What's new

Would Hayward take less than the max?

margodydek

A lot of the talk about the Spurs dominance in wake of Duncan's retirement has been how Duncan routinely took less $ to allow the Spurs to continually surround him with adequate talent. Granted he's made the 3rd most amount of on-court money in league history and the Spurs were legit contenders for the past two decades, but just wondering if Hayward is the type of guy to give the home team a discount if he sees that we can maintain legitimacy for the next several years.

Nope. He's gonna get all the money from the Jazz that he wants, and deserves.

And honestly, Jazz should have just maxed him out and written the terms of his contract themselves instead of letting MJ and the Whorenets create the current contract that allows G-Unit to opt out next season.

But when you let the market dictate your player's worth, you also let the market dictate your player's contract.

Duncan also won a championship in his 2nd year, so it's not like he was taking a paycut to be on a team with outside shots at winning championships. Maybe if we show we can be a contender this year, like taking the Warriors to a 6 game series, he would be convinced enough to take less than the max.

I don't think Hayward will take less than the max for the "good of the team" and allowing the Jazz to re-sign other key players. He's a financially shrewed and saavy person. I'm sure Hayward and his agent saw how D-wade got screwed by Miami (continually signing deals less than market value in order for the Heat to form the big 3). Money talks, bull **** walks...

I sure as hell hope so but I highly doubt it. Maybe on his next contract once we've (hopefully) established ourselves as legitimate contenders.

Yeah I agree with these comments, he's 100% a max player. He'll get the $ here or elsewhere, and I don't see much incentive for him to take the hometown discount to stay put. I don't think we're a true contender this year or next.

I would bet he takes less than the full max from the Jazz but more than any other teams max offer. Kind of like DeRozan took.

I would bet he takes less than the full max from the Jazz but more than any other teams max offer. Kind of like DeRozan took.

This is what I'm hoping for. The DeRozan deal should be a good starting point for the Jazz negotiations. I'm hoping they don't trade him or try to lowball him when it gets down to crunch time.

He could send a strong leadership and confidence signal to his teammates by signing at a discount. If it resulted in a championship (or even a legit contender) he might more than make up for any loss in endorsements (I wonder what KD's endorsement income is). Realistically, though, past experience suggests that Hayward will demand the max. Favors is more likely to eventually give us a discount.

I think agents and their priorities/incentives come into play a lot with these deals, but I honestly think that if I were a "max player" that I'd really rather take a $90M deal than a $120M deal to allow the team to remain competitive. I'm sure Melo has said countless times how much he "cares about winning" and wants "nothing more than to win a championship", but he single handedly gutted that team with his trade request and the team has been in "repair mode" ever since. Just be honest Melo, you wanted to live in NYC and make a buttload of money. Maybe when it came down to it, I'd cave and grab the money, but I really like to think that I'd be fine leaving money on the table to help the team.

Now in order for me to take less money I would have to have full confidence in the front office and ownership to make the right moves and put the team in the best possible place to win over multiple years. I think there are 4-5 teams in the entire league that I'd trust with that and the Jazz are right on the fence as one of those franchises.

Yeah I agree with these comments, he's 100% a max player. He'll get the $ here or elsewhere, and I don't see much incentive for him to take the hometown discount to stay put. I don't think we're a true contender this year or next.

He is not max money. There are 30 all stars. Hayward has not made one game. Hayward has not proved to shoulder the load. Hayward cannot close out games. Hayward is inconsistent.

Hayward will take less than max an unfortunately he will probs pick his team. Does Boston have cap next summer?

He is not max money. There are 30 all stars. Hayward has not made one game. Hayward has not proved to shoulder the load. Hayward cannot close out games. Hayward is inconsistent.

Hayward will take less than max an unfortunately he will probs pick his team. Does Boston have cap next summer?

He is max money. My god Chandler Parsons got max money by avg'ing about 14-15 points for dallas. +injuries.
Mike conley got max money. Unproven Harrison Barnes got max money by basicly taking corner 3's and 11 ppg regular season and a horrible playoff performance.
He's not a "go ahead and max him asap" type of player but he certainly deserves max at this point, after seeing all those new contracts.

He is max money. My god Chandler Parsons got max money by avg'ing about 14-15 points for dallas. +injuries.
Mike conley got max money. Unproven Harrison Barnes got max money by basicly taking corner 3's and 11 ppg regular season and a horrible playoff performance.
He's not a "go ahead and max him asap" type of player but he certainly deserves max at this point, after seeing all those new contracts.

All max contracts are not created equal. Hayward will not max. End of story.

Yep, Parsons, Conley and Barnes got max money... but that is because some GMs are just stupid. Better yet, too smart for their own good. They have to show the management and the fan base that they are taking a proactive approach in making the team better and completely unjustifiable deals like those are the result. It is probable that no team having Parsons, Conley or Barnes as a max player will ever go deep into the playoffs. And I say that being a fan of Parsons and Conley. Both are good players, IMO, but they are not worth the max. Same with Hayward.

He got max money for what he can do when he is healthy. Parsons averaged 18-6-4 post-all star.

At this point in his career, probably not. However, I think there is a small chance he would be motivated to do so, to keep the team together. I mean, he has two kids now, and we're talking about the guy who bought a Honda Accord with his first NBA contract, because he finally didn't have to share the minivan with his sister.