Chinese players that made it to the NBA. No one except hardcore basketball fans know anyone on the national team. The next far far distant basketball events in China is their own CBA, but that is not even close. They are a bigger part of the NBA than USA. I dont think many people in China knew anything about Denver or Jokic until the finals this year, but I am sure when I am back in China in August to run sports performance camps and other things I will see his Jerseys everywhere.

You also seem to think basketball is the only sport. USA loves themselves too much and has lots of interest in representing themselves in the Olympics and other events, just not this one. Sorry, that hurts your feelings so much, its not personal to you. We just have a better product with stronger affiliation for the teams in the NBA. Even college bb is more popular than this.

I am glad you enjoy the world cup, I hope its a fun one for you to watch. I hope it ticks your nerves real good, if that is a good thing.

I think USA with the roster they will have will still be able to win it. Lot of talented players and they will be tough to beat.

Your guarantee done seem worth much. It is estimated that about 500 million in China watched some NBA games this year according to reports I saw on my Chinese social media from China's media after the season ended.
500 million is quite a bit more than what the official records of NBA China show, by a magnitude of 14. Last time more than 200 million watched at least one NBA match during the season was in 2017-2018 when Zhou Qi played with Houston. During season 2022-2023 514 million people did watch at least one of the CBA finals between Flying Leopards and Golden Bulls, so maybe there is some confusion of NBA and basketball in general?

Last time more than 200 million watched at least one NBA match during the season was in 2017-2018
Wow, I can guarantee you only a small miniscule minority of people in China can name what team LeBron or Steph play in; s Basketball is big in China, but less than one percent of chinese actually follow NBA
So your guarantee still stands? Your guarantee was just proven by yourself to be way way way off.

First two articles I googled show 500 million from both SI and The Athletic. Even just glancing at wiki that quotes 3 different sources that each say NBA is the most popular sports league in China. I would be very interested to see the source for that CBA number. China lists their number is 10,000s so often the translation is very off. Tencent is the main app to watch these games on. I am looking and they have not released any info about viewership this year, but maybe I am just not seeing it. Ill text some friends that work there and see if I can get it. I will admit the CBA viewership numbers might be higher than I think since the games air on the main state sports cctv channel that is the only tv channels you can watch. That will also boost the numbers for NBA. Every tv in the entire country has CCTV on although there a bunch of channels, but a main one for sports. NBA watching has two options of the app Tencent and for popular games CCTV so viewership would be those combined. Which I dont see properly listed on any english website.

I also just see now that NBA is reporting today that they had a record 8 billion views across social media of the NBA finals, which is a record. Which I safely assume is cumulative. It is also reporting that Jokic popularity has sky rocketed due to this. He is now the #1 watched player where last year he was no 18. He just made himself a boat load of money in sponsorships worldwide and household name. Something that world cup would never do for him. His social media jumped to 540 million views.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/...ted China,between seasons to promote sneakers. (more fans of NBA than population of USA)

Edit: my friend responded that 3x more people watched the NBA finals live than the CBA finals this year. 1500 wan vs less than 500 wan. Which is 3X more people watching live than USA. He did not have the numbers for people watching later. But its safe to say that is pretty high based on the time it airs.

I really wish Lauri wasn't playing in this. The injury risk and the extra wear and tear he'll carry into the season for basically pointless games worries me.
Agreed.

I really wish Lauri wasn't playing in this. The injury risk and the extra wear and tear he'll carry into the season for basically pointless games worries me.
Completely disagree. Barring some draft miracle the Jazz will probably suck next season. These are very meaningful games for players outside the US and this is another opportunity for Lauri to get more experience as “the man” under real pressure.

Sure helped him last offseason

Goran Dragic won't play for Slovenia in World Cup, says he is too tired. That is a massive blow for Slovenia, as the past years he was together with Luka the reason Slovenia did so well in the competitions (Olympics 2021, Eurobasket 2022).

Last I saw I thought he was dead

Maybe it's because the NBA games are played here every year. Those games for us are the most important in the world. Obviously the rest of the world doesn't see it the same way.

Or perhaps we are a bunch of arrogant jerks who are not interested in the rest of the world and don't care about these games. Unfortunately, this is true for many of us. The TV ratings will be much higher for NBA games than World Cup games.

Maybe it's because the NBA games are played here every year. Those games for us are the most important in the world. Obviously the rest of the world doesn't see it the same way.

Or perhaps we are a bunch of arrogant jerks who are not interested in the rest of the world and don't care about these games. Unfortunately, this is true for many of us. The TV ratings will be much higher for NBA games than World Cup games.

it's just a cultural thing. Kids in the US grow up watching NBA year round. Here until more recent years we didn't get much coverage so for us and Europeans the World Champs and Olympics were our pinnacle

Got my ticket for 3 games in Jakarta, 2 for France ( Go Rudy), It's insane to think that 3 good tickets games+ ticket Bangkok-Jakarta + 3 night in 5 star hotel cost less that one single game in Adu dhabi for pre-season games ( Minny- Dallas) without hotel and plane...., i was hesitating as i wanted to see Mike but my choice was easy to make.