What's new

Would the Jazz even be in the playoff hunt if Deron hadn't left us 31-26?

BIG-AL25

I have to think this team as currently constructed isn't really even a contender for the 8th seed if Deron hadn't helped get us to 31-26 before he was traded. We're 5-7 since the All-Star break. 6 out of the 12 games (exactly half) since the break have been against above 500 teams and we've only beat 1, Philadelphia. Even with a top 5 pick next year is set to look even more bleek than this season and I'm not sure we're even in the playoff discussion next year.

We will be really good next year. Harris, CJ, Hayward, Big AL, Milsap plus a #1-12 pick plus money to go get a decent free agent or two once AK is off the books. We will also find out if Okur is retiring or if he can come back and give us mins off the bench. Favors will be 20 next year and with the extra experance plus the full time NBA level coaching will improve a ton. That is a pretty solid core group of guys. The big test will be finding consistant 2 guard in free agency. I think we will keep Watson around, we will be stuck with Bell, Evans will be back and hopefully roided up with 20 Pounds of new muscle. That is a very young but very talanted team.

Of course everything hindges on the LOCKOUT.

We will be really good next year. Harris, CJ, Hayward, Big AL, Milsap plus a #1-12 pick plus money to go get a decent free agent or two once AK is off the books. We will also find out if Okur is retiring or if he can come back and give us mins off the bench. Favors will be 20 next year and with the extra experance plus the full time NBA level coaching will improve a ton. That is a pretty solid core group of guys. The big test will be finding consistant 2 guard in free agency. I think we will keep Watson around, we will be stuck with Bell, Evans will be back and hopefully roided up with 20 Pounds of new muscle. That is a very young but very talanted team.

Even with Ak coming off the books we still wouldn't have money to spend thanks to Memo's contract. Plus I think The Jazz will try to sign Ak for 6 to 8 million. If Memo were to retire after this year, does his contract come off the books, or do we still owe him the rest of the contract?

This team has potential. A full training camp under Corbin with all the new guys will do wonders. If Favors and Hayward both improve and we get a starter with the Nets pick, we have a very good team IMO.

This team has potential. A full training camp under Corbin with all the new guys will do wonders. If Favors and Hayward both improve and we get a starter with the Nets pick, we have a very good team IIRC.

Just had to make a quick lil fix there.

Even with a top 5 pick next year is set to look even more bleek than this season and I'm not sure we're even in the playoff discussion next year.

....where have you been, the Antarctic? There isn't even going to BE a next year! The NBA strike/lockout is going to make the NFL strike/lockout look like kid's play!

If Okur can't come back, the Jazz might be able to get an injury exception - just depends on the new CBA. Assuming the Jazz don't make the playoffs, I don't see Utah keeping both lottery picks. My guess is that KOC has already started working on a deal, similar to what he did with Jefferson. But the Jazz won't have the assets to complete a trade until after the lottery picks are determined.

Jefferson-Favors-???-CJ-Harris with Millsap and Hayward off the bench is a decent start. With three lottery picks (including GS' 2012), Utah needs to get a stud wing and a quality backup big. Very doable.

The Jazz won just 1 game after Sloan left for the rest of February. Obviously Deron leaving had an impact but let's not pretend that was the only change in Utah. Hell it probably wasn't even the biggest.

Hell, I don't even care all that much. I like this team now as much as I've like a Jazz team since Stockton/Malone/Hornacek.

I like Jefferson way more than I liked Boozer.
I like Harris more than I liked D-Will. I loved to WATCH D-Will play. When he was on his game he was unquestionably the best PG in the league. But the pissy attitude was wearing thin on me even before this season.
It's no secret I have a huge man crush on Favors ever since before he was in Jazz uniform. I thought it was Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving and New Years all rolled into one when The Jazz landed this kid
I've grown to like Hayward. He clearly has a basketball IQ beyond his years. I don't know where he end up; but I think he'll definitely fall somewhere between a solid role player and a legit starter in this league.
What's not to like about Millsap? Even if he is really a 6th man instead of a starting 4.
And, warts and all, I still love to watch AK play when his head is on straight.

Hell, I don't even care all that much. I like this team now as much as I've like a Jazz team since Stockton/Malone/Hornacek.

I like Jefferson way more than I liked Boozer.
I like Harris more than I liked D-Will. I loved to WATCH D-Will play. When he was on his game he was unquestionably the best PG in the league. But the pissy attitude was wearing thin on me even before this season.
It's no secret I have a huge man crush on Favors ever since before he was in Jazz uniform. I thought it was Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving and New Years all rolled into one when The Jazz landed this kid
I've grown to like Hayward. He clearly has a basketball IQ beyond his years. I don't know where he end up; but I think he'll definitely fall somewhere between a solid role player and a legit starter in this league.
What's not to like about Millsap? Even if he is really a 6th man instead of a starting 4.
And, warts and all, I still love to watch AK play when his head is on straight.

I agree. This team's future potential makes this team more fun to follow than any team since the finals years.

I agree. This team's future potential makes this team more fun to follow than any team since the finals years.

Well, I really enjoyed the year the Jazz were picked to finish with the worst record EVER and damn near made the playoffs. That was a fun season.

I like that Corbin isn't afraid to bench unproductive vets and try different line-ups.
I like Jefferson stepping up and taking over the scoring load.
I like Favors' potential. And to a lesser extent, Hayward's.
I like the nessage the Jazz sent to the players in the league by trading Deron. Here's hoping the new CBA does something to take away some power from the players and allows teams to keep stars instead of being held hostage as they come up on free agency.

Most of all, I like the fact the Jazz will likely have three lottery picks in the next two years and $28M coming off their books. Manage those assets wisely and KOC will have once again completely rebuilt the team after losing two superstars, all while still remaining competitive.

Actually I thought D-will slugged around for part of the season. Especially his crap first quarter efforts. I like DWill, but overall I am not sure he really helped much after the first few weeks.

I think its a bit of kool-aid talking to say we will have a very good team, but I can see us being a solid team that sneaks in to the playoffs with a 6-8 seed.

Our season next year comes down to 5 main points

1.) Memo's health
2.) Favors' and Hayward's improvement
3.) Net's pick contribution
4.) Full integration of Corbin's philosphy
5.) Someone taking a leadership role on the team

The Jazz will have some talent next year but their success is going way heavily on whether Corbin can mesh the players and have them play with a purpose.

I think its a bit of kool-aid talking to say we will have a very good team, but I can see us being a solid team that sneaks in to the playoffs with a 6-8 seed.

Our season next year comes down to 5 main points

1.) Memo's health
2.) Favors' and Hayward's improvement
3.) Net's pick contribution
4.) Full integration of Corbin's philosphy
5.) Someone taking a leadership role on the team

Good call.

Well, I really enjoyed the year the Jazz were picked to finish with the worst record EVER and damn near made the playoffs. That was a fun season.

I like that Corbin isn't afraid to bench unproductive vets and try different line-ups.
I like Jefferson stepping up and taking over the scoring load.
I like Favors' potential. And to a lesser extent, Hayward's.
I like the nessage the Jazz sent to the players in the league by trading Deron. Here's hoping the new CBA does something to take away some power from the players and allows teams to keep stars instead of being held hostage as they come up on free agency.

Most of all, I like the fact the Jazz will likely have three lottery picks in the next two years and $28M coming off their books. Manage those assets wisely and KOC will have once again completely rebuilt the team after losing two superstars, all while still remaining competitive.

Good point. That was probably the best year to follow the Jazz outside of the finals years.