What's new

Yahoo article on Deron Williams and the Jazz

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag25FRF3j9MqykG5YjHta1u8vLYF?slug=mc-williamsjazz102110

I like the sound of this:
“I just want to win,” Williams said. “My team has been winning, for the most part. Last year we got eliminated early, but we just got to get better. We got some pieces to do that. I’m happy right now.

“I’m under contract. I honor that contract, respect that contract and just play basketball. I’m never going to say never. [But] I don’t see that happening.”

For some reason that article makes me less optimistic D-will will stay with the Jazz til the end of days. Strange huh

I take Deron completely at his word. He has always seemed to by the loyal type, and he seems to form close bonds with the people he's around (unless they give him reason not to, like Boozer). That's probably the main reason he was upset when Brewer was traded.

He's a multi-millionaire and doesn't need more money (not that any other team could give him more to begin with). Although he likes recognition for his abilities, personal fame or glory has never seemed to be the primary thing that motivates him. It is, indeed, winning, as a team, not just "winning" a trip to the all-star game.

Deron could easily have been the top scorer on his (very good) college team, but he knew that wasn't the best contribution he could make. Others could also score, they needed his play-making ability more than his scoring.

Others, like Dee Brown and Luther Head, on his team made first or second team all-american while Deron made third. When his coach checked to make sure he wasn't discouraged, he said: "Naw, it's all good, coach. Those guys have better numbers than I do, and I completely understand why the writer's vote the way they do. We're winning, that's all I care about."

Same thing on his high school team, where he made Bracy Wright look like a super-star while drawing relatively little recognition to himself. This team needs him to be a serious scoring threat to be effective, so he gives that, but if he thought they woud win more without him scoring much, he wouldn't (unless "ordered" to).

And with so much added talent to the Jazz this season, he has even less need to be a scorer now. And with Watson's arrival, he should be able to get whatever rest he needs without the 2nd unit dragging us down. Wanna be fresh when it comes playoff time... We all know he can score when needed; nice "X" factor to have on our side, me thinks...

....don't kid yourself, Deron will follow the money, which won't be all that much with the new collective bargaining agreement after the lockout! But the Jazz could be his team...simply because he's the "man" here and always will be, plus the Jazz could be contenders for years to come! Lakers are getting old, Spurs are old....and nobody circles the wagons like the Jazz!!!

maybe im just being a fan

but I seriously feel and think we have a shot at being a contender this year with a little luck of course :)

I take Deron completely at his word. He has always seemed to by the loyal type, and he seems to form close bonds with the people he's around (unless they give him reason not to, like Boozer). That's probably the main reason he was upset when Brewer was traded.

For some reason I agree with that too. I also really think AK would take a pay cut next season to stay with the Jazz. Maybe I'm just too optimistic.

I'm pretty sure Deron will stay in Utah for the money.

No need to worry that he might leave for less money and a higher profile team.

Thank God that rarely happens anymore.

Deron Williams got to look out for Deron Williams.

Does he like rain???

IMO there's very little chance Deron opts out, meaning he'll be in Utah for atleast 3 more seasons. If the Williams/Jefferson teams have more success than the Williams/Boozer teams (48-54 wins) and at the very least are knocking on the door of a championship (WCF), I think Deron will definitely stay if Utah offers him a max-contract (which will be for alot less than max-contracts are presently).

The only things that I think could throw a wrench into things (besides an uncharacteristic swing of losses) would be a new coach who completely changes the system and the fact that Al Jefferson's contract expires at the same time Deron's could should he not opt-out. No idea what the new CBA will be but it's not easy when your 2 (hopefully Al will be) franchise players are FA's in the same offseason.

For you worried bitches "Dwill wont follow the pack"

Here is a blog from NBA.com with the dude saying that Dwill and the Jazz future are bright. Yeah...may not mean much, but IMHO D Will has it made here. His personality was not made for the bright lights.

https://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Don’t expect Utah’s Deron Williams to join the superstar exodus that started with the Free Agent Summer of 2010 and is still going on today.

The Jazz All-Star is yet another of the high-profile young stars in the league facing some important decisions about his future — does he stick around with the Jazz or join the movement in search of a super team or bigger market elsewhere?

Unlike fellow stars Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony, Williams won’t have to see his name dragged through the rumor mill mud in regards to what he’ll do when he runs into free agency after the 2011-12 season. (A new collective bargaining agreement will potentially have plenty to say about that anyway.)

For Jazz fans worried that Williams will follow the lead of LeBron James and Chris Bosh, you should relax (for now). Williams told my main man Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports that his priorities are in order and that the Jazz have done what every superstar needs his team to do in order to stay in the championship chase:

“I just want to win,” Williams said. “My team has been winning, for the most part. Last year we got eliminated early, but we just got to get better. We got some pieces to do that. I’m happy right now.

“I’m under contract. I honor that contract, respect that contract and just play basketball. I’m never going to say never. [But] I don’t see that happening.”

Williams already has the ideal sidekick to roll with for the foreseeable future in Al Jefferson, one of the league’s best young post players. Jerry Sloan won’t coach forever, though he’s doing a mean Joe Paterno these days, but the structure to compete and contend in a Western Conference that could experience some dramatic turnover in the next few years (with the Lakers, Spurs and Mavericks all boasting older rosters than upstart crews in the Thunder, Jazz and Trail Blazers).

Say Anthony and Paul do vacate the premises for the Eastern Conference. That would add two more of the league’s top 15 players to an already stacked Eastern Conference mix, leaving even more room to operate for legitimate and aspiring contenders in the West.

When Kobe Bryant‘s death grip on the Western Conference title eases, and it will happen at some point, Williams and his Jazz could be battling it out with Kevin Durant and his Thunder for the top spot annually.

And if those future matchups look anything like what we’ve seen from the Jazz and Thunder lately (check below), we could all be in store for some serious fun in the coming years.

DWill may be rough around the edges, but he is a class act. Utah loves the guy. I hope he is a Jazz lifer.

Deron Williams+Al Jefferson=NBA championship. He's not going anywhere.

+Millsap, +Miles, +AK, +Raja, +Evans, +Campbell's Soup. Man. Best team in the league. No doubt, championship contenders this year. It cannot be denied. I ain't sayin we're winning it, but I AM saying we're legitimate contenders.

"When Kobe Bryant‘s death grip on the Western Conference title eases, and it will happen at some point, Williams and his Jazz could be battling it out with Kevin Durant and his Thunder for the top spot annually."

This is what I've always thought:In two years the lakers are going to be weak. They might not get their threepeat this year, but they won't get a 4th for sure. After that happens I think the Jazz will have a clear shot at the WCC and a championship(and what better way is there to keep D-Will?).

I think almost everyone on ESPN thinks OKC is going to finish first this year in the NW. Of course one idiot picked us 4th in the Northwest. Looks like it will time for us to shock them. Think DWILL will stick, but never say never about him leaving.